Help with video issue after mobo/cpu upgrade

Old October 8th 05, 09:14 PM
Amy L.

Some games after changes will require you to re-run the graphics setup.
Have you tried that?

Amy

. ..

Old October 9th 05, 05:18 PM
V \fnugen\

Yes I am aware of redoing my settings. After a long night of trying what I
conclude as almost evrything, my system came down to the point of ONLY
powering itself....it is stuck in "RTC" mode. Trying to read real time
clock. Turns out that it may be an issue with the board. The board may be
defective entirely as the chip would run at 83c when normally this chips
runs no higher than 70c according to some support and tech sites. It's
thanksgiving weekend in Canada, so I can't even contact the retailer until
tuesday now..sucks, because now there is 3 days between purchase and
contact. I really hope the video issue is attributed to a faulty board.
thanks for the suggestion though.......but the video issue now seems the
lessor of 2 evils.

Old October 9th 05, 10:09 PM
JML

I had a llittle bit similar problem for months. My Ati 9600 XT Turbo worked
for 30+ minutes and then just crashed. In some cases mouse moved and sounds
were still playing, but couldnt control anything.

It only happened in some new games that need a lot from adapter (GTR and
BF2). I tried to change everything, starting from display drivers, added RAM
memory etc. Finally I had help from one forum. I ran Everest software and
some pro noticed from the report that although I had AGP adapter, my
computer for some strange reason thought display adapter is running in PCI
bus. With so, the computer ran display adapter memory bus on 1/4 of normal
speed. I updated SIS motherboard AGP drivers and immediately it helped. No
problems what so ever.

After these problems I tested the card with a test software and got around
3400 points (before that, 1280). Cause I already was frustrated of the
problem, I ordered a new computer (before the problem was solved) with AMD
4000+ and PCI-Express nVidia Gainward GS 7800 GT card. Well, have to say
that I dont have a single game more, that couldnt be runned with 100% detail
levels etc. Its great and together with the graphic detail level the
computer is around 10 times faster than my older one (Intel 2.4 MHz with ATi
9600Pro Turbo).

I wouldnt go for ATI anymore. Driver updates are a mess and it seems that at
least those games I play, ATI has 10 times the problems than nVidia based
adapters.Drivers are easy to update and you dont need different driver
versions from different manufacturers with nVidia. For me - never ATI again!

"V "fnugen"" > kirjoitti
.com...

Old October 10th 05, 02:55 AM
Philthy

Dumb question, but you *DID* reinstall your OS with a clean install,
didn't you? You just gave your PC a brain trans-plant.

Phil

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 00:25:27 -0400, "V \"fnugen\""

Old October 10th 05, 03:24 AM
Dave

"JML" > wrote in message news:0Gf2f.361

> I ordered a new computer (before the problem was solved) with AMD
> 4000+ and PCI-Express nVidia Gainward GS 7800 GT card. Well, >have to say
> that I dont have a single game more, that couldnt be runned with 100% detail
> levels etc. Its great and together with the graphic detail level the
> computer is around 10 times faster than my older one (Intel 2.4 MHz with ATi
> 9600Pro Turbo).

What was the price on that setup? I'm looking to buy a new box myself.
Thanks!
Dave

Old October 10th 05, 05:28 AM
V \fnugen\

Not a dumb question at all.........I ummmmmm, didn't. I know.......tried
to cut a corner. Should have realized as soon as the "save time" phrase
rattled through my head. LIVE AND LEARN !!! Good reason to enquire into the
64b XP now.

Verne

Old October 10th 05, 05:32 AM
V \fnugen\

"Dave" > wrote in message

> "JML" > wrote in message news:0Gf2f.361
>
>> I ordered a new computer (before the problem was solved) with AMD
>> 4000+ and PCI-Express nVidia Gainward GS 7800 GT card. Well, >have to say
>> that I dont have a single game more, that couldnt be runned with 100%
>> detail
>> levels etc. Its great and together with the graphic detail level the
>> computer is around 10 times faster than my older one (Intel 2.4 MHz with
>> ATi
>> 9600Pro Turbo).
>>

> What was the price on that setup? I'm looking to buy a new box myself.
> Thanks!
> Dave

I got them for $471 CDN. Was the best deal I could get close by, and in
stock items. I can't comment on the quality yet, as I haven't gotten that
far. Problems arose. BUT.........I can't wait to find out how GTL runs, my
ultimate goal, all the F1c mods 2nd then GTR.

Verne

Old October 10th 05, 02:28 PM
Goy Larsen

V \"fnugen\" wrote:

> Not a dumb question at all.........I ummmmmm, didn't. I know.......tried
> to cut a corner. Should have realized as soon as the "save time" phrase
> rattled through my head. LIVE AND LEARN !!! Good reason to enquire into the
> 64b XP now.

While there is no performance hit from running 64b over 32b XP, nor is
there currently a performance gain you'd notice, you could end up having
peripherals that no longer work depending on whether they have 64 bit
driver available for them, so make sure you check for driver
availability before taking the plunge

Beers and cheers
(uncle) Goy

"The Pits" http://www.theuspits.com/

"When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."

--Our Lord John Cleese--
Old October 10th 05, 07:53 PM
JML

I paid 1400 euros for my set with 2 Gt RAM, Gainward GS 7800 GT and AMD
4000+ processor. I have to say that although I´ve been in IT business for
years, this is the first time I really have a MACHINE that works in games
perfectly (for some months at least ;-)

"Dave" > kirjoitti