Timeing Belt?

Old September 7th 05, 08:14 PM
josh

> You don't need to change springs to get major improvements. In fact,
> lowering springs are 95% cosmetic, and in the real world their drawbacks
> outweigh any handling gains, unless they're very stiff (stiff enough to
> remove the swaybars altogether).

Very stiff is what I would be after.

My last car (best handling car I have ever driven) was a '89 VW Jetta GLI.
It had H&R Race springs (lowered about 1.7" but who's counting?), Bilstein
sport shocks, stock swaybars and cheap Pirelli tires. Handled like a
go-cart. Killer, really. I miss that car a lot. Don't get me wrong, I
dearly love my Miata, but the Miata doesn't match the seat-of-the-pants fun
factor of the veedub with the ultra-hard springs & shocks.

> I agree, big sways are not appropriate for street use. But I think my
> 7/8" front, 5/8" rear FM bars are just right. They feel a lot better
> with my Konis than they did with worn out OEM shocks

Konis... which Koni?

Are these the hot shocks for Miata?

I could probably go for some better shocks... think it would help a lot.
But I would also not mind very stiff springs. Wouldn't bother me a bit.
Old September 7th 05, 11:51 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article <1126120848.444829@sj-nntpcache-3>, josh >
wrote:

> Konis... which Koni?

Koni Sports (the yellow ones).

> Are these the hot shocks for Miata?

Define "best." They're more than adequate for aggressive street use, are
a good match for stock springs, last a long time, and ride quite well at
the softer end of their wide adjustment range. They can be rebuilt, and
the valving can be custom tailored to your specs (at a price). But there
are much better shocks for racing use, including some from Koni, that
cost up to 10X as much. At ~$110 each, yellow Konis are an excellent
value, and a good choice for most street-driven Miatas.

> I could probably go for some better shocks... think it would help a lot.

No doubt. Stock shocks are usually completely worn out by 40k miles,
often much sooner. A "bounce" test will tell you nothing. If you're
bottoming in the rear, your shocks are dead.

> But I would also not mind very stiff springs. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

You'd better ride in a Miata with very stiff springs first. On anything
but a glass-smooth track, some will shake the fillings out of your teeth.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 12th 05, 02:21 PM
SSMusic

"N93332" > wrote in message
> If I remember what the book says, it's every 60k miles unless the car is
> in California, then it's every 100k. I had mine replaced at 60k the first
> time. Since my '94 Miata didn't know it wasn't in California, it went 100k
> on the second.

So????
If I will move to California, I would have to inform my
Miata that she is not in Texas anymore?
How do I do that?

Old September 12th 05, 03:40 PM
N93332

"SSMusic" <sergestodolnik@NO SPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> So????
> If I will move to California, I would have to inform my
> Miata that she is not in Texas anymore?
> How do I do that?

Take that gunrack out of the back window and remove those ugly longhorns
from the front. You also have to quit playing Country music in your Miata
and it will then get 100k miles on the timing belt instead of 60k.

HELP! Tell me if my 1989 e34 525i motor has just died. Wont't start. Timing belt? Fuel system? Starter? AArrgh!! URGENT Mark Amero BMW 6 July 29th 05 04:06 PM
cautionary timing belt tale jim beam Honda 1 March 15th 05 03:57 AM
Timeing belt [email protected] Honda 8 January 20th 05 01:20 AM
Timeing belt cost/life span damnnickname Chrysler 13 November 25th 04 05:24 PM
Universal Belt Tightening Specification Ted Mittelstaedt Chrysler 1 October 11th 04 07:58 AM