LED Taillights in an 84

Old August 29th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Art[_3_]

Default LED Taillights in an 84

I want to put LED taillights in an '84. When I hook them up as straight
lights and remove the bulb lights from the circuit the turn signal flasher
does not recognize them and the turn signal system reacts as a burned out
bulf would make it react IE: turn signal light stays on without flashing. I
think the bulb must be simulated by an inline resistor but I have not found
the proper combination. So here is my question:
What ohm resistor should I put in line to fool the flasher into thinking the
bulb is still there?

thanks for any help.
Art '84 red/red

Old August 29th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

You don't have enough current draw to make the flasher work, so you need
a load resistor.

http://superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

Old August 30th 07, 01:43 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Easier yet, read the link I provided, quote:

"6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors can be connected across the turn signal bulbs
to simulate the load of a regular filament bulb (2 Amp load)."

Old August 31st 07, 01:39 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Art[_3_]

Thanks all, it seems that I have found the same website Bob was referring
to, 6 ohm/50 watt resistor should do the trick to simulate an 1157 bulb.

Found them at the local electronic industrial supply house for $2.60 ea.

thanks again.

Art
'84 red/red
t...

Old August 31st 07, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

You're welcome, let us know how it looks!

Old September 2nd 07, 10:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Art[_3_]

Just finished putting them in, I took a Zip saw and cut a 4 1/2" circle out
of my old taillights, put the LED's in, hooked them up with the resistor and
then installed 'vette louvers over the taillights (painted everything except
the lenses black first). They look great! what a difference they make.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Art
'84 red/red

Old September 4th 07, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Art" > wrote in message
t...
> Just finished putting them in, I took a Zip saw and cut a 4 1/2" circle
> out
> of my old taillights, put the LED's in, hooked them up with the resistor
> and
> then installed 'vette louvers over the taillights (painted everything
> except
> the lenses black first). They look great! what a difference they make.
> Thanks for everyone's help.

Any way you could post a link to some pictures?

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

XJ LED Taillights caps Jeep 10 June 21st 07 11:48 PM
Why do rednecks do this to their taillights? 223rem[_2_] Driving 5 November 8th 06 04:04 PM
Aftermarket taillights [email protected] Chrysler 0 November 1st 05 09:20 PM
LED Taillights ? Intergate Jeep 23 February 16th 05 01:47 PM
Flasher ? for 2001 up/Led Taillights Intergate Jeep 7 February 15th 05 07:00 PM