Transmiss Shop: Ethical? What To Do? JGC

Old March 29th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Transmiss Shop: Ethical? What To Do? JGC

Went to pick up my '96 JGC Loredeo from the shop tonight and got 3
surprises. After learning my transmission was shot beyond reuild (so
they said), I asked the shop how much would a used one cost, and how
much for one of their remanufactured units. The manager said he would
have to call around for a used one and get back to me. Well on-line I
shopped two and learned there were used units, rebuilt units, and
remanufactured units.

The manager quoted me $850 for a used unit, and when I asked, said,
"yes they remanfuacture transmissions"....he quoted me $1,200 for a
remanufactured transmission. I then said, "you remanufacture them
yourself there right?", He said, "Yes" and so I said, and that would
then come with a "warranty", and he said, "yes". I on the phone
"greenlighted" and told him to go with one of his reman units. (The
labor quoted was $375 + whatever for oil, etc.).

I get to the shop tonight and my bill is about $250 higher than I was
told it would be. Why The "converter" needed replacing, some ring next
to the engine and some other incidental parts that he had itemized. I
said, "no one ever called me to inform me of this and at least check
and make sure it was Okay with me", He apoligized for that. I then see
on the work order receipt I am supposed to sign it says 3 months or
4,000 miles for a warranty and the line item reads "Transmission
Rebuild".

I said, "Why does it not say Remanufactured Transmission"? The shop
manager then explains to me how there was no real difference, the word
rebuild is the same, etc. I told him "No, language matters and that's
why I specifically and only asked you about a remanufacturered
transmission, not a used or rebuilt transmission". He then
relunctantly concedes if he places the word "Remanufactured" on there
with transmission, by State law he has to provide a 12 month/1 year
warranty. I said, "yes, I know that, that's why I chose that option
and not a used transmission and that precise language in speaking with
you at every point". He then says, "tell you what, I'll offer you a 6
month/8,000 mi warranty". I said that's not the point.

I paid the $2,000 bill in full but would not sign the paper work or
accept my Jeep as the paper work is not consistent or congruent with
what he represented and I agreed to. I told him I have to think about
this matter for a few days and I will get back to them.

Any ideas on what I should do? I am really ****ed I don't have a
remanufactured transmission in my jeep and who knows, the shop might
have simply installed a used one. The warranty issues is also
important to me. Why? I was planning on selling this Jeep once out of
the shop, With only 125K miles and a reman transmission w/warranty and
in great shape...I figured it would be a safe used buy for someone.

Any hints, tips or clues on how I should resolve this? I paid the bill
because I am a straight shooter and would have paid the bill even with
the additional needed parts assuming I was getting what was
represented. I did not sign the paper work or accept the car because
it's not what we agreed to.

By the way, what is the difference between a remanufactured and a
rebuild? I chose reman due to it being covered by state laws
w/warranty but am not sure on the difference between the two.

Old March 29th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

First off you shouldn't have paid the bill, now he has your money *and* your
Jeep. Insist on a full 12month warranty, in writing, or you will report him
to your state's auto repair certification board/atty general.

Old March 29th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Realize that "rebuilt" and "remanufactured" are not precisely defined terms,
and in many cases they are considered synonyms. The relevant difference
appears to be what is contained in your state law. I suggest that you get a
copy of that law, to see what you are entitled to. If they agreed to supply
you with a "remanufactured" unit for $1,200, then that is what they owe you.
Legally, you could probably make them put a "remanufactured" unit in your
Jeep, but that might be more trouble than it is worth.

The shop should have called you about the torque converter and flex plate.

It sounds as if the shop manager might have simply confused the terms
"rebuilt" and "remanufactured", but if the two terms have legal
ramifications in your state, that is a mistake he had no business making.
Maybe you can get a refund of the difference?

Earle

oups.com...

Old March 29th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Alternatively - have him restore the Jeep to it's previous condition, and
give your money back?

J.

om...

Old March 29th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Jeep along with all other manufacturers define the following:

Rebuilt means worn parts and seals are replaced old parts still with in
tolarances are left in, fluids are refilled.

Remanufactured or Programmed means all parts are repaced to original OEM
specifications with any upgrades between model years.

There is a big differance if he had gone to the Dealer it would of cost him
about the same $$ and there would be no issues along with getting a
programmed transmission (remanufactured).

Coasty

Old March 29th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Classic lack of a 'meeting of the minds', which is the cornerstone of
any contractural agreement.

Best case scenereo: you agree on the terms, then put it in writing
(estimate) and both parties sign and get a copy. All problems can then
later be resolved based on that written agreement. Simple in theory,
but in the real world, few go through the motions.

The differences between a reman and a rebuild are slight; 'used' is a
completely different animal --all water under the bridge now.

Since you've already paid the man, the only thing left to work out is
the warranty length. 6-months is not a bad compromise - take it and
run. Compromises are all you have left at this point, and technically,
he does not have to offer you anything beyond 90 days, so be gracious
and thank the man. And get it in writing!!!

I also would not tell prospective buyers about the transmission swap.
It will not increase resale value, nor inspire confidence.

Them's my two-cents.

-JD

Old March 29th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

>Since you've already paid the man, the only thing left to work out is
the warranty length.
_

Spoke to the shop manager today and told him I was uncomfortable with
signing the work order/invoice form with pick up of the car as it was
not consistent with our agreement in 3 areas, and also let him know
those 3 areas amounted to a violation of NY State law.

He conceded on 2 of these areas they dropped the ball (not informing me
of additional parts, etc.) and revising the warranty after the fact
(they want me to come in at the mid-way point of the warranty for a $95
transmission servicing to keep the warranty valid). I did not mention
this nugget in my OP however what they laced into the invoice/work
order to sign off. It's not an issue of it being good/wise after
receiving a transmission job, it's an issue of another term,
undisclosed on the front end, and dropped on me at the back end.

I said, "why did you not tell me the warranty required this condition"?
He minimized its importance as having to be mentioned on the front
end. I told him ethically he should say the warranty requires a $95
check-up servicing midway. If you're going to verbally present it as a
carrot....he should disclose this pivotal condition, no? He agreed to
eat the $95 mid-way check up. I said, "that's not the point", "the
point is being ethically straight and clear up front before the fact"
and not allowing for any misunderstanding or misinterpretation, etc.

Which all lead to the major point of concern, a reman transmission
versues a rebuild. He parsed words, was extremely defensive but
generally spoke to me like I was incapable of discerning the
distinction between the two. I had to tell him there are clear
distinctions, written in law, between reman and used/rebuild, etc.
He finally said to me, "what do you want me to do?", I said, "honor the
agreement". He said they don't do remans, only rebuilds.

He said if I want I can have a transmission sent to his shop and he'll
install it and all I will pay is labor. I can do that for $550 (get a
trans over there delivered). I sent him a fax telling him at this
juncture I would agree to the following; Take the Jeep now and Pay him
$975 (price he originally quoted for a used trans) + $375 labor + oil.
I told him the Torque Converter thing he pulled (by the way, he
salvaged and refurbed my original for some other customer or something)
was a violation of law but I will meet him 1/2 on that price. In sum
with tax the whole job would cost me $1,600. I paid him the $2K with a
credit card so I can reverse that.

I told him this was my best effort to make the most out of the
situation at this point and not something I would be satisfied with but
would deal with. Either this or have all my parts returned, pull out
the trans installed, and I will have my Jeep towed else way. And if
this was not acceptable we would just be heading into the direction of
a legal quagmire, something I want to avert.

So who knows. I think what happend here is the vendor (repair shop)
did not appreciate the customer might well know the distinction between
"reman" and used and or refurbed or rebuilt. Beyond the
mechancial/procedural distinctions, there are legal distinctions,
actual State Laws governing this auto repair shops and parts when this
"remanufactured" language is used. Even this Torque Convert itemized
on my invoice...it does not say used or reman'ed and the absence of
that language makes one believe it's new. However state law in NY
requires used parts to be, on record identified as indeed "used parts".
Failure to do so is technically a violation of law.

There are few things as cherished to people than a straight shooting
mechanics that you can trust. God Bless all you that instill
confidence and comfort in your clients. I would not even get upset
over a mechanic performing something without informing me and paying
him. My only problem with that in this case is the series of "things"
done not quite right ultimately add up and paint a suspect picture...

Old March 29th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If that is the case then the original poster really got screwed. He agreed
to and paid for a transmission "remanufactured" in a factory, and got
something "rebuilt" in a shop. Going to a dealer is no guarantee of getting
a better deal though. Dealers are just as likely as anyone else to
"rebuild" a transmission on the premises, or to order a "remanufactured"
unit from a supplier of such.

About all this thread is good for now, is for you to read it, so you don't
get screwed the same way.

Earle

Old March 29th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I'm wondering how he "refurbed" your original torque converter, as from
memory they are a steel, welded shut unit.

Nobody "refurbs" a torque converter in a shop that can't remanufacture a
transmission.

Maybe he cleaned it up and sold it to someone else, maybe he cleaned it up
and sold it back to you, who knows, but he didn't refurb it.

Spdloader

ups.com...

Old March 29th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sounds like a case for a small claims court. If they have violated your
state laws, you should be able to get your money back for the areas where
they violated the law.

ups.com...

Repair Fraud? basva Technology 65 October 9th 05 11:26 PM
Question regarding body shop prices 223rem Driving 14 December 21st 04 04:33 PM
Consumer Advocacy Organization Takes Aim at Auto Repair Shop Rip-offs. Please Help! Kenneth Brotman 4x4 2 January 6th 04 06:21 PM
FA: 1978 Ford Service Shop Manual JohnC Antique cars 0 November 15th 03 01:58 PM