Rough Ride In My 2001 Civic LX Coupe!

Old January 23rd 05, 10:16 AM

Default Rough Ride In My 2001 Civic LX Coupe!

I've had my Civic for 2 weeks so far. Not too many complaints. The
original owner was quite rough with it, dents and dings everywhere both
inside and out. I have been reading other people's reviews and opinions
of the 2001 Honda Civic LX Coupe. Apparently I am not the only person
who finds the ride to be on the rough side. Actually, the ride is quite
smooth under ordinary conditions (at least for my car). My problem is
when the car goes over big potholes, or large dents in the roadway. It
makes a terrific noise and the vibrations go all over the car. I do not
like it at all. The harsh vibrations get sent throughout my body and I
can feel it.

My previous car was a 1991 Toyota Corolla. I tested it, going over the
exact same potholes and the car went over the holes much more smoothly,
no problem at all. It seems the structure or suspension of my old
Corolla seems to be sturdier, smoother, and perhaps stronger than the
Civic. In fact, the Corolla handled the big potholes in the road with
much more aplomb than my new Civic. I will add, it's not just potholes,
but speedbumps. The car's suspension seems to be built rudimentarily,
like it was constructed by hand in someone's back yard. Yes, I am aware
the "double wishbone suspension" is gone for this model year (for the
front). I don't need to hear about that, I am very knowledgeable about
it and I don't think it has much bearing. My old Corolla has Mcpherson
strut suspension for front and back in case you didn't know.

Some people have said that they found leaks in their suspension after
as few as 20,000 miles. I have not had a mechanic look at my car as it
was a "certified Used Vehicle" at the Serramonte Ford dealership but I
am thinking of taking it to a mechanic.

Question: If I get Koni shocks/struts as found on this page:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...perf&x=101&y=5
would this help to address the extremely harsh ride when going over
large bumps?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/tips!!!!

Steven