Help with video issue after mobo/cpu upgrade

Old October 11th 05, 02:31 PM
Ed Medlin

"V "fnugen"" > wrote in message
> Not a dumb question at all.........I ummmmmm, didn't. I know.......tried
> to cut a corner. Should have realized as soon as the "save time" phrase
> rattled through my head. LIVE AND LEARN !!! Good reason to enquire into
> the 64b XP now.

You can do a repair install, then reinstall all the MB and video drivers to
save some time. It sure beats reinstalling all your proggies.

Ed

Old October 11th 05, 08:11 PM
V \fnugen\

Ed Medlin wrote:
> "V "fnugen"" > wrote in message
>
>>Not a dumb question at all.........I ummmmmm, didn't. I know.......tried
>>to cut a corner. Should have realized as soon as the "save time" phrase
>>rattled through my head. LIVE AND LEARN !!! Good reason to enquire into
>>the 64b XP now.
>>

> You can do a repair install, then reinstall all the MB and video drivers to
> save some time. It sure beats reinstalling all your proggies.
>
> Ed

Yeah, kind of my lines of thinking. WHat have i got to lose by trying
it, I had already reserved myself to a reformat.........so if that is
then result, already in the mindset. I de believe it is old board driver
issues. Doing a 3d config in F1c, I get a rating of "videoram=114" on a
9800pro. Ummmmmm, nuh-uh !!! Via 400 chipset from old board and VIA
K8T800pro shipset on the new. Must be conflicts somewhere. I get a slide
show on F1c when it used to be smooth and fluid, GTL........do NOT even
ask....holy crap !!! I have updated and backdated the cat's as
well......still same.........so repair and ultimately (by my figuring)
reformat in near future. sucks, but oh well.

Verne
Old October 12th 05, 07:35 PM
V \fnugen\

V "fnugen" wrote:
> Ed Medlin wrote:
>
>> "V "fnugen"" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Not a dumb question at all.........I ummmmmm, didn't. I
>>> know.......tried to cut a corner. Should have realized as soon as the
>>> "save time" phrase rattled through my head. LIVE AND LEARN !!! Good
>>> reason to enquire into the 64b XP now.
>>>

>> You can do a repair install, then reinstall all the MB and video
>> drivers to save some time. It sure beats reinstalling all your proggies.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> Yeah, kind of my lines of thinking. WHat have i got to lose by trying
> it, I had already reserved myself to a reformat.........so if that is
> then result, already in the mindset. I de believe it is old board driver
> issues. Doing a 3d config in F1c, I get a rating of "videoram=114" on a
> 9800pro. Ummmmmm, nuh-uh !!! Via 400 chipset from old board and VIA
> K8T800pro shipset on the new. Must be conflicts somewhere. I get a slide
> show on F1c when it used to be smooth and fluid, GTL........do NOT even
> ask....holy crap !!! I have updated and backdated the cat's as
> well......still same.........so repair and ultimately (by my figuring)
> reformat in near future. sucks, but oh well.
>
> Verne

Okay.........stupid question time. How do I boot my pc off the winXP cd
to attempt a repair of XP ?? I placed the CD in my drive, changed CMOS
to 1st boot cd/dvd..........and it goes right into windows. WTF am I not
doing right ?? Off the CD I have install, or upgrade when in
windows.....can I shortcut my way through to the repair option through
there?? Not ready for a refromt yet, want to try the repair side of XP
and see........help !!!

Verne
Old October 12th 05, 07:48 PM
Remco Moedt

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:35:03 -0400, "V \"fnugen\""
> wrote:

>V "fnugen" wrote:
>> Ed Medlin wrote:

>>> You can do a repair install, then reinstall all the MB and video
>>> drivers to save some time. It sure beats reinstalling all your proggies.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>> Yeah, kind of my lines of thinking. WHat have i got to lose by trying
>> it, I had already reserved myself to a reformat.........so if that is
>> then result, already in the mindset. I de believe it is old board driver
>> issues. Doing a 3d config in F1c, I get a rating of "videoram=114" on a
>> 9800pro. Ummmmmm, nuh-uh !!! Via 400 chipset from old board and VIA
>> K8T800pro shipset on the new. Must be conflicts somewhere. I get a slide
>> show on F1c when it used to be smooth and fluid, GTL........do NOT even
>> ask....holy crap !!! I have updated and backdated the cat's as
>> well......still same.........so repair and ultimately (by my figuring)
>> reformat in near future. sucks, but oh well.
>>
>> Verne

>Okay.........stupid question time. How do I boot my pc off the winXP cd
>to attempt a repair of XP ?? I placed the CD in my drive, changed CMOS
>to 1st boot cd/dvd..........and it goes right into windows. WTF am I not
>doing right ?? Off the CD I have install, or upgrade when in
>windows.....can I shortcut my way through to the repair option through
>there?? Not ready for a refromt yet, want to try the repair side of XP
>and see........help !!!

During boot up you should get a message like "Press a key to boot from
CD"

Cheers!

Remco

Old October 12th 05, 08:19 PM
V \fnugen\

Remco Moedt wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:35:03 -0400, "V \"fnugen\""
> > wrote:
>

>>V "fnugen" wrote:

>>>Yeah, kind of my lines of thinking. WHat have i got to lose by trying
>>>it, I had already reserved myself to a reformat.........so if that is
>>>then result, already in the mindset. I de believe it is old board driver
>>>issues. Doing a 3d config in F1c, I get a rating of "videoram=114" on a
>>>9800pro. Ummmmmm, nuh-uh !!! Via 400 chipset from old board and VIA
>>>K8T800pro shipset on the new. Must be conflicts somewhere. I get a slide
>>>show on F1c when it used to be smooth and fluid, GTL........do NOT even
>>>ask....holy crap !!! I have updated and backdated the cat's as
>>>well......still same.........so repair and ultimately (by my figuring)
>>>reformat in near future. sucks, but oh well.
>>>
>>> Verne

>>Okay.........stupid question time. How do I boot my pc off the winXP cd
>>to attempt a repair of XP ?? I placed the CD in my drive, changed CMOS
>>to 1st boot cd/dvd..........and it goes right into windows. WTF am I not
>>doing right ?? Off the CD I have install, or upgrade when in
>>windows.....can I shortcut my way through to the repair option through
>>there?? Not ready for a refromt yet, want to try the repair side of XP
>>and see........help !!!

> During boot up you should get a message like "Press a key to boot from
> CD"
>

> Cheers!
>

> Remco

Ok, cool. That did it. I had walked away for a minute while booting
expecting a prompt...my bad. My problem now, having never set an admin
passwor, when it gets to that point in the repair menu, I hit enter and
get the next C:\windows prompt........then it just sits there, is there
some kind of command I am supposed to type ? I get stuck at that point
now. thanks

Old October 12th 05, 09:01 PM
Mitch_A

Thats the repair console.

This may help ya a bit

Personally I've not had much luck saving an install in the repair console.
Do you have your data backed up? Thats primarily what Ive used the console
for then I do a fresh re-install of the OS after my data is safe. If youre
data is safe already (as it should be) then do a clean install and be done.
After you get xp setup nice then do a ghost or similar image for future
headache savings

I dont feel right if I dont do a fresh install every 6 months anyway, hehe.

Mitch

Old October 12th 05, 10:27 PM
V \fnugen\

I tried a repair and as much as I hoped, I got what was expected, same
results. Now I am in the process of a reformat. Guess in the end I was
resigned tio this. I used the "files and settings transfer" wizard to backup
settings and some folders to my secondary drive. I hope I did it
right.......never having used this wizard before, is transfering back just
as easy? I have a large DAT file in my backup folder I created, do I double
click that, or is it obvious what to do in reverse in the wizard? As far as
ghosting my drive, I have serious video issues and that would just duplicate
the same problems as originally trying to fix. I guess turning off system
restore is a bad idea just to save some space?!?! Thanks again

Verne

.. .

Old October 13th 05, 02:04 PM
Ed Medlin

"V "fnugen"" > wrote in message
.. .
>I tried a repair and as much as I hoped, I got what was expected, same
>results. Now I am in the process of a reformat. Guess in the end I was
>resigned tio this. I used the "files and settings transfer" wizard to
>backup settings and some folders to my secondary drive. I hope I did it
>right.......never having used this wizard before, is transfering back just
>as easy? I have a large DAT file in my backup folder I created, do I double
>click that, or is it obvious what to do in reverse in the wizard? As far as
>ghosting my drive, I have serious video issues and that would just
>duplicate the same problems as originally trying to fix. I guess turning
>off system restore is a bad idea just to save some space?!?! Thanks
>again
>
> Verne

If you are already in Windows you can do it from there. Just go along like
you are doing a new install until you get to the point that XP finds your
old install. It will then ask you what you want to do with it. Select "R"
for repair and go from there. It works almost all the time just fine. There
are some cases that it will mess some things up, but I have always had very
good luck. You will most likely have to do an online activation or even make
a short phone call because of your new equipment but that is no biggie. You
would have the same thing with a format and a reinstall.

Ed