2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Old September 19th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_3_]

Default 2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Does the computer hold the engine back until you hit 500 miles?

Al

Old September 19th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

"Big Al" > wrote in message
> Does the computer hold the engine back until you hit 500 miles?
>
> Al

The motor is limited to 4000 rpm for the first 5 miles, or a certain
number of start cycles. (whichever comes first)

In my case, the 5 miles went by pretty quickly....
--
John C. ('08 GT500...gone but not forgotten)
'03 Cobra convt.

Old September 19th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gill

John C. wrote:
> "Big Al" > wrote in message
>> Does the computer hold the engine back until you hit 500 miles?
>>
>> Al

> The motor is limited to 4000 rpm for the first 5 miles, or a certain
> number of start cycles. (whichever comes first)
>
> In my case, the 5 miles went by pretty quickly....

Hey John, if memory serves, didn't you make a quick "flip" on that
GT500? If yes, did that 00 Cobra R I see in you sig come after? I just
don't recall anything about you adding that big boy.
Any info on it? How do you like it?

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old September 20th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_3_]

So, no "hold back" to 500 miles?

Al

Old September 20th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Đavīd

Big Al wrote...
> Does the computer hold the engine back until you hit 500 miles?

Yes. It's called a valet tune. It is temporary condition, lasting
for 50 "key cycle" start-ups or 5 CONTINUOUS miles, whichever comes
first. Does not require a re-flash at the dealer. You can drive it
100 miles, 1 mile at a time and it'll still be in reduced power mode.
And....let's say you drove it off the lot and went 20 miles....it's
not like something magically happens at that fifth mile. You'll have
to stop the car, take the key out, replace the key and start it AFTER
mile 5, and you're at 100% power.

Davīd
Greenville, NC

Old September 23rd 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

Gill > wrote in
:

> Hey John, if memory serves, didn't you make a quick "flip" on that
> GT500? If yes, did that 00 Cobra R I see in you sig come after? I just
> don't recall anything about you adding that big boy.
> Any info on it? How do you like it?

Yep, that was me. A guy made me an offer on the GT500 I couldn't refuse.

The 2000 Cobra just kinda "happened". I went to New Jersey to look at a
Camaro that was for sale. Turns out the Camaro wasn't as great as
expected, but there were some other cars that the gentleman was looking
to liquidate. The Cobra has 14k miles on it; body is in very good shape.
The front valance, headlights and taillights have been replaced
recently. It could definitely use some new wheels.

The first owner spent some money on upgrades. Receipts for a variety of
suspension and engine work (cams and head porting) tally to over $18k.
It runs _very_ strong, but there's no dyno chart in the paperwork.

Owner number two didn't do much at all, other than hack up the interior
for an outlandish stereo system! Blasphemy!

I purchased it from the third owner. He'd owned it for less than 6
months and was intending to restore the interior to stock and freshen
things up a bit. I guess that'll be my job, now.

The car really rides nice and stable at <cough>... highway speeds. It is
LOUD. Driving through tunnels, the sound was deafening,.. in a good way.
The exhaust sounds like straight pipes, I'll have to check into
that.

The low point of the ride home,. Saturday afternoon on Broadway, idling
through NYC in 90° heat. I've gotten soft in my old age,..the AC was
sorely missed.

--
John C.
'03 Cobra conv.
Old September 23rd 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_7_]

John C. wrote:
> Gill > wrote in
> :
>
>> Hey John, if memory serves, didn't you make a quick "flip" on that
>> GT500? If yes, did that 00 Cobra R I see in you sig come after? I just
>> don't recall anything about you adding that big boy.
>> Any info on it? How do you like it?
>>

> Yep, that was me. A guy made me an offer on the GT500 I couldn't refuse.
>
> The 2000 Cobra just kinda "happened". I went to New Jersey to look at a
> Camaro that was for sale. Turns out the Camaro wasn't as great as
> expected, but there were some other cars that the gentleman was looking
> to liquidate. The Cobra has 14k miles on it; body is in very good shape.
> The front valance, headlights and taillights have been replaced
> recently. It could definitely use some new wheels.
>
> The first owner spent some money on upgrades. Receipts for a variety of
> suspension and engine work (cams and head porting) tally to over $18k.
> It runs _very_ strong, but there's no dyno chart in the paperwork.

Hmm, this, and the body parts being replaced? Maybe ran at the track
somewhere?

> Owner number two didn't do much at all, other than hack up the interior
> for an outlandish stereo system! Blasphemy!

AGREED! Hang em!

> I purchased it from the third owner. He'd owned it for less than 6
> months and was intending to restore the interior to stock and freshen
> things up a bit. I guess that'll be my job, now.

Hope it's not too hacked up for ya, I'm sure a rear seat won't be a
problem though

> The car really rides nice and stable at <cough>... highway speeds. It is
> LOUD. Driving through tunnels, the sound was deafening,.. in a good way.
> The exhaust sounds like straight pipes, I'll have to check into
> that.
>
> The low point of the ride home,. Saturday afternoon on Broadway, idling
> through NYC in 90° heat. I've gotten soft in my old age,..the AC was
> sorely missed.

Can't say I'd enjoy that much either, it must get you some looks though huh?
Nice ride there, maybe post some links to pics for some of us.

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old October 4th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

GILL wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>> Gill > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Hey John, if memory serves, didn't you make a quick "flip" on that
>>> GT500? If yes, did that 00 Cobra R I see in you sig come after? I
>>> just don't recall anything about you adding that big boy.
>>> Any info on it? How do you like it?
>>>

>> Yep, that was me. A guy made me an offer on the GT500 I couldn't
>> refuse. The 2000 Cobra just kinda "happened". I went to New Jersey
>> to look
>> at a Camaro that was for sale. Turns out the Camaro wasn't as
>> great as expected, but there were some other cars that the
>> gentleman was looking to liquidate. The Cobra has 14k miles on it;
>> body is in very good shape. The front valance, headlights and
>> taillights have been replaced recently. It could definitely use
>> some new wheels. The first owner spent some money on upgrades.
>> Receipts for a
>> variety of suspension and engine work (cams and head porting)
>> tally to over $18k. It runs _very_ strong, but there's no dyno
>> chart in the paperwork.

> Hmm, this, and the body parts being replaced? Maybe ran at the track
> somewhere?
>>
>> Owner number two didn't do much at all, other than hack up the
>> interior for an outlandish stereo system! Blasphemy!

> AGREED! Hang em!
>>
>> I purchased it from the third owner. He'd owned it for less than 6
>> months and was intending to restore the interior to stock and
>> freshen things up a bit. I guess that'll be my job, now.

> Hope it's not too hacked up for ya, I'm sure a rear seat won't be a
> problem though
>>
>> The car really rides nice and stable at <cough>... highway speeds.
>> It is LOUD. Driving through tunnels, the sound was deafening,.. in
>> a good way. The exhaust sounds like straight pipes, I'll have
>> to check into that.
>>
>> The low point of the ride home,. Saturday afternoon on Broadway,
>> idling through NYC in 90° heat. I've gotten soft in my old
>> age,..the AC was sorely missed.

> Can't say I'd enjoy that much either, it must get you some looks
> though huh? Nice ride there, maybe post some links to pics for some
> of us.

Some GT500 pictures in these two albums:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/AF76DE03D8E3188

--
Frank ess