Hardtop installation

Old September 28th 04, 01:14 AM
737 FLF

Default Hardtop installation

I realise that this probably sounds like a dumb question but does the
hardtop fit with or without the soft top in place?

TIA
Al.

Old September 28th 04, 01:19 AM
Expmiata

>>I realise that this probably sounds like a dumb question but does the
hardtop fit with or without the soft top in place?

TIA
Al. <<

Not a dumb question. Answer: Fits with soft top in down position :-)
~Cissy
Old September 30th 04, 03:48 PM
jchase

Expmiata wrote:
>>>I realise that this probably sounds like a dumb question but does the

> hardtop fit with or without the soft top in place?
>
> TIA
> Al. <<
>
> Not a dumb question. Answer: Fits with soft top in down position :-)
> ~Cissy

Softtop just stays in its "well" all winter. A few bits of advice:
-I've heard of people putting the top on by themselves but its a lot
easier with two people.
-Be careful of the side latches (behind the shoulder belts)- its very
easy to knock them part way closed and then the whole process hangs up.
-Watch the defrost pigtail- it has an terrible desire to get caught
under the weatherstripping.
-My top (factory) need a bit of fiddling to get it properly set down on
the "Frankenstein bolts" on the rear deck- when its right, the
windshield header should fit perfectly.
-The two rubber lumps inside the lower edge of the hardtop window rest
on the softtop latches, reducing rattle

When the hardtop is on, the radio is easier to hear and the wide rear
window is great. Its fast enough to put on & off to allow top-down
motoring if the weather unexpectedly warms for a few days.

There are hardtop racks and slings available commercially. I made a
hanger for it on my garage wall- mounted two bolts on a board that
easily catch the rear mounts, and a padded bracket below that just
supports the front edge. It hasn't falled down in five summers.

Joe
Silver '99

Old October 1st 04, 01:15 AM
Leon van Dommelen

jchase > wrote:

> -I've heard of people putting the top on by themselves but its a lot
>easier with two people.

I have no doubt.

> -Be careful of the side latches (behind the shoulder belts)- its very
>easy to knock them part way closed and then the whole process hangs up.

You really need *three* people, one a side-latch expert.

> -Watch the defrost pigtail- it has an terrible desire to get caught
>under the weatherstripping.

And a fourth, preferably an electrician.

> -My top (factory) need a bit of fiddling to get it properly set down on
>the "Frankenstein bolts" on the rear deck- when its right, the
>windshield header should fit perfectly.

Also a fiddler, apparently.

> -The two rubber lumps inside the lower edge of the hardtop window rest
>on the softtop latches, reducing rattle

We sure want this fiddler's music to be appreciated by the gathered
crowd!

The lengths that people go to *not* to drive a convertible.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old November 14th 04, 11:06 PM
Dubya

Ok, that was very funny. Well, the part about the electrician not so
much--I have to put mine on alone (three years straight, no mishaps yet)
and yeah, one must be especially careful to not pinch the lead for the
defogging grid. Now it's time for MY dumbass Q: Should I install the
boot before putting on the hard top? I tried once, and the top would not
seat. Still, with all the doom and gloom and dire warnings I hear about
not using the boot I wonder...

Anyone with a definitive answer? Anyone with an M2 successfully install
both simultaneously?

Cheers

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in
:

Old November 14th 04, 11:24 PM
Expmiata

>Ok, that was very funny. Well, the part about the electrician not so
>much--I have to put mine on alone (three years straight, no mishaps yet)
>and yeah, one must be especially careful to not pinch the lead for the
>defogging grid. Now it's time for MY dumbass Q: Should I install the
>boot before putting on the hard top? I tried once, and the top would not
>seat. Still, with all the doom and gloom and dire warnings I hear about
>not using the boot I wonder...
>

>Anyone with a definitive answer? Anyone with an M2 successfully install
>both simultaneously?

I have an M1 so in one of the many catalogs I get, I bought a boot cover that
is made to cover the top when the hardtop is in place. Everything fits great.
Besides, I got this "special" boot cover free as I asked for it one Xmas about
3 or 4 Xmas's ago
~Cissy :-)