fuel reserve

Old May 12th 06, 10:21 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default fuel reserve

How much fuel is left when the light comes on?
2 models
1997(R) A4 1.8 (wife's)
1999(T) A6 1.8T (mine)

Old May 12th 06, 12:06 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"big AL" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How much fuel is left when the light comes on?
> 2 models
> 1997(R) A4 1.8 (wife's)
> 1999(T) A6 1.8T (mine)

They ought to be about the same - we have a 96 A4 & a 98 VW Passat & both
will take around 51-52 litres to fill a 60 litre tank when the light comes
on. I'd work on around 8 litres (near enough 2 US Gallons) being left to
empty (if the thing would get it all out the tank). Either way I wouldn't
push it much past 40-50 miles. There is a school of thought that its not a
good idea to run the fuel right down anyway - can't remember why though!
(search the Audiworld forums if you really need to know!)

I.

Old May 12th 06, 04:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Iain Miller wrote:
> There is a school of thought that its not a
> good idea to run the fuel right down anyway - can't remember why though!

Tends to dredge up all the gunk and stuff that settles to the bottom of
the tank.

--
Mike Smith
Old May 12th 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Big Al, wouldn't it be simple to go and fill up when the light comes on
and see how much it takes?? That way, you would know for sure for your
particular car(s).....

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old May 12th 06, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Iain Miller wrote:
> "big AL" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>How much fuel is left when the light comes on?
>>2 models
>>1997(R) A4 1.8 (wife's)
>>1999(T) A6 1.8T (mine)

> They ought to be about the same - we have a 96 A4 & a 98 VW Passat & both
> will take around 51-52 litres to fill a 60 litre tank when the light comes
> on. I'd work on around 8 litres (near enough 2 US Gallons) being left to
> empty (if the thing would get it all out the tank). Either way I wouldn't
> push it much past 40-50 miles. There is a school of thought that its not a
> good idea to run the fuel right down anyway - can't remember why though!
> (search the Audiworld forums if you really need to know!)

Jeremy Clarkson (of Top Gear fame) did a test with an A6 IIRC from
London to Edinburgh and back on 1 tank of fuel, interesting episode if
you can get hold of it.

Old May 12th 06, 06:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

The fuel pump motor is cooled by the gas in the tank. When it gets near empty
the pump is no longer immersed in fuel and tends to heat up had sometimes burn out.

Old May 12th 06, 06:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Graham" > wrote in message
> Iain Miller wrote:
>> "big AL" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>>>How much fuel is left when the light comes on?
>>>2 models
>>>1997(R) A4 1.8 (wife's)
>>>1999(T) A6 1.8T (mine)

>> They ought to be about the same - we have a 96 A4 & a 98 VW Passat & both
>> will take around 51-52 litres to fill a 60 litre tank when the light
>> comes on. I'd work on around 8 litres (near enough 2 US Gallons) being
>> left to empty (if the thing would get it all out the tank). Either way I
>> wouldn't push it much past 40-50 miles. There is a school of thought that
>> its not a good idea to run the fuel right down anyway - can't remember
>> why though! (search the Audiworld forums if you really need to know!)

> Jeremy Clarkson (of Top Gear fame) did a test with an A6 IIRC from London
> to Edinburgh and back on 1 tank of fuel, interesting episode if you can
> get hold of it.

Saw it - it was a diesel thing IIRC. Did the whole thing as a max fuel
economy run - drove as carefully as possible with no AC, no windows open, no
radio on etc etc. He made it - just - something like 850 miles out of one
tank of diesel - not a bad effort but must have been as dull as hell to do!

I.

Old May 15th 06, 10:51 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

thanks 1 and all

Old May 15th 06, 01:51 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Tony said -

The fuel pump motor is cooled by the gas in the tank. When it gets near
empty
the pump is no longer immersed in fuel and tends to heat up had
sometimes burn out.

Really?? Seems to me you wouldn't want anything 'heating up' inside the
fuel tank! I know it's actually gasoline vapor that is combustible, but
still....

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old May 15th 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

My source is the T44 AudiWorld forum that is populated by some impressively
technical people who work on their own cars.

A number of threads have mentioned this as an issue.

Dano58 wrote:
> Tony said -
>
> The fuel pump motor is cooled by the gas in the tank. When it gets near
> empty
> the pump is no longer immersed in fuel and tends to heat up had
> sometimes burn out.
>
> Really?? Seems to me you wouldn't want anything 'heating up' inside the
> fuel tank! I know it's actually gasoline vapor that is combustible, but
> still....
>
> Dan D
> '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> Central NJ USA

Relieving Fuel System Pressure Ford Ranger Nehmo Technology 6 April 23rd 06 07:23 PM
Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM