Controller woes in rFactor

Old September 6th 05, 03:53 PM
Remco Moedt

Default Controller woes in rFactor

As I wrote earlier, I've a problem configuring my wheel in rFactor.
The wheel in question is an Hyperstim, connected to the gameport.
(Yeah yeah, ancient technology) In the Windows Game Controller applet,
and the Papyrus games (NR2003 & GPL) this is working fine, using
DirectInput, or the Generic driver.

I can get rFactor to recognize the wheel, that part is working well. I
can also select the right axis, even the direction is ok But, it's
spiking like mad, always to one side. I dismantled my hyper to reverse
the steering potentiometer, since it was the wrong way around before,
thinking this was the cause of the problem, but it turned out not
being so.

What did happen was that the spiking was now the other way around. I
must add that my accelerator does have the same problem, albeit a
little less. The brake is fine.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this behaviour?

TIA,

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 6th 05, 04:38 PM
whooo

Remco Moedt wrote:
> As I wrote earlier, I've a problem configuring my wheel in rFactor.
> The wheel in question is an Hyperstim, connected to the gameport.
> (Yeah yeah, ancient technology) In the Windows Game Controller applet,
> and the Papyrus games (NR2003 & GPL) this is working fine, using
> DirectInput, or the Generic driver.
>
> I can get rFactor to recognize the wheel, that part is working well. I
> can also select the right axis, even the direction is ok But, it's
> spiking like mad, always to one side. I dismantled my hyper to reverse
> the steering potentiometer, since it was the wrong way around before,
> thinking this was the cause of the problem, but it turned out not
> being so.
>
> What did happen was that the spiking was now the other way around. I
> must add that my accelerator does have the same problem, albeit a
> little less. The brake is fine.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this behaviour?
>
> TIA,
>

> Cheers!
>

> Remco

Sounds like bad pots to me.
Old September 6th 05, 04:45 PM
Remco Moedt

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:38:29 GMT, whooo > wrote:

>Remco Moedt wrote:
>> As I wrote earlier, I've a problem configuring my wheel in rFactor.
>> The wheel in question is an Hyperstim, connected to the gameport.
>> (Yeah yeah, ancient technology) In the Windows Game Controller applet,
>> and the Papyrus games (NR2003 & GPL) this is working fine, using
>> DirectInput, or the Generic driver.
>>
>> I can get rFactor to recognize the wheel, that part is working well. I
>> can also select the right axis, even the direction is ok But, it's
>> spiking like mad, always to one side. I dismantled my hyper to reverse
>> the steering potentiometer, since it was the wrong way around before,
>> thinking this was the cause of the problem, but it turned out not
>> being so.
>>
>> What did happen was that the spiking was now the other way around. I
>> must add that my accelerator does have the same problem, albeit a
>> little less. The brake is fine.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this behaviour?
>>
>> TIA,
>>

>> Cheers!
>>

>> Remco
>>

>Sounds like bad pots to me.

But then I should see the spiking in the game controller applet,
NR2003 and GPL aswell.....there the values are rocksolid.

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 7th 05, 02:41 AM
Dave Henrie

no@email (Remco Moedt) wrote in :

>>Sounds like bad pots to me.

> But then I should see the spiking in the game controller applet,
> NR2003 and GPL aswell.....there the values are rocksolid.
>
> Cheers!
>

> Remco

Papyrus has a complete controller applet that is independant of
Windows. It goes back to the dos days when programmers had to write that
stuff themselves.
ISI has always used windows based controllers. So my guess is, you are
using a soundport with Windows XP. From what I understand, XP does not
work will with soundports. My guess is, the Papy dedicated controller code
avoids the issue, but the ISI sims cannot since they work with windows.

dave henrie
Old September 7th 05, 07:34 AM
whooo

Dave Henrie wrote:
> no@email (Remco Moedt) wrote in :
>

>>>Sounds like bad pots to me.

>>But then I should see the spiking in the game controller applet,
>>NR2003 and GPL aswell.....there the values are rocksolid.
>>
>>Cheers!
>>

>>Remco
>>

> Papyrus has a complete controller applet that is independant of
> Windows. It goes back to the dos days when programmers had to write that
> stuff themselves.
> ISI has always used windows based controllers. So my guess is, you are
> using a soundport with Windows XP. From what I understand, XP does not
> work will with soundports. My guess is, the Papy dedicated controller code
> avoids the issue, but the ISI sims cannot since they work with windows.
>
> dave henrie

Using a soundport and XP here, without any problems.
Old September 7th 05, 08:07 AM
Peter

2005-09-07, Dave Henrie wrote:

> Papyrus has a complete controller applet that is independant of
> Windows. It goes back to the dos days when programmers had to write that
> stuff themselves.
> ISI has always used windows based controllers. So my guess is, you are
> using a soundport with Windows XP. From what I understand, XP does not

Is that the old interface which used to be on a soundcard? I am using
that; I still use my very nice CH Products Pedals, together with an
el-cheapo USB Wheel. No problems in rFactor (neither in GTR), lots of
other sims (LFS, racer) have problems with this setup.

-peter

Old September 7th 05, 08:59 PM
Remco Moedt

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:41:50 -0500, Dave Henrie
> wrote:

>no@email (Remco Moedt) wrote in :
>

>>>Sounds like bad pots to me.

>> But then I should see the spiking in the game controller applet,
>> NR2003 and GPL aswell.....there the values are rocksolid.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>

>> Remco
>>

> Papyrus has a complete controller applet that is independant of
>Windows. It goes back to the dos days when programmers had to write that
>stuff themselves.
> ISI has always used windows based controllers. So my guess is, you are
>using a soundport with Windows XP. From what I understand, XP does not
>work will with soundports. My guess is, the Papy dedicated controller code
>avoids the issue, but the ISI sims cannot since they work with windows.

I used the DirectInput driver in GPL and NR2003, both worked fine.

Also the Game Controller Applet in Windows doesn't give me the noise.

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 8th 05, 11:41 PM
Remco Moedt

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:22:32 -0400, "David G Fisher" >
wrote:

>"Remco Moedt" <no@email> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:05:45 -0500, "PlowBoy" >
>> wrote:
>>>

>> You can't turn off the music in the PLR file.
>>
>> When you turn down the volume in rFactor to 0%, it still plays the
>> music.

>This is just a wild guess, but what happens if you delete the music mp3
>file?

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot that TBone from ISI suggested the
same. Well, the music stops, but the spikes are still there. At least
I now know it's not the music. Back to the drawingboard I guess...

Thx.

Cheers!

Remco
Old September 9th 05, 03:49 PM
PlowBoy

WHOO,

He type-o'd Microsoft Published a paper about 'limiting' support for
gameports, to the end & extent of which, even killed the gameport version of
the Sidewinder wheels & gamepads in XP. Things change, USB replaced the
gameport, CD's did likewise to the floppy, serial mouse & keyboard ports are
done via USB moslty now, and the 8bit &16bit isa slots, when was the last
computer you bought (above 1.5 ghz) that had those. things go away with
time and so does the support for them. However if someone wants it, I have
one of those thrustmaster ACM cards, I found in the box the other day
rearranging the basement... allows you to tune it both of it's gameports on
that 16 bit isa card though

whooo enlightened us with:

Old September 9th 05, 04:05 PM
PlowBoy

Remco...

I bet you, the root of the problem is how much of a task the software &
drivers is on the system... sidewinder drivers prolly do things, like
buffer on a couple CPU cycles and? Well, i read your problem, and seem ISI
stuff is pretty bloated. so I was Thinking of code and execution here,
where as you prolly having the "Visual Basic" coded generic driver support
with overhead & 'just in case code that is still in there', where as, rest
of us have drivers coded in assembly, without the fat... again that is my
anology to it, now your CPU & GAME are tied up calculating polygons &
physics and in there it has to ask, "OK where is the wheel, brake, &
Throttle" and the driver which is still (imagining opening NEW Microsoft
Internet explorer, EVERY time you want to view a different page) well the
driver didnt have the answer yet, so CPU and stuff gets, "um hell I dont
know yet, still polling xx" cpu goes "**** I gotta go..." and a unset
(random number generated) variable is thrown in as the input... which is
seen as a spike...

Just me and my theory

Remco Moedt enlightened us with: