Timeing Belt?

Old September 2nd 05, 04:09 PM
SSMusic

Default Timeing Belt?

Can somebody inform me about recommended
Timing Belt replacement Mileage for 1997 Miata 1.6L
Old September 2nd 05, 05:28 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

In the U.S., a '97 Miata is a 1.8L so, not sure your question is right or not but on the 1.6L U.S. cars, it's recomended at 60k but it is a non-interference engine. I think it's the same for the 1.8L here, someone will correct me if that is incorrect.

Chris
92BB&T

Old September 4th 05, 06:49 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> In the U.S., a '97 Miata is a 1.8L so, not sure your question is right
> or not but on the 1.6L U.S. cars, it's recomended at 60k but it is a
> non-interference engine. I think it's the same for the 1.8L here,
> someone will correct me if that is incorrect.

It is the same.
Old September 4th 05, 08:01 PM
N93332

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>
>> In the U.S., a '97 Miata is a 1.8L so, not sure your question is right or
>> not but on the 1.6L U.S. cars, it's recomended at 60k but it is a
>> non-interference engine. I think it's the same for the 1.8L here, someone
>> will correct me if that is incorrect.

> It is the same.

If I remember what the book says, it's every 60k miles unless the car is in
California, then it's every 100k. I had mine replaced at 60k the first time.
Since my '94 Miata didn't know it wasn't in California, it went 100k on the
second.

Old September 4th 05, 09:32 PM
Oh No

I have 125K miles on a 1995 626 with the original timing belt. I
pulled the valve cover to inspect the belt and it looked new to
me. In another group, someone said that he changed it for the
first time at 175K miles and the belt looked new and thought it
was a waste of time to change it.

Old September 4th 05, 11:13 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Oh No" > wrote:

>I have 125K miles on a 1995 626 with the original timing belt. I
>pulled the valve cover to inspect the belt and it looked new to
>me. In another group, someone said that he changed it for the
>first time at 175K miles and the belt looked new and thought it
>was a waste of time to change it.

There have been reports here of them breaking somewhat over 100 kmi.
Of course, a belt breaking unexpectedly is a potential safety risk,
as well as an almost certain major inconvenience.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 6th 05, 03:04 PM
Mal Osborne

If you drop a trace of cocaine in the ashtray, and a copy of "Advanced
sacred dolphin channeling" in the glovebox, could you fool the car into
thinking it was in California?

Old September 6th 05, 04:18 PM
N93332

"Mal Osborne" > wrote in message
> If you drop a trace of cocaine in the ashtray, and a copy of "Advanced
> sacred dolphin channeling" in the glovebox, could you fool the car into
> thinking it was in California?

That's what I did so it would get 100k miles on the timing belt!

;-)

Old September 6th 05, 04:29 PM
josh

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> There have been reports here of them breaking somewhat over 100 kmi.
> Of course, a belt breaking unexpectedly is a potential safety risk,
> as well as an almost certain major inconvenience.

Potential safety risk... ? well I guess the car dies and you have to park
on the shoulder.

Well I have about 62K on my Miata, maybe I should think about changing the
timing belt... and cams ... and cam pulleys ...
Old September 6th 05, 05:53 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <1126020963.597150@sj-nntpcache-3>, josh >
wrote:

> Potential safety risk... ? well I guess the car dies and you have to park
> on the shoulder.

What if you're in the middle lane of an 8-lane freeway at the time? What
if it's 3 a.m. and you're in the worst part of town with a
suspicious-looking car on your tail? What if you're drifting past the
apex of a 35 mph onramp at 70 (trailing-throttle oversteer)?

Lots of situations can go from "inconvenient" to "life threatening" in
short order.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

HELP! Tell me if my 1989 e34 525i motor has just died. Wont't start. Timing belt? Fuel system? Starter? AArrgh!! URGENT Mark Amero BMW 6 July 29th 05 04:06 PM
cautionary timing belt tale jim beam Honda 1 March 15th 05 02:57 AM
Timeing belt [email protected] Honda 8 January 20th 05 12:20 AM
Timeing belt cost/life span damnnickname Chrysler 13 November 25th 04 04:24 PM
Universal Belt Tightening Specification Ted Mittelstaedt Chrysler 1 October 11th 04 07:58 AM