new struts for corolla?

Old February 1st 05, 05:39 PM
Usual Suspect

Default new struts for corolla?

What do I need to know before getting new struts for my corolla?

Do I need both rear struts if only one seems to be bad (cupping)?

Do I need 4-wheel alignment to be done afterwards?

Would you trust Goodyear to do this kind of job if you were me?
Old February 1st 05, 05:45 PM
Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect wrote:

> What do I need to know before getting new struts for my corolla?
>
> Do I need both rear struts if only one seems to be bad (cupping)?
>
> Do I need 4-wheel alignment to be done afterwards?
>
> Would you trust Goodyear to do this kind of job if you were me?

Also, is it better to consult some manuals (I'm clueless) and order new
struts online and then take them to a mechanic to install rather than
letting the shop do everything?
Old February 1st 05, 06:46 PM
Bob Paulin

Usual Suspect > wrote in article
> Usual Suspect wrote:
>
> > What do I need to know before getting new struts for my corolla?
> >
> > Do I need both rear struts if only one seems to be bad (cupping)?
> >
> > Do I need 4-wheel alignment to be done afterwards?
> >
> > Would you trust Goodyear to do this kind of job if you were me?

> Also, is it better to consult some manuals (I'm clueless) and order new
> struts online and then take them to a mechanic to install rather than
> letting the shop do everything?

AND....while you're at it, swing by the grocery store and pick up a dozen
eggs and a pound of bacon, and then take them to a restaurant for them to
cook your breakfast Sunday morning......

Old February 1st 05, 06:55 PM
Usual Suspect

Bob Paulin wrote:

> Usual Suspect > wrote in article
>> Usual Suspect wrote:
>>
>> > What do I need to know before getting new struts for my corolla?
>> >
>> > Do I need both rear struts if only one seems to be bad (cupping)?
>> >
>> > Do I need 4-wheel alignment to be done afterwards?
>> >
>> > Would you trust Goodyear to do this kind of job if you were me?

>> Also, is it better to consult some manuals (I'm clueless) and order new
>> struts online and then take them to a mechanic to install rather than
>> letting the shop do everything?
>>

> AND....while you're at it, swing by the grocery store and pick up a dozen
> eggs and a pound of bacon, and then take them to a restaurant for them to
> cook your breakfast Sunday morning......

Care to explain your elaborated metaphor?
Old February 1st 05, 10:10 PM
N8N

Usual Suspect wrote:
> Bob Paulin wrote:
>

> > Usual Suspect > wrote in article

(cupping)?

> >> Also, is it better to consult some manuals (I'm clueless) and

order new
> >> struts online and then take them to a mechanic to install rather

than
> >> letting the shop do everything?
> >>

> > AND....while you're at it, swing by the grocery store and pick up a

dozen
> > eggs and a pound of bacon, and then take them to a restaurant for

them to
> > cook your breakfast Sunday morning......

> Care to explain your elaborated metaphor?

I wouldn't try that unless you already have a good working relationship
with a shop AND you have a compelling reason for doing so, like you can
get the parts for half their cost or something. Now I have done this
in the past but only under those circumstances and I try not to make a
habit of it. Otherwise their response is going to be likely something
like "here's a rope, you know what to do."

nate

Old February 2nd 05, 05:07 AM
Steve B.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:39:53 -0800, Usual Suspect
> wrote:

>What do I need to know before getting new struts for my corolla?
>
>Do I need both rear struts if only one seems to be bad (cupping)?
>
>Do I need 4-wheel alignment to be done afterwards?
>
>Would you trust Goodyear to do this kind of job if you were me?

You should replace both even if only one is bad. They both have the
same amount of wear so the other one is likely to fail in short order.

I have done struts myself twice and learned enough to know this is one
of those jobs that its just easier to have a pro do. The car does
need to be aligned once you get done.

Many goodyear stores are franchise locations and subject to the
variations of any franchise. We have one store right next to the
house that stinks and another one a couple of miles away that has
treated me like gold every time I have been there. Stop by and ask
them about the job... You should be able to get a pretty good feel of
the techs confidence and skill set.

Steve B.