Vacuum brake bleeding

Old January 6th 05, 05:42 AM
Peter

Default Vacuum brake bleeding

I was trying to bleed my 95 Cherokee brakes, but the fluid hardly
comes out.

I thought of vacuum bleeding, but I wonder how much vacuum do I need.
I don't have a pump, but can I use my household vacuum cleaner as
suction source?

I can take a big jam jar, drill 2 holes on the lid to put in the
tubes, I already have an adaptor to fit the vacuum hose to the tube.

Would there be enough suction to bleed the brakes? Any better ideas
apart from spending a whooping $90 on a bleed kit?

Pete
Old January 6th 05, 06:08 AM
Nate Nagel

Peter wrote:

> I was trying to bleed my 95 Cherokee brakes, but the fluid hardly
> comes out.
>
> I thought of vacuum bleeding, but I wonder how much vacuum do I need.
> I don't have a pump, but can I use my household vacuum cleaner as
> suction source?
>
> I can take a big jam jar, drill 2 holes on the lid to put in the
> tubes, I already have an adaptor to fit the vacuum hose to the tube.
>
> Would there be enough suction to bleed the brakes? Any better ideas
> apart from spending a whooping $90 on a bleed kit?
>

> Pete

Use a pressure bleeder instead, I have found them to be much more
reliable. You can probably rig one up with a bigass jar, a Schrader
valve (for a wheel) a spare master cylinder cover and some tubing if you
don't want to pay for a ready made one. I have a cheap Motive PRoducts
one and use the crap out of it.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 6th 05, 09:27 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Peter" > wrote in message
om...
> I was trying to bleed my 95 Cherokee brakes, but the fluid hardly
> comes out.
>
> I thought of vacuum bleeding, but I wonder how much vacuum do I need.
> I don't have a pump, but can I use my household vacuum cleaner as
> suction source?

They don't work - I have an A/C vacuum and I've tried different vacuum
levels with various Rube Goldberg contraptions on the bleed screws.

Other than a pressure bleeder, the next best thing is an assistant sitting
in the car pressing the brake petal while you have the bleed screw open.
I usually use my wife for this when I do our vehicles and the procedure
works well except for a rather annoying whining noise. (from the
wife, not the car ;-)

Ted

Old January 6th 05, 12:15 PM
pater

Make sure the master is bled first before you try to bleed at the
wheels, kinda sounds like this is your problem. If the master is bled
you should have plenty of pressure at the bleeders when the pedal is
pushed. If you are gravity bleeding & have no pressure, thats a
different story. The cheapest pressure bleeder is a 1/16" drill bit & a
blow nozzle for your air hose, vacuum systems as I have seen them used
(pardon the pun) suck. Put the drill bit thru the MC lid & thru the
inside rubber seal at a didderent spot, apply air pressure at a very
slow rate (just enough to slightly bulge the resivoiur) with the
bleeders of choice open & wait for a puddle. Once started they will
usually gravity bleed from there. The new "bleeder hole" in the lid is
too small to matter, for all practical purposes, & can be left there
with no adverse affects. Good luck.

Old January 6th 05, 02:17 PM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Nate Nagel > wrote:

> I've found that on older cars using the pedal-pump method is a good way
> to end up replacing the MC. Unless it's been meticulously maintained
> the inside of the MC will be rusty outside the normal travel area of the
> piston, and wiping the seals over rust will trash them.
>
> nate

Put a scrap of 2X4 on the floor under the brake pedal, it will
act as a stop preventing the MC seals from running into the junk
area.
Old January 6th 05, 04:17 PM
Mike Romain

You have got to be kidding right?

Brake fluid absorbs water and becomes useless really quick and you are
telling someone it is cool to have an open hole in the reservoir?

That is a good way to get someone killed!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 6th 05, 04:38 PM

"You can probably rig one up with a bigass jar, a Schrader
valve (for a wheel) a spare master cylinder cover and some tubing if
you
don't want to pay for a ready made one"

Does not work for my car, and most likely not for any newer car that
has a cheap plastic brake fluid reservior. Probably work work great on
the 1975 Chevy I once had. When I tried to do that it does not work
because the cap isn't air tight, therefore no pressure. I use a
mightyvac to remove the old fluid from the reservior and then refill
and get another person to pump the brakes. It doesn't take long to do
it that way because you have already gotten out half the fluid before
you start pumping the brakes.

Low Manifold Vacuum Rich Hampel Jeep 12 January 19th 05 03:16 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 10 January 2nd 05 03:21 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? HerHusband VW water cooled 0 January 1st 05 02:08 AM
Engine Vacuum, Wipers, and Brake Booster Joe Hudon Antique cars 1 June 16th 04 07:18 PM