World's best and worst drivers?

Old March 13th 05, 02:11 AM
John Winterbottom

Default World's best and worst drivers?

I've been lucky enough to have worked and travelled in many parts of the
world; Asia, Africa, Europe, North America and Australia, and in that time
I've had the opportunity to see many different driving styles, and to suffer
many different types of drivers. In my opinion the UK has the best drivers.
I think it's something that the Brits take a pride in - they're courteous
almost to a fault, but they really do seem to know what they are doing when
they get on the road. The way they drive on their freeways, (motorways over
there), could be a lesson to everyone else.

Here in Canada, (Toronto), driving standards are not good. On the freeway,
people try to leave the minimum possible distance between themselves and the
car in front. Flip on your indicator to change lanes and folks will actually
speed up to avoid letting you in. And if someone else has on their indicator
to change into your lane, you cannot let them in; you can wait all you want,
you can flash your lights all day, to no avail. They will drive along with
their indicator on, still waiting for you to pass them so they can change
lanes after you've gone.

The concept of "lane discipline" is unknown here; people choose a lane for
reasons quite apart from the speed at which they are travelling. On
entering a freeway, 50% of drivers treat the on-ramp as a yield zone rather
than a merge, with the result that they often enter the freeway at 20 km/h.

And Canadians are supposed to know about "winter driving", but you wouldn't
think so when you see all the drivers in the ditch the first time it snows.
(Interestingly, most seem to be driving SUV's).

So, Best - UK, Worst - Toronto. Anyone else?

Old March 13th 05, 07:39 AM
John David Galt

John Winterbottom wrote:
> Here in Canada, (Toronto), driving standards are not good. On the freeway,
> people try to leave the minimum possible distance between themselves and the
> car in front. Flip on your indicator to change lanes and folks will actually
> speed up to avoid letting you in.

This is how it should be done everywhere. Anyone who lets somebody in
is stealing from those behind himself.
Old March 13th 05, 01:24 PM
The Office Jet

The absolute worst I have ever encountered is in Ecuador. I believe it
has the highest accident rate per driver anywhere in the world.

Old March 13th 05, 10:43 PM
Dudhorse

"The Office Jet" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The absolute worst I have ever encountered is in Ecuador. I believe it
> has the highest accident rate per driver anywhere in the world.

.... insurance?? I don't need no stinkin' insurance!!