97 M3-floating rotors or After market solid rotor?

Old December 5th 04, 11:28 PM
Abs

Default 97 M3-floating rotors or After market solid rotor?

My front rotors are near the end of their life and I have priced some
replacements. The Genuine rotors are $AU285ea while after market ones
are$AU70ea. My question is, is it worth paying the extra cash? I have had no
problems and on the few track days I go to a year the brakes have been
wonderful. I'm willing to pay more but am I just throwing money away?
Thanks in Advance
Hany.

Old December 6th 04, 12:49 AM
Jim Levie

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:28:22 +1100, Abs wrote:

> My front rotors are near the end of their life and I have priced some
> replacements. The Genuine rotors are $AU285ea while after market ones
> are$AU70ea. My question is, is it worth paying the extra cash? I have had
> no problems and on the few track days I go to a year the brakes have been
> wonderful. I'm willing to pay more but am I just throwing money away?
> Thanks in Advance
> Hany.

If you track the car I'd suggest either the OEM rotors or high-performance
grooved rotors. Personally I can't see the point of cross-drilling, other
than it looks neat. Seems to me that drilling holes in the rotors only
reduces the surface area in contact with the pads. The grooves, on the
other hand, don't substantially reduce the contact area and do provide
escape paths for the vaporised pad material in hard breaking.

I may not be the only one that thinks this way. At a recent Rolex Cup race
I didn't see anyone running drilled rotors when I wandered the pits. But I
did see lots of grooved rotors.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old December 6th 04, 02:53 AM
Abs

I agree regarding the cross drilled, mostly for show rather than anything
else. The OEM perform flawlessly and I've heard are less likely to warp than
the aftermarket ones. I was just wondering if the aftermarket ones are any
good considering they are a quarter the price of the OEM's. I will most
likely get the OEMs.
Thanks
Hany
news

Old December 6th 04, 03:14 AM
Mike G

"Abs" > wrote in message
> My front rotors are near the end of their life and I have priced some
> replacements. The Genuine rotors are $AU285ea while after market ones
> are$AU70ea. My question is, is it worth paying the extra cash? I have had

no
> problems and on the few track days I go to a year the brakes have been
> wonderful. I'm willing to pay more but am I just throwing money away?
> Thanks in Advance
> Hany.

As long as the after market ones come from a reputable manufacturer, I'd
advise buying them.
My BM doesn't have OE discs, neither does my Celica GT4 turbo.
I can't tell the difference from OE ones with either.
Mike.

Old December 6th 04, 05:56 AM
Jim Levie

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:53:51 +1100, Abs wrote:

> I agree regarding the cross drilled, mostly for show rather than anything
> else. The OEM perform flawlessly and I've heard are less likely to warp
> than the aftermarket ones. I was just wondering if the aftermarket ones
> are any good considering they are a quarter the price of the OEM's. I will
> most likely get the OEMs.

If you weren't taking the car to the track and it wasn't an M I wouldn't
hesitate to use non-OEM rotors from a major manufacturer. That not being
the case I'd either go for OEM , or better yet the grooved performance
rotors. Given the OEM price I suspect grooved rotors for your M3 will be
comparable in price.

BTW: Were the non-OEM's you were looking floating rotors specifically for
an M3?

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old December 6th 04, 11:28 PM
Abs

The non OEM rotors weren't floating they were a one piece rotor for the M3
so they were made in a left and a right. Most of the spare parts guys didn't
know what a floating rotor was and wasted a lot of time trying to convince
me that they were the same as what the car had originally. When I showed
them they car they didn't have much to say afterwards.
Hany.
news

Old December 6th 04, 11:31 PM
Abs

The aftermarket ones I've found are from Zimmerman and Brembo, so they are
good quality but I'm not sure they are as good as OEM especially in regard
to heat dissipation.
Hany.

Old December 8th 04, 07:03 AM
tech27

"Abs" > wrote in message
> My front rotors are near the end of their life and I have priced some
> replacements. The Genuine rotors are $AU285ea while after market ones
> are$AU70ea. My question is, is it worth paying the extra cash? I have had
> no problems and on the few track days I go to a year the brakes have been
> wonderful. I'm willing to pay more but am I just throwing money away?
> Thanks in Advance
> Hany.

Not at all. Floating rotors are far superior, just make sure you get a
quality set. Many guys at the track days I go to use them and love them. It
is generally accepted that they are far superior, but they are not
considered good for everyday driving - for some reason I can't remember, but
IIRC it has to do with long term safety and wear, as opposed to performance.

Old December 8th 04, 11:33 PM
Abs

Thanks I think that seals it, I will buy the floating rotors from BMW.
Hany.
o.verio.net...

Old December 9th 04, 12:53 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article rio.net>,
tech27 > wrote:
> Not at all. Floating rotors are far superior, just make sure you get a
> quality set.

It's probably a language thing, but what's a floating rotor?

(and not disc for rotor - sorted that out years ago ;-))

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.