Z3 on snowy road

Old November 21st 04, 03:12 AM
Titi24 LSGN Neuchâtel

Default Z3 on snowy road

Does anybody have experience of the Z3 roadster on
snow condition ?

Difficulty, type of wire, way to drive, tips , ....

Thank's

BOB

Old November 21st 04, 01:06 PM
Aldo Larrabiata

"Almost" yes but Coupé 3.0i

FW: 224x45x17
RW :245x40x17
Genuine mounting with Dunlop SP Sport 8080E

Full ice over 15 km on a mountain road (steep sinuous slope to a ski
station). Drove slowly in the highest gear as I could to avoid any skating
albeit the limiter was on.
No problem. Didn't check it in deep snow.

message news: ...

Old November 21st 04, 04:01 PM
Tom Korth

"Titi24 LSGN Neuchâtel" > wrote in message
> Does anybody have experience of the Z3 roadster on
> snow condition ?
>
> Difficulty, type of wire, way to drive, tips , ....
>
> Thank's
>
> BOB

Should be fine with winter tires. Having accidentally gotten caught in 5"
of snow, I wouldn't attempt it again with stock performance rubber. I did
discover that at very low speeds, reverse worked better than 1st or 2nd
(traction control off).

Tom

Old November 21st 04, 04:28 PM
Matt O'Toole

Tom Korth wrote:

> "Titi24 LSGN Neuchâtel" > wrote in message

>> Does anybody have experience of the Z3 roadster on
>> snow condition ?
>>
>> Difficulty, type of wire, way to drive, tips , ....

> Should be fine with winter tires. Having accidentally gotten caught
> in 5" of snow, I wouldn't attempt it again with stock performance
> rubber. I did discover that at very low speeds, reverse worked
> better than 1st or 2nd (traction control off).

My brother drives a Miata all winter in western MA. With snow tires there's no
problem. If anything, the BMW should be easier to handle on slippery roads,
because it has a more supple suspension.

Matt O.

Old November 21st 04, 04:40 PM
David Schultz

Handles anything less than about 4" of snow better than most SUVs.

Things to watch out for: Taller drifts & areas with partial plowing
(light car tends to follow any existing ruts). Packed chunks
of ice/snow from other vehicles....don't have much clearance
for them to pass under the front spoiler.

caveat: All responses above based on use of dedicated snow tires
on a 2.8 liter Z3.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 04:12:29 +0100, "Titi24 LSGN Neuchâtel"

Old November 21st 04, 05:06 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Titi24 LSGN Neuchâtel" > wrote
> Does anybody have experience of the Z3 roadster on
> snow condition ?

I drove a loaner Z3 3.0 for a day while my 330xi was in the shop.
Wasn't as bad as I thought it might be - I was in 1-2 inches of slop/snow,
and the traction was ok as long as you kept your foot out of it.
Didn't go up my steep drive very well, but flat roads and mild hills
were ok.

Floyd

Old November 24th 04, 01:56 PM
Titi24 LSGN Neuchâtel

Thank's for you answers I've now equipped my Z3 with good Bridgeston winter
tires
and it's working good...

But with summer tire on snow it's ... undrivable...
Bye

BOB

NASCAR Question tech27 BMW 46 November 15th 04 11:03 PM
Audi All Road reliability LIW Audi 2 November 3rd 04 08:39 PM
Ticketed for Road Rage! maxima1 BMW 25 October 8th 04 12:02 AM
Road test: Audi A6 3.0 TDI webmaster_audi4u Audi 0 August 25th 04 05:30 PM
A6 Avant - Audi All Road - A6 comparisons? Viper Audi 0 June 29th 04 03:40 PM