Ultimate wire harness?

Old January 2nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Ultimate wire harness?

Hey, let's say one wanted to put together their own "dream" wire
harness using top quality wire, connectors, retaining clips, loom,
fuse block/breaker panel, etc.

This would be for a custom built offroad vehicle so no off the shelf
option exists.

Thanks

Jay
Old January 2nd 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

jj > wrote:
>Hey, let's say one wanted to put together their own "dream" wire
>harness using top quality wire, connectors, retaining clips, loom,
>fuse block/breaker panel, etc.
>
>This would be for a custom built offroad vehicle so no off the shelf
>option exists.

Okay. Sounds fine to me.
--scott

Old January 2nd 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

jj wrote:
> Hey, let's say one wanted to put together their own "dream" wire
> harness using top quality wire, connectors, retaining clips, loom,
> fuse block/breaker panel, etc.

OK, lets say one wanted to put together one.

> This would be for a custom built offroad vehicle so no off the shelf
> option exists.

OK, it would be for custom offroad vehicle.

You've left me hanging - what is the point of this message.

Old January 3rd 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

jj wrote:
> Hey, let's say one wanted to put together their own "dream" wire
> harness using top quality wire, connectors, retaining clips, loom,
> fuse block/breaker panel, etc.
>
> This would be for a custom built offroad vehicle so no off the shelf
> option exists.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jay

sure it does, there's several mfgrs. that build fuse blocks with
extra-long, marked leads for all the common accessories for just this
purpose. Now what's the best of *those?* Don't have an answer for you;
the only "custom" vehicles I've had were my old '49 Chev street rod
project, which I threw a wiring harness and fuseblock in from an old
Chevy pickup (worked like a champ, believe it or not, but I sold the car
before it ever got driveable) and my current '55 Stude, which I managed
to salvage the stock wiring harness from (it was originally 6V, so the
wires are nice and beefy. 8 gauge from the generator even, so it should
still be good with my Delco alternator)

I will say this, one wire alternators are a shortcut. Speedway sells a
little adapter harness with a diode in it to use a 3-wire Delco without
an idiot light. I've noticed a distinct increase in charging since
switching to a 3-wire. Voltage still drops off at idle though, and I've
checked my pulley ratio and everything (greater than 3:1 which is what
I've heard to be the guideline,) and the sense wire is connected where
it should be, at the starter solenoid (i.e. the end of the battery
cable) not sure why that is...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 3rd 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

jj wrote:

> Hey, let's say one wanted to put together their own "dream" wire
> harness using top quality wire, connectors, retaining clips, loom,
> fuse block/breaker panel, etc.
>
> This would be for a custom built offroad vehicle so no off the shelf
> option exists.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jay

Good idea but it's been done before.
Old January 3rd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

jj wrote:

> What vendors/manufacturer would you recommend for these components?
> What type of wire insulation is the best for such an application?
> What style of connector would maintain a solid electrical connection
> yet be easy to disconnnect even though it is exposed to water, dirt,
> etc.

Surprisingly, crimped connectors can be more reliable than soldered
ones. Unless tied down VERY well, the solder wicks up into stranded
wire, leaving a solid-to-stranded transistion point that is subject to
breaking under vibration. Crimped connectors are popular in aerospace
industry. You can even buy "certified" crimping tools.

Use standed wire because it is more vibration resistant.

258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Wire harness for an 85 CrazyDave Ford Mustang 4 March 21st 05 09:21 PM
Wire Harness for 84 Rabbit GTI Lee VW water cooled 1 January 10th 05 10:53 PM
CD Changer wire harness colours/what they do? Rob Guenther VW water cooled 10 December 2nd 04 09:42 PM