1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4

Old September 20th 05, 05:29 PM
bcoe

Default 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4

After driving for about fifteen minutes ( when the driving temp reaches
about 205 and 210 it just shuts down> After cooling for awhile or if I
pour water over the intake manifold it starts right back up.

Old September 21st 05, 02:43 PM
Mike Romain

What engine?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 22nd 05, 03:50 AM
bcoe

It's a 300 6 cyclinder

Old September 22nd 05, 02:38 PM
Mike Romain

Someone has dropped a Ford engine in it then. I recommend you go to the
person that built it for the fix. Way too many variable when you have a
transplanted engine.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 22nd 05, 06:02 PM
bcoe

I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE ENGINE, IT IS A STRAIGHT 6, 4.0 liter

Old September 22nd 05, 08:50 PM
Mike Romain

You never know with Jeeps, folks do put some strange engines in them.
LOL!

Someone else is asking about using a slant 6 even over on another
group...

Yours is a 4.0 or 242ci then.

Then I would look near the drivers side rear on top of the manifold near
the brake booster for a plug and socket with a red and white I believe
they are wires in it. This plug and socket need to be opened up and
cleaned with a spray contact cleaner likely.

This is the connection for the CPS and it fails just like you describe.
They stuck it on top of the exhaust manifold for some strange reason.

This passes computer signals and can be corroded even when 'looking'
clean. Electronic stores sell spray contact cleaner or in a pinch you
can use WD40 which is a solvent and water displacer. I recommend
dielectric grease on the plug seal skirts when you put it back
together. Spark plug boot protector will work.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 25th 05, 04:52 AM
bcoe

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow, and let you know what happens.