Passenger side door lock on C5-doesn't always work

Old December 9th 11, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default Passenger side door lock on C5-doesn't always work

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Dad" wrote in message
> .. .
>

> "Unquestionably Confused" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 11/30/2011 11:18 AM, Dad wrote:
>>>
>>> "uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>>> .com...

>> [snip]
>>>>>>
>>> Same here, just no reliability at all. Back to the dealer 3 times
>>> in the
>>> first 2 years for their free oil change. Every time I turn around
>>> it has
>>> to have gasoline, and then it was new tires, Will it never end?
>>>
>>> It only has 42,000 miles on it and it's time to get rid of it.
>>> Make me
>>> an offer like you know what you're talking about so I can get the
>>> new
>>> generation on order.

>> Jeez, you guys are such "Doom & Gloomers" Look at the bright side.
>> GM did away with the ash trays now you don't have to worry about
>> them getting filled up <g>
>>
>> I swear, some folks would complain if they were hanged with a new
>> rope!
>>

> I thought the old saying was, "Some people would kick even if they
> were hung with a new rope". (?)
>
> Thanks for bringing something positive to a negative news group.
> Poor
> ol spus didn't even want to take a chance to tell us if Bob I had
> pointed him to an answer to his problem.
>
> Your experience is certainly assuring -- it would seem that this
> newsgroup gives a negative cast to more recent Corvette model. My
> next door neighbor has a C4 roadster which he rarely drives. Heck I
> used my c3s back in my junior officer days as daily transportation.

I'm very close to driving a flexible flyer today, it's not my favorite
Corvette but just think I need another one. Mostly I could use an
automatic. ;-))

It's always good to hear back when someone ask about a problem whether
or not they got it fixed. My guess is that when they are happy they
forget about saying anything like "thank you".

Old December 9th 11, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:27:02 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"tww1491" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Dad" wrote in message
>> .. .
>>

>> "Unquestionably Confused" > wrote in message
>> .com...

>>> [snip]

>>> Jeez, you guys are such "Doom & Gloomers" Look at the bright side.
>>> GM did away with the ash trays now you don't have to worry about
>>> them getting filled up <g>
>>>
>>> I swear, some folks would complain if they were hanged with a new
>>> rope!
>>>

>> I thought the old saying was, "Some people would kick even if they
>> were hung with a new rope". (?)
>>
>> Thanks for bringing something positive to a negative news group.
>> Poor
>> ol spus didn't even want to take a chance to tell us if Bob I had
>> pointed him to an answer to his problem.
>>
>> Your experience is certainly assuring -- it would seem that this
>> newsgroup gives a negative cast to more recent Corvette model. My
>> next door neighbor has a C4 roadster which he rarely drives. Heck I
>> used my c3s back in my junior officer days as daily transportation.
>>

>I'm very close to driving a flexible flyer today, it's not my favorite
>Corvette but just think I need another one. Mostly I could use an
>automatic. ;-))
>
>It's always good to hear back when someone ask about a problem whether
>or not they got it fixed. My guess is that when they are happy they
>forget about saying anything like "thank you".

Thank you for your reply (there!) to my question about a C6 and a
seatbelt light.

When I went out to check it out turns out that it wasn't a seatbelt
light but an airbag light. More of a worry. It is intermittently on
(passenger side) and seems to be on more lately. Any ideas?
Old December 9th 11, 07:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"brian" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:27:02 -0500, "Dad" >
> wrote:
>

>>"tww1491" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Dad" wrote in message
>>> .. .
>>>

>>> "Unquestionably Confused" > wrote in
>>> message
>>> .com...

>>> I thought the old saying was, "Some people would kick even if they
>>> were hung with a new rope". (?)
>>>
>>> Thanks for bringing something positive to a negative news group.
>>> Poor
>>> ol spus didn't even want to take a chance to tell us if Bob I had
>>> pointed him to an answer to his problem.
>>>
>>> Your experience is certainly assuring -- it would seem that this
>>> newsgroup gives a negative cast to more recent Corvette model. My
>>> next door neighbor has a C4 roadster which he rarely drives. Heck
>>> used my c3s back in my junior officer days as daily
>>> transportation.
>>>

>>I'm very close to driving a flexible flyer today, it's not my
>>favorite
>>Corvette but just think I need another one. Mostly I could use an
>>automatic. ;-))
>>
>>It's always good to hear back when someone ask about a problem
>>whether
>>or not they got it fixed. My guess is that when they are happy they
>>forget about saying anything like "thank you".

> Thank you for your reply (there!) to my question about a C6 and a
> seatbelt light.
>
> When I went out to check it out turns out that it wasn't a seatbelt
> light but an airbag light. More of a worry. It is intermittently on
> (passenger side) and seems to be on more lately. Any ideas?

Thank you helps but knowing that the fix was found is better.

You're right on the air bag, seat belt has nothing to do with it. Did
you try to turn off and on the passenger side air bag with your key?
It may have been used and just not turned off properly. On my '05 the
key switch is on the right hand side of the glove compartment door.

Have you had the car since new?

Old December 10th 11, 12:02 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:59:37 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>> Thank you for your reply (there!) to my question about a C6 and a
>> seatbelt light.
>>
>> When I went out to check it out turns out that it wasn't a seatbelt
>> light but an airbag light. More of a worry. It is intermittently on
>> (passenger side) and seems to be on more lately. Any ideas?
>>

>Thank you helps but knowing that the fix was found is better.
>
>You're right on the air bag, seat belt has nothing to do with it. Did
>you try to turn off and on the passenger side air bag with your key?
>It may have been used and just not turned off properly. On my '05 the
>key switch is on the right hand side of the glove compartment door.
>
>Have you had the car since new?

Yea, since new and never touched that turn off for the passenger's air
bag.

Car's got about 30K miles and it sit for half of most every year with
charger. I have no issues with anything but lately there are
electrical "malfunctions" like the driver's seat not moving to the
retracted back position when I shut it down. The airbag started
showing up last year just before I put the car away for the summer.
Then this year the airbag light problem seemed to be more of an issue
staying on at least 50% of the time. If it is just a light being on I
am not so alarmed, but if the air bag is actually disabled then it is
a PROBLEM.
Old December 10th 11, 12:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"brian" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:59:37 -0500, "Dad" >
> wrote:
>

>>> Thank you for your reply (there!) to my question about a C6 and a
>>> seatbelt light.
>>>
>>> When I went out to check it out turns out that it wasn't a
>>> seatbelt
>>> light but an airbag light. More of a worry. It is intermittently
>>> on
>>> (passenger side) and seems to be on more lately. Any ideas?
>>>

>>Thank you helps but knowing that the fix was found is better.
>>
>>You're right on the air bag, seat belt has nothing to do with it.
>>Did
>>you try to turn off and on the passenger side air bag with your key?
>>It may have been used and just not turned off properly. On my '05
>>the
>>key switch is on the right hand side of the glove compartment door.
>>
>>Have you had the car since new?

> Yea, since new and never touched that turn off for the passenger's
> air
> bag.
>
> Car's got about 30K miles and it sit for half of most every year
> with
> charger. I have no issues with anything but lately there are
> electrical "malfunctions" like the driver's seat not moving to the
> retracted back position when I shut it down. The airbag started
> showing up last year just before I put the car away for the summer.
> Then this year the airbag light problem seemed to be more of an
> issue
> staying on at least 50% of the time. If it is just a light being on
> am not so alarmed, but if the air bag is actually disabled then it
> is
> a PROBLEM.

One of the problems with a Corvette is in your statement, it sits
unused. Next is it's ground and other corrosion that creeps into
connectors from inactivity. Clean your grounds and protect/clean them
with PT-9 Boeshield, it can be found in some woodworking, bicycle,
boating, and gun shops. The two main grounds are just forward of the
front axle and on top of the frame in the engine compartment, start
there.

That same cleaning effort should work if the original poster followed
Bob I's advice.

Old December 10th 11, 12:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 18:42:55 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"brian" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Thank you helps but knowing that the fix was found is better.
>>>
>>>You're right on the air bag, seat belt has nothing to do with it.
>>>Did
>>>you try to turn off and on the passenger side air bag with your key?
>>>It may have been used and just not turned off properly. On my '05
>>>the
>>>key switch is on the right hand side of the glove compartment door.
>>>
>>>Have you had the car since new?

>> Yea, since new and never touched that turn off for the passenger's
>> air
>> bag.
>>
>> Car's got about 30K miles and it sit for half of most every year
>> with
>> charger. I have no issues with anything but lately there are
>> electrical "malfunctions" like the driver's seat not moving to the
>> retracted back position when I shut it down. The airbag started
>> showing up last year just before I put the car away for the summer.
>> Then this year the airbag light problem seemed to be more of an
>> issue
>> staying on at least 50% of the time. If it is just a light being on
>> am not so alarmed, but if the air bag is actually disabled then it
>> is
>> a PROBLEM.

>One of the problems with a Corvette is in your statement, it sits
>unused. Next is it's ground and other corrosion that creeps into
>connectors from inactivity. Clean your grounds and protect/clean them
>with PT-9 Boeshield, it can be found in some woodworking, bicycle,
>boating, and gun shops. The two main grounds are just forward of the
>front axle and on top of the frame in the engine compartment, start
>there.
>
>That same cleaning effort should work if the original poster followed
>Bob I's advice.

Sounds reasonable.

I'll check it out (locate the connections) in the next couple days and
if it is easily accessed I make the fix. If it requires much
contortion to reach, it will have to wait as I am a bit sore from a
recent roll over accident and am wearing one of those padded plastic
neck braces. Got to keep that rubber on the ground............

In your opinion is the airbag disabled by this?

Thanks ahead for the hints, be well.
Old December 10th 11, 01:11 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"brian" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 18:42:55 -0500, "Dad" >
> wrote:
>
>>"brian" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Yea, since new and never touched that turn off for the passenger's
>>> air
>>> bag.
>>>
>>> Car's got about 30K miles and it sit for half of most every year
>>> with
>>> charger. I have no issues with anything but lately there are
>>> electrical "malfunctions" like the driver's seat not moving to the
>>> retracted back position when I shut it down. The airbag started
>>> showing up last year just before I put the car away for the
>>> summer.
>>> Then this year the airbag light problem seemed to be more of an
>>> issue
>>> staying on at least 50% of the time. If it is just a light being
>>> on
>>> am not so alarmed, but if the air bag is actually disabled then it
>>> is
>>> a PROBLEM.

>>One of the problems with a Corvette is in your statement, it sits
>>unused. Next is it's ground and other corrosion that creeps into
>>connectors from inactivity. Clean your grounds and protect/clean
>>them
>>with PT-9 Boeshield, it can be found in some woodworking, bicycle,
>>boating, and gun shops. The two main grounds are just forward of the
>>front axle and on top of the frame in the engine compartment, start
>>there.
>>
>>That same cleaning effort should work if the original poster
>>followed
>>Bob I's advice.

> Sounds reasonable.
>
> I'll check it out (locate the connections) in the next couple days
> and
> if it is easily accessed I make the fix. If it requires much
> contortion to reach, it will have to wait as I am a bit sore from a
> recent roll over accident and am wearing one of those padded plastic
> neck braces. Got to keep that rubber on the ground............
>
> In your opinion is the airbag disabled by this?

Can't answer that but I could read the codes with my laptop and tell
you what it might be, otherwise you'll have to take it to an auto
parts store to get it read. Myself I would worry more about it being
activated when it shouldn't, I don't like then and would feel safe
without then as long as I was belted in properly.

You will have no problems finding the grounds, with the hood open you
could reach both of them without bending over to much.

Old December 10th 11, 01:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 19:11:57 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"brian" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 18:42:55 -0500, "Dad" >
>> wrote:

>>>One of the problems with a Corvette is in your statement, it sits
>>>unused. Next is it's ground and other corrosion that creeps into
>>>connectors from inactivity. Clean your grounds and protect/clean
>>>them
>>>with PT-9 Boeshield, it can be found in some woodworking, bicycle,
>>>boating, and gun shops. The two main grounds are just forward of the
>>>front axle and on top of the frame in the engine compartment, start
>>>there.
>>>
>>>That same cleaning effort should work if the original poster
>>>followed
>>>Bob I's advice.

>> Sounds reasonable.
>>
>> I'll check it out (locate the connections) in the next couple days
>> and
>> if it is easily accessed I make the fix. If it requires much
>> contortion to reach, it will have to wait as I am a bit sore from a
>> recent roll over accident and am wearing one of those padded plastic
>> neck braces. Got to keep that rubber on the ground............
>>
>> In your opinion is the airbag disabled by this?
>>

>Can't answer that but I could read the codes with my laptop and tell
>you what it might be, otherwise you'll have to take it to an auto
>parts store to get it read. Myself I would worry more about it being
>activated when it shouldn't, I don't like then and would feel safe
>without then as long as I was belted in properly.

Always belted, but really want the bags, have some experience there.

>You will have no problems finding the grounds, with the hood open you
>could reach both of them without bending over to much.

Good news, thanks I'll get on it in the next few days.
Old June 9th 13, 05:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Sunday, October 23, 2011 4:57:46 PM UTC-4, spus wrote:
> Seems occasionally the right door won't unlock . Is there a fix for this?

My 2000 started to erratically unlock the pass side door then quit altogether in 2006. It wasn't critical so I didn't bother to replace the actuator - kind of a pain repair. Then in 2010, it started working again and still does!! What the hell? My 2009 Malibu had the same problem in 2011 and GM replaced he actuator. I think they have some re-engineering to do on these things!

Old June 9th 13, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5