WTF is it with Pennsylvania drivers?

Old October 2nd 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
jcr

Default WTF is it with Pennsylvania drivers?

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Found this rant in another group:
>
> KK > said:
>
>> Okay, one of, if not *the* first thing you learn about highway driving is
>> "keep right, pass left". Right?
>>
>> I live about halfway between the Delaware and Hudson rivers that separate
>> NJ from PA and NY, so there's a significant minority of PA cars on my
>> daily E-W commutes back and forth. I'll guess 5%-10%.
>>
>> Here's what I do when I'm in the left lane. Tell me if I'm doing
>> something wrong: First, if there's nobody in a lane to my right, I get
>> out of the left lane. If there *is* someone in a lane to my right, and
>> I'm not overtaking them, I will find a spot to the right when I can.
>>
>> I am constantly aware of traffic behind me, and when I see someone
>> overtaking me while I'm in the left lane, I make sure to move out of their
>> way - and, unless it's not possible, quickly enough so that they don't
>> have to slow down.
>>
>> Ideally, that's what I'd expect when I'm the overtaking vehicle. I
>> understand, though, that everyone who drives isn't very alert, or aware,
>> and might even be a woman. So I wait patiently behind them (not
>> tailgating) until they notice me, which is usually apparent. At that
>> point, I expect them to try to get to the right.
>>
>> Here's where the behavior of PA drivers diverges from that of others.
>> Even without the universally-accepted-everywhere-but-here quick flash of
>> the high beams, PA drivers become much more defensively possesive of
>> "their" lane, and are much more likely to be the obstinate ass who refuses
>> to move, who slows down - either for the sake of slowing down or to match
>> the speed of other traffic to prevent passing - and, when a person gives
>> up and passes on the right, it's the PA drivers who tend to swerve into
>> the right lane to prevent it, or who give the finger to the passing
>> person, or believes it's the start of a race.
>>
>> It's not just Pennsylvanians with ****ty cars, or slow cars, or fast cars,
>> or expensive cars. Or the old, or the young. They all seem to have no
>> idea that they're supposed to get the **** out of the way, and consider it
>> a challenge to their manliness if someone happens to be in more of a hurry
>> than they are.
>>
>> And I'm not talking about bumper-to-bumper traffic where there's no point
>> in moving up a spot. I'm talking about early-morning I-80 and I-78, where
>> there are more than a few cars but, except for these human speedbumps, the
>> left lane's moving at 80-90MPH.
>>
>> I've repeatedly seen these retards indignantly sit in the left lane, at
>> the head of what looks like a train of 5 or 10 cars behind them, each
>> having to pass on the right, each getting a honk or an obscene gesture
>>from them, or a limp high-beam. How many people have to go around them
>> before these thick-skulled retards realize they're wrong?

Back in the 1970's, the PA police would ticket people frequently for
hanging out in the left lane. At the time, it was very unusual to see
anyone in the left lane at all. The concrete and pavement in the right
lane would be noticeably worn in comparison to the left, in fact. I
guess things have changed in 30 years.
Old October 3rd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
DYM

jcr > wrote in
:

> [...]
>>> I-78, where there are more than a few cars but, except for these
>>> human speedbumps, the left lane's moving at 80-90MPH.
>>>
>>> I've repeatedly seen these retards indignantly sit in the left lane,
>>> at the head of what looks like a train of 5 or 10 cars behind them,
>>> each having to pass on the right, each getting a honk or an obscene
>>> gesture
>>>from them, or a limp high-beam. How many people have to go around
>>>them
>>> before these thick-skulled retards realize they're wrong?

> Back in the 1970's, the PA police would ticket people frequently for
> hanging out in the left lane. At the time, it was very unusual to see
> anyone in the left lane at all. The concrete and pavement in the
> right lane would be noticeably worn in comparison to the left, in
> fact. I guess things have changed in 30 years.

You just described I-176 from Reading to Morgantown to a Tee. Back in the
80's & 90's when I drove it, it got little use. That was before, when it
ended at a stop light at Rt 23. I haven't used that road since they
rebuilt the interchange.

Doug

Old October 3rd 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

jcr wrote:
> [...]
> >> in moving up a spot. I'm talking about early-morning I-80 and I-78, where
> >> there are more than a few cars but, except for these human speedbumps, the
> >> left lane's moving at 80-90MPH.
> >>
> >> I've repeatedly seen these retards indignantly sit in the left lane, at
> >> the head of what looks like a train of 5 or 10 cars behind them, each
> >> having to pass on the right, each getting a honk or an obscene gesture
> >>from them, or a limp high-beam. How many people have to go around them
> >> before these thick-skulled retards realize they're wrong?

> Back in the 1970's, the PA police would ticket people frequently for
> hanging out in the left lane. At the time, it was very unusual to see
> anyone in the left lane at all. The concrete and pavement in the right
> lane would be noticeably worn in comparison to the left, in fact. I

I'm not sure I understand these rants, PA actually passed a more
aggressive anti-LLBing law a few years back, and in general, I would
say that PA drivers are less likely to LLB than Maryland or Northern VA
drivers, by a long shot.

nate