mx5 temperature sender

Old September 4th 05, 04:40 PM
nxander

Default mx5 temperature sender

I had one of my cooling hoses break and lost all my coolant, was on the
freeway and drove to get off and stop. We replaced the hose, added the
coolant and it seems to be doing okay. It is not heating up, however the
gauge is all the way up to hot. We can't seem to find where the
temperature sender is located to see if that is the problem. Can anyone
help.

Old September 4th 05, 05:13 PM
Randy Maheux

FWIW, did you get all the air out when you refilled the
coolant? I'm not sure, but could some air trapped in the
block cause the problem???

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 4th 05, 11:21 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"nxander" > wrote:

>I had one of my cooling hoses break and lost all my coolant, was on the
>freeway and drove to get off and stop. We replaced the hose, added the
>coolant and it seems to be doing okay. It is not heating up, however the
>gauge is all the way up to hot. We can't seem to find where the
>temperature sender is located to see if that is the problem. Can anyone
>help.

At the back of the engine, on top of the outlet to the heater hose.

If the coolant bypasses the engine due to obstruction by air or other,
major engine damage can occur.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 5th 05, 12:55 PM
Stephen Toth

In article
outautos.com>,
nxander > wrote:

> I had one of my cooling hoses break and lost all my coolant, was on the
> freeway and drove to get off and stop. We replaced the hose, added the
> coolant and it seems to be doing okay. It is not heating up, however the
> gauge is all the way up to hot. We can't seem to find where the
> temperature sender is located to see if that is the problem. Can anyone
> help.

The Water Thermosensor is on the back of the block beneath the coil
packs. The coil packs have to be removed to get to the Thermosensor.

As others said you probably have an air lock in the cooling system.
What they failed to mention was to make sure you set the cockpit temp
control to the maximum heat to make sure that you allow coolant to
circulate in the whole system.

If you run with the cockpit temp to full for a few miniutes, I think
your prolem will be resolved. Top up the coolant again after.