Use 10-30 oil for a 1998 Accord? (83K miles)

Old November 16th 04, 01:55 AM
eh

Default Use 10-30 oil for a 1998 Accord? (83K miles)

Hi,

When I went to my usual mechanics this pass weekend to change
oil, he asked me to start filling 10-30 oil from now on. (was 5-30 before)
He said it makes no difference since my car is old and has
significant mileage on it. Is he right? So should I start to fill with 10-30
oil from now on?

My 98 Accord has 83K miles on it, and I live in Sunny California.

Thanks,
EH

Old November 16th 04, 02:27 AM
SoCalMike

Gary wrote:

> 83k is not significant. 283k is significant. Use 5w30...can use 5w20 also,
> that is what my Honda said.
> I use 5w30 myself

if its burning a quart between changes, going with 10w *might* slow that
down. it wont hurt.
Old November 16th 04, 02:29 AM
motsco_ _

eh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I went to my usual mechanics this pass weekend to change
> oil, he asked me to start filling 10-30 oil from now on. (was 5-30 before)
> He said it makes no difference since my car is old and has
> significant mileage on it. Is he right? So should I start to fill with 10-30
> oil from now on?
>
> My 98 Accord has 83K miles on it, and I live in Sunny California.
>

> Thanks,
> EH

He must be a ___________ (fill in the blank with Dodge / Ford / Chev/
etc.) mechanic.

Use 5w-30 or 5w-20 until you hit 400,000 miles, then check back with us.

He was probably just out of the CORRECT stuff.

'Curly'

1998 Accord EX JohnMc Honda 1 October 12th 04 01:26 AM
Low gas mileage for 1998 Accord jbourgeois Honda 7 October 9th 04 01:01 AM
1998 accord battery life Matthew Honda 2 October 8th 04 04:11 AM
FS: 1998 Lincoln Navigator 58k miles Reuven 4x4 0 February 5th 04 09:00 PM