Milky Mazda windows?

Old September 27th 05, 03:15 AM
2forgetmenot

Default Milky Mazda windows?

thanks for the help of unclogging the black box. it worked and i saved
$30-60.00
my next problem, which i have been told was a result of the leak i had in
the car, but i solved that problem and still have this problem. it is
milky windows, i clean the windows everyday before driving and everyday
they have this milky film on them. what could be the problem?

Old September 27th 05, 05:43 AM
Red

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 02:15:24 GMT, "2forgetmenot" >
wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> my next problem, which i have been told was a result of the leak i had
> in the car, but i solved that problem and still have this problem. it
> is milky windows, i clean the windows everyday before driving and
> everyday they have this milky film on them. what could be the
> problem?

Smoke. I've owned two cars that you could not defrost at
-35°C because the glass was coated with smoke particles.
Don't buy a smokers car. Check the ashtray for evidence.

I have been told that the only fix is replacing the glass.

Old September 27th 05, 11:28 AM
BCRandy

As a Miata owner who still smokes, I have to disagree. My
windows aren't "milky", though a barely noticeable film does
collect after a week or so. I did have a more noticeable
film that collected on the inside of my Miata's windows when
new. The dealer said it came from vapor escaping from the
plastics, fabrics, and carpet of the interior. Either way,
cleaning them once a week keeps them clean. I use a foam
spray cleaner as Windex seems to leave streaks. You could
try cleaning the glass with alcohol first, or as a last
resort, lacquer thinner will clean most anything off glass
(including hard water residue left by rain). You have to be
VERY careful though, as lacquer thinner will mar the finish
of most plastics.

"Red" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 02:15:24 GMT, "2forgetmenot"

> wrote in

lkaboutautos.com:

Old September 27th 05, 03:01 PM
Brian

BCRandy wrote:
> I use a foam
> spray cleaner as Windex seems to leave streaks.

Use newspaper with the Windex; then, you won't have streaks.
Old September 27th 05, 03:42 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"BCRandy" > wrote:

> The dealer said it came from vapor escaping from the
> plastics, fabrics, and carpet of the interior.

Correct. The easiest way to clean down to the glass: Bon Ami bathroom
cleanser on a sponge. Hasn't Scratched Yet(tm).

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 28th 05, 02:09 PM
Christopher Muto

Is Bon Ami ok to use on the outside of the windshield? My windshield is
either pitted or has lots of fine dots of tree sap all over it. It dose not
come clean with normal cleaning. It shows glare in direct sunlight and is
pretty bad at night (really bad until I replaced the headlights with much
brighter/whiter conversion type of the same wattage). I have seen several
different glass restoration products for about $30 that say they should be
put on with a professional polisher (not high speed like a drill) or to
expect lots and lots of hand rubbing... I wonder if Bon Ami might do the
trick (and not ruin the paint like the other products threaten to do).
Thanks.
'95 Triple Black

Old September 28th 05, 03:11 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <hCw_e.12594$L15.395@trndny01>,
"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> Is Bon Ami ok to use on the outside of the windshield? My windshield is
> either pitted or has lots of fine dots of tree sap all over it.

Bon Ami will remove sap, but it won't polish out pits or scratches. its
abrasives (diatoms?) are softer than glass.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 28th 05, 03:20 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article <hCw_e.12594$L15.395@trndny01>,
> "Christopher Muto" > wrote:
>

>>Is Bon Ami ok to use on the outside of the windshield? My windshield is
>>either pitted or has lots of fine dots of tree sap all over it.

> Bon Ami will remove sap, but it won't polish out pits or scratches. its
> abrasives (diatoms?) are softer than glass.
>
> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

Has anyone tried the glass polishing kits with success? My '96M
windshield was geting pretty pitted at 75K miles, though I had plans to
replace it anyway since it had some chips that were becoming cracks.

It may be time for a new windshield. The 1991 that I bought obviously
either had the windshield replaced or polished, probably replaced since
it doesn't have any chips yet, and the difference was really noticeable.

Pat
Old September 28th 05, 05:24 PM
Chuck

Auto stores sell a glass polish kit that includes the polish and a foam
buffing adapter for an electric drill.
Make sure the polish is not dried out or has seperated, since it is not a
fast mover.

Old September 28th 05, 05:52 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

Chuck, do you have experience using one of these?

Chris
92BB&T

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> Auto stores sell a glass polish kit that includes the polish and a foam
> buffing adapter for an electric drill.
> Make sure the polish is not dried out or has seperated, since it is not a
> fast mover.
>
> "pws" > wrote in message
>> Lanny Chambers wrote:

>> > Bon Ami will remove sap, but it won't polish out pits or scratches. its
>> > abrasives (diatoms?) are softer than glass.
>> >
>> > ---
>> > Lanny Chambers
>> > '94C, St. Louis
>> > http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

>> Has anyone tried the glass polishing kits with success? My '96M
>> windshield was geting pretty pitted at 75K miles, though I had plans to
>> replace it anyway since it had some chips that were becoming cracks.
>>
>> It may be time for a new windshield. The 1991 that I bought obviously
>> either had the windshield replaced or polished, probably replaced since
>> it doesn't have any chips yet, and the difference was really noticeable.
>>
>> Pat

Plan to purchase MAZDA 3 S. Any comments?, advice?. warnings? [email protected] Mazda 1 March 15th 05 01:13 AM
MAZDA 6 with 2.3 inline 4 Ez Mazda 0 February 24th 05 09:00 PM
Mazda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Mazda 0 February 12th 05 01:59 PM
EA NASCAR Demo Is Released David G Fisher Simulators 41 January 23rd 05 06:31 PM
OEM Mazda parts microfiche sets for sale Bigjfig Mazda 0 August 29th 04 11:21 PM