Alfa Code & Red Master Key

Old May 30th 06, 06:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default Alfa Code & Red Master Key

I was browsing the parts CD earlier looking for a price for an
immobiliser antenna and noticed that there appears to be a master key
listed as available for just over £7 When added to the basket the
system asks for a serial number first. What the serial number is is
unclear but is it possible that those who have lost or never received
their master key could get a replacement master without replacing the
ECU etc. After all there is no reason why Alfa couldn't reprogram a new
master key with the same information they did the first one, assuming
they keep this information when they build the things.
Craig

Old May 30th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> wrote:

> I was browsing the parts CD earlier looking for a price for an
> immobiliser antenna and noticed that there appears to be a master key
> listed as available for just over £7 When added to the basket the
> system asks for a serial number first. What the serial number is is
> unclear but is it possible that those who have lost or never received
> their master key could get a replacement master without replacing the
> ECU etc. After all there is no reason why Alfa couldn't reprogram a new
> master key with the same information they did the first one, assuming
> they keep this information when they build the things.

I don't know what you're trying to buy, but the serial number isn't
given out by UK dealers at the request of insurance companies.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old May 30th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"SteveH" > schreef in bericht
. ..
> > wrote:
> I don't know what you're trying to buy, but the serial number isn't
> given out by UK dealers at the request of insurance companies.
> --

In Holland they give you the special slip with the serial number when they
supply the car.
The supplying dealers (!!) keep record as well and will only give you the
code when you show the the official ownership papers of the car.
The few pounds/euro's is merely for the uncoded key.
They usually charge you a fortune for coding that key unless you're a
friend........
It only take a few seconds using the offical FIAT/Alfa computer system.
--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)

Old June 2nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

I'm not trying to buy anything, just browsing looking to see what
components the system consists of because I have been looking at a GTV
for a family member that won't start when it gets hot.
The car starts and runs fine until it reaches the temperature where the
fan kicks in and then if you turn it off it won't start again till it's
cooled a bit, usually not more than a minute or so.
When it won't start the key code light doesn't blink on when turning
the key and then the management light blinks and stays illuminated
showing a fault. This shows as '200KeyCode' on the Snap On scanner.
I was looking to see if there was a relay or something in the engine
compartment that could be getting hot and failing but couldn't locate
anything despite the CD showing both an injection control unit and
relay. What I need to do is get a workshop manual for a better
description of the system and location of the components.
I've been relying on a 145/146 workshop manual which isn't ideal.

Old June 3rd 06, 10:33 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Aside from any possible key related problem, the symptoms sound like a
problem I had with my 156 - turned out to be a faulty crank angle sensor.

--
regards,
Malcolm Osborne

ps.com...

Old June 4th 06, 11:45 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

It turns out it also has this fault without running the car up to
temperature, just needs to be left parked in the sun for a while.
Craig