Follow-up to my "dirty injectors"

Old September 6th 05, 03:09 PM
Mal Osborne

Hmm, dunno.

I have seen ingition wires literally *drenched* in oil, (on a Falcon, not a
Miata, but lets not get into the deficienceis of Australian built Fords) it
causes no problems unless the plastic covering is somehow softened & bent. I
am guessing these wries are broken internally, a DMM should be show an open
circuit on at leat noe lead.

news

http://www.dommelen.net/miata

Old September 6th 05, 06:05 PM
josh

The old "oil on the plug wire boots" gag. That'll get you every time.

Here's what (typically) happens (in cars I have had other than my
mechanically-trouble-free Miata):

- VC gasket, or plug hole, whatever, leaks some oil somehow onto the plug
wire boot.

- plug wire boot gets very hot and the oil flows into a "coating", and
begins to char, causing a conductive carbon path from the inside of the boot
where there is a high voltage, to the outside of the boot, which is near to
many things at ground potential.

- misfiring ensues, as the least-resistant path for the high voltage present
at the conductor in the middle of the boot is through the carbon path
created by the oil leak, and not through the gap in the spark plug.

this problem is REAL common on 16V Volkswagen H2O engines, which is why I
have heard of it.

So my guess is your Rspeed wires, well at least one of them, are hosed. Oil
leaking on plug wire boots usually precedes their early death.

Although I wouldn't give much credit to your $78 experienced automotive
technician spraying water ... they totally didn't diagnose this problem.
They would have put a new set of plugs & wires in there, and the car would
have run great until the oil leaked enough on your #4 wire to kill it again
and you'd be back where you started, only a few hundred bux lighter in the
wallet.

Emulate injectors - how? Peter Chrysler 21 June 6th 05 07:33 PM
clean injectors? Dave Lee Jeep 10 February 12th 05 04:06 AM
24# Injectors c4_4ya Corvette 2 January 27th 05 04:07 PM
Replace all injectors Empty3 Corvette 20 November 10th 04 01:28 AM