Terminal engine noise?

Old August 25th 13, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default Terminal engine noise?

In the vague hope that anyone is still reading this group,
Lesley's 147 2.0TS broke down, and the engine sounds
terminal, but just in case, anyone have a clue what this
noise might be caused by?

http://youtu.be/20rTggU6xow

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old August 26th 13, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
R C Nesbit > wrote:
> In the vague hope that anyone is still reading this group,
> Lesley's 147 2.0TS broke down, and the engine sounds
> terminal, but just in case, anyone have a clue what this
> noise might be caused by?
>
> http://youtu.be/20rTggU6xow

I would read here every day, if there was something to read. ;-)

Ouch! My first guess would be piston rod bearings. But I would get
a decent diagnosis before you do anything. And try not to run the
engine in the mean time. If it's the bearings, the crankshaft also
needs to be replaced.

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

I thought there was something fishy about the butler. Probably a Pisces,
working for scale.
-- Firesign Theatre, "The Further Adventures of Nick Danger"
Old December 12th 13, 06:06 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

R C Nesbit spoke:
> In the vague hope that anyone is still reading this group,
> Lesley's 147 2.0TS broke down, and the engine sounds
> terminal, but just in case, anyone have a clue what this
> noise might be caused by?
>
> http://youtu.be/20rTggU6xow

The 147 has been languishing in the garage since then, but we
put it on ebay for spares or repair.

But.

Someone popped up with a message to say that the noise was
the variator, and was not expensive to fix (he wasn't
offering to fix it, just trying to be helpfull!)

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Engine noise Moses[_2_] Chrysler 3 May 7th 07 10:30 AM
New Noise - Engine noise while in Drive - '02 1.8T Quattro CDN_THNK_TNK Audi 8 August 24th 06 04:41 PM
3.3l engine noise [email protected] Chrysler 5 July 9th 06 10:27 AM
engine noise rs95 Ford Explorer 0 June 26th 06 02:52 PM
Engine rattling noise and rough engine idle at cold start mk Ford Explorer 0 June 10th 05 12:26 PM