Wireless keys blanks

Old August 29th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

Default Wireless keys blanks

I have an 04 Mini Van with wireless locks and electric doors. I need to
replace one of the keys and am getting all sorts of confusing info and
prices.

Where can I find reasonable prices and reliable equipment. One vendor will
sell me OEM keys but I have to take to someone to have them programmed.
Others will sell me the keys for one price and the instructions for
programming for another.

Old August 30th 08, 10:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower[_2_]

"NotMe" > wrote in message
> I have an 04 Mini Van with wireless locks and electric doors. I need to
> replace one of the keys and am getting all sorts of confusing info and
> prices.
>
> Where can I find reasonable prices and reliable equipment. One vendor

will
> sell me OEM keys but I have to take to someone to have them programmed.
> Others will sell me the keys for one price and the instructions for
> programming for another.

If you are looking to get the job done fast take it to the dealer. They
will sell you the key and program it. The key must be programmed by the
dealers scan tool. Some locksmiths can also do this for you. The only way
you can program that key yourself would be if you already had I 2 keys
programmed and this would make the 3rd.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 30th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

maxpower wrote:

> > I have an 04 Mini Van with wireless locks and electric doors.
> > I need to replace one of the keys

> If you are looking to get the job done fast take it to the dealer.
> They will sell you the key and program it. The key must be
> programmed by the dealers scan tool. Some locksmiths can also
> do this for you. The only way you can program that key yourself
> would be if you already had I 2 keys programmed and this would
> make the 3rd.

I take it that you're describing the "Sentry Key" system:

http://www.ocls.com/sentry_key.htm

Is it the case the replacement key is in any way modified, programmed or
altered during the process, or is it that all keys come pre-programmed
with a unique code, and it's a matter of training the car's computer to
recognize and respond to the replacement key's code?

And if a key is stolen, you have to take the car to the dealer to
reprogram the computer so that it will no longer respond to the stolen
key - which is something you can't do at home or can't be done by a
locksmith?
Old August 30th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Hey Glenn, what are these items (Alarm Interface & Transponder Bypass)
used for?

http://www.bypasskit.com/categories.aspx?catid=14

Why would I put one in my car?
Old August 30th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pirate chaser

In article >,
"NotMe" > wrote:

> I have an 04 Mini Van with wireless locks and electric doors. I need to
> replace one of the keys and am getting all sorts of confusing info and
> prices.
>
> Where can I find reasonable prices and reliable equipment. One vendor will
> sell me OEM keys but I have to take to someone to have them programmed.
> Others will sell me the keys for one price and the instructions for
> programming for another.

Am I understanding it correctly in that you just want a new key,
because the key itself is damaged?

If so this is a poor man's fix I would try, if you have a god key...
Have just an ordinary key copy made of a good key and try using it with
the defective key held beside it. If this works then all you have to do
is attach the hand end (saw the key off) of the defective key to the new
key copy, or perhaps just hang it on the key ring.
Old August 30th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

"Pirate chaser" > wrote in message
| In article >,
| "NotMe" > wrote:
|
| > I have an 04 Mini Van with wireless locks and electric doors. I need to
| > replace one of the keys and am getting all sorts of confusing info and
| > prices.
| >
| > Where can I find reasonable prices and reliable equipment. One vendor
will
| > sell me OEM keys but I have to take to someone to have them programmed.
| > Others will sell me the keys for one price and the instructions for
| > programming for another.
|
| Am I understanding it correctly in that you just want a new key,
| because the key itself is damaged?
|
| If so this is a poor man's fix I would try, if you have a god key...
| Have just an ordinary key copy made of a good key and try using it with
| the defective key held beside it. If this works then all you have to do
| is attach the hand end (saw the key off) of the defective key to the new
| key copy, or perhaps just hang it on the key ring.

The problem is I need a new key, as in a replacement key and don't
appreciate being raped due to OEM/single source.

Old August 31st 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower[_2_]

"MoPar Man" > wrote in message
> Hey Glenn, what are these items (Alarm Interface & Transponder Bypass)
> used for?
>
> http://www.bypasskit.com/categories.aspx?catid=14
>
> Why would I put one in my car?

I believe it is a device that you can program that will allow you to open
doors, start the engine, open hatches.......etc without having a key to
do it with.Just punch in a number, I will view the website in the morning.

Glenn

Old August 31st 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bllsht

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:23:24 -0400, MoPar Man > wrote:

>maxpower wrote:
>
>> > I have an 04 Mini Van with wireless locks and electric doors.
>> > I need to replace one of the keys

>> If you are looking to get the job done fast take it to the dealer.
>> They will sell you the key and program it. The key must be
>> programmed by the dealers scan tool. Some locksmiths can also
>> do this for you. The only way you can program that key yourself
>> would be if you already had I 2 keys programmed and this would
>> make the 3rd.

>I take it that you're describing the "Sentry Key" system:
>
>http://www.ocls.com/sentry_key.htm
>
>Is it the case the replacement key is in any way modified, programmed or
>altered during the process, or is it that all keys come pre-programmed
>with a unique code, and it's a matter of training the car's computer to
>recognize and respond to the replacement key's code?

Both are the case. Also, once a key has been programmed to one
vehicle, it cannot be programmed to another.

>And if a key is stolen, you have to take the car to the dealer to
>reprogram the computer so that it will no longer respond to the stolen
>key - which is something you can't do at home or can't be done by a
>locksmith?

Anyone with a DRBIII and the vehicle's access code can do it.

Old August 31st 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

"bllsht" > wrote in message

| >> If you are looking to get the job done fast take it to the dealer.
| >> They will sell you the key and program it. The key must be
| >> programmed by the dealers scan tool. Some locksmiths can also
| >> do this for you. The only way you can program that key yourself
| >> would be if you already had I 2 keys programmed and this would
| >> make the 3rd.
| >
| >I take it that you're describing the "Sentry Key" system:
| >
| >http://www.ocls.com/sentry_key.htm
| >
| >Is it the case the replacement key is in any way modified, programmed or
| >altered during the process, or is it that all keys come pre-programmed
| >with a unique code, and it's a matter of training the car's computer to
| >recognize and respond to the replacement key's code?
|
| Both are the case. Also, once a key has been programmed to one
| vehicle, it cannot be programmed to another.
|

| >And if a key is stolen, you have to take the car to the dealer to
| >reprogram the computer so that it will no longer respond to the stolen
| >key - which is something you can't do at home or can't be done by a
| >locksmith?
|
| Anyone with a DRBIII and the vehicle's access code can do it.

Any 'how to' instructions to be had on the internet?

Old August 31st 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

bllsht wrote:

> > Is it the case the replacement key is in any way modified,
> > programmed or altered during the process,

> > or is it that all keys come pre-programmed with a unique code,
> > and it's a matter of training the car's computer to
> > recognize and respond to the replacement key's code?

> Both are the case.

Is so, then what component inside the key is modifiable?

Does the key contain some memory component containing data that can be
changed?

And without any internal battery or power source, how can the data be
altered?

> Also, once a key has been programmed to one
> vehicle, it cannot be programmed to another.

Why can't two vehicles (that are sufficiently similar) be programmed to
recognize the same key?

Does anyone here actually prefer remote keys versus the old-fashioned keys? Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] Driving 67 November 3rd 06 03:06 PM
More on Steel Key Blanks Tom Nakashima VW air cooled 3 May 10th 05 10:00 PM
Steel Key Blanks Cut Tom Nakashima VW air cooled 6 April 30th 05 04:18 AM
Honda key blanks.... ajpdla Honda 29 December 18th 04 07:53 PM
Vintage Auto Key Blanks The Guy Antique cars 0 October 20th 04 06:19 PM