Could it be contaminated differential fluid???

Old August 15th 05, 04:02 PM
bertbarndoor

Default Could it be contaminated differential fluid???

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/x00-901e.pdf

Here is my previous post:

What could this be?

It all started about a week ago. Whenever I turned in one direction
(can't remember if it was right or left) the left rear wheel would
squeek (sounded like it was once per revolution, *squeak* *squeak*
*squeak* faster or slower depending on my speed.

Now, for the last 2 days, the wheel squeaks or groans in any direction.
At low speeds, especially while reversing, it sounds like a major
groan. (like a submarine close to buckleing under metal fatigue from
extreme pressure in the movies) rrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Speeding up, it becomes a screeching or squeaking.

One more thing, not sure if it is related. I had a look at all the
rotors and it seems that in the effected area, there is about a quarter
to a half inch what isn't warn on the outside of the rotor and instead
of the nice shiny metal look, there is some rust. On all my other
rotors, there appears to be clean metal (where the pads contact) right
to the edge of the outside of the rotor.

Any ideas? I'm hoping part of the break pad is screwed up and that's
it. Thanks,

Rob

Old August 17th 05, 05:49 AM
'Curly Q. Links'

bertbarndoor wrote:

> Here is a link to the article:
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/x00-901e.pdf
>
> Here is my previous post:
>
> What could this be?
>
> It all started about a week ago. Whenever I turned in one direction
> (can't remember if it was right or left) the left rear wheel would
> squeek (sounded like it was once per revolution, *squeak* *squeak*
> *squeak* faster or slower depending on my speed.
>
> Now, for the last 2 days, the wheel squeaks or groans in any direction.
> At low speeds, especially while reversing, it sounds like a major
> groan. (like a submarine close to buckleing under metal fatigue from
> extreme pressure in the movies) rrrrrrrrrrrrrr
> Speeding up, it becomes a screeching or squeaking.
>
> One more thing, not sure if it is related. I had a look at all the
> rotors and it seems that in the effected area, there is about a quarter
> to a half inch what isn't warn on the outside of the rotor and instead
> of the nice shiny metal look, there is some rust. On all my other
> rotors, there appears to be clean metal (where the pads contact) right
> to the edge of the outside of the rotor.
>
> Any ideas? I'm hoping part of the break pad is screwed up and that's
> it. Thanks,
>
> Rob

---------------------------

Look thru all of Tegger's FAQ and see the part about siezed caliper
sliders. Sounds like you've got one.
Change the Dual Pump Fluid every 30,000 miles or two years. Add edots to
the chart in the manual. They're missing.

'Curly'
Old August 17th 05, 07:18 PM
TeGGeR®

"bertbarndoor" > wrote in
ups.com:

> One more thing, not sure if it is related. I had a look at all the
> rotors and it seems that in the effected area, there is about a quarter
> to a half inch what isn't warn on the outside of the rotor and instead
> of the nice shiny metal look, there is some rust. On all my other
> rotors, there appears to be clean metal (where the pads contact) right
> to the edge of the outside of the rotor.

Your noise could well be brake related.

You've likely got at least one pad seized on its mount bracket, which
suggests other brake problems as well. Time for a thorough service.

Looking at the outside pads is not enough. You have to see the inner ones
as well. If the outer pad is sticking, extra stress is applied to the inner
pads, and they wear out much faster.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Voyager - Differential Fluid tcl Chrysler 11 August 4th 05 11:38 PM
differential fluid stevett 4x4 10 February 27th 05 09:18 PM
Why Doesn't Checking Xmission Fluid Cold Work? Steve Technology 2 January 24th 05 08:47 PM
changing brake fluid, also ABS Abeness Honda 12 November 22nd 04 05:29 AM