Comcast Dropping Usenet

Old September 21st 08, 04:29 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Starscream

Default Comcast Dropping Usenet

Michael Johnson wrote:

> Thanks for the link. What is the Outgoing Server SMTP setting for this
> server? I didn't see it listed anywhere.

Just use your ISP's SMTP server (same as for email)
Old September 21st 08, 06:03 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Michael Johnson wrote:
> dwight wrote:
>> "nospam" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/
>>>
>>> I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

>> Again... Go to motzarella.org and get yourself set up with a free
>> newsgroup account. You don't have to miss a thing, and it will work
>> just as well as Comcast with your Outlook Express.

> Thanks for the link. What is the Outgoing Server SMTP setting for this
> server? I didn't see it listed anywhere.

SMTP is outgoing email. You'd use whatever SMTP you have been like
smtp.erols.com. The only time the SMTP will be used is if you reply to
all or reply to sender only instead of reply to group.

--

"Don't argue what you don't understand" - Johnny Rebel

Old September 21st 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam[_2_]

"William Tell" > wrote in message .. .
> "dwight" > wrote in message
> Go to motzarella.org and get yourself set up with a free newsgroup
> > account. You don't have to miss a thing, and it will work just as well as
> > Comcast with your Outlook Express.

> I tried to use Motzarella, but the only newsgroups that show up on the list
> in my Outlook, are the 12 that are also listed at their site (motzarella and
> posenet groups....info, grouprequests, new users, etc.)

You have to setup an account/password, and login.

Old September 21st 08, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
MasterBlaster

"William Tell" wrote

> Go to motzarella.org and get yourself set up with a free newsgroup account.

> I tried to use Motzarella, but the only newsgroups that show up on the list
> in my Outlook, are the 12 that are also listed at their site (motzarella and
> posenet groups....info, grouprequests, new users, etc.)

Did you register?
http://news.motzarella.org/index.php...#Login-No-Auth

---- I can only see the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.*

... These hierarchies are open for reading and posting without registration. You have
... either forgotten to configure your client to use your username and password or the
... client does not send the user data, as it assumes they are not required.

Did you set Outlook to use authentication, and "refresh " the full list of groups?
http://news.motzarella.org/index.php...freshGroupList

---- I have now set up my news client to use authentication and I still don't see all newsgroups

... Motzarella allows posting to a limited number of groups, without authentication.

... When the news reader first connects, it gets a list of groups it is allowed to
... see/post to. From this point on, the news readers only asks for a list of new
... groups, when it connects.

... Once you set the news reader to always authenticate, and give it the correct
... username/password, the rest of the groups will be allowed, but as they are not
... new groups from the server's point of view, they will not be listed in the list of
... "new groups". The only way to get the rest of the groups, is to force the news
... reader to get the full list of groups again, after the authentication has been setup.

Old September 21st 08, 09:53 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
William Tell

Old September 21st 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
William Tell

"nospam" > wrote in message > You have to setup an account/password,
and login.

Yes, I did that before I ever opened the account in Outlook. Do you mean
that I have to be logged into the website at the same time I have Outlook
open?

Old September 21st 08, 11:08 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
William Tell

I figured out the problem. Thanks for the help.
I had the "secure authentication" box checkmarked and it was keeping me from
downloading the group list. After unchecking it, Outlook was able to
connect.

.. .

Old September 22nd 08, 05:28 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

nospam wrote:
> "William Tell" > wrote in message .. .
>> "dwight" > wrote in message
>> Go to motzarella.org and get yourself set up with a free newsgroup
>>> account. You don't have to miss a thing, and it will work just as well as
>>> Comcast with your Outlook Express.

>> I tried to use Motzarella, but the only newsgroups that show up on the list
>> in my Outlook, are the 12 that are also listed at their site (motzarella and
>> posenet groups....info, grouprequests, new users, etc.)

> You have to setup an account/password, and login.

HAH! AIOE requires no such set up. :-p

--

"Don't argue what you don't understand" - Johnny Rebel

Old September 22nd 08, 12:26 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

"WindsorFox<[SS]>" > wrote in message
> nospam wrote:
>> "William Tell" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> "dwight" > wrote in message
>>> Go to motzarella.org and get yourself set up with a free newsgroup
>>> I tried to use Motzarella, but the only newsgroups that show up on the
>>> list
>>> in my Outlook, are the 12 that are also listed at their site (motzarella
>>> and
>>> posenet groups....info, grouprequests, new users, etc.)

>> You have to setup an account/password, and login.
>>

> HAH! AIOE requires no such set up. :-p

It's no big deal. It's a very simple Level One registration. Serves only to
keep out the automatons and ensure that the registrant is a human-type user.

dwight

Old September 25th 08, 04:28 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Starscream wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the link. What is the Outgoing Server SMTP setting for
>> this server? I didn't see it listed anywhere.

> Just use your ISP's SMTP server (same as for email)

Thanks!

A Wee Bit Of Usenet Humour: usenet-server-retention.jpg (1/1) Square Wheels[_10_] Auto Photos 0 April 17th 08 06:42 AM
Dropping MPG [email protected] Jeep 26 October 11th 06 12:15 PM
Oil pressure dropping gmc_man30 Technology 1 September 7th 06 10:35 PM
dropping it in da" weeds charlottes ave Ford Mustang 5 February 6th 05 11:51 PM
Gas prices aren't dropping P-u-h-e-k BMW 23 October 30th 04 03:32 PM