NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

Old February 18th 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

Default NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

wrote:

>>> Yes, USA is now a communist country.
>>>
>>> My employee's father has an RV in my parking lot (with
>>> current tags) after he was threatened with a tow from his
>>> own driveway as 'abandoned vehicle'.

>> The City gave us static about "too many vehicles" -- all of which were
>> either currently registered or in official non-op status. That's why we
>> sold the 55 Chevy for $500 and the 58 Chevy pickup for $100.
>>
>> Before that I had vaguely thought that zoning regs were OK. Not any
>> more. If it's intrusive or none, I pick none.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Bev

> You guys got that right. Zoning is all about the rich folks sensitive nature.

They might be offended by seeing an older vehicle. Such a thing might affect
the impression they are trying to make with their visitors. BS crap!
Not many
freedoms left in this country. Even a starving person would be arrested for
poaching the "kings" fish or deer. We are easily just as bad now in this
country
as it was in europe when people were fleeing to come to america when this
country was first discovered. Think about it. You don't even own your own
home if they can tax you on it. Fall on hard times and they take it away
from you.
---

Yeah, Capitalism, isn't it just great.
Old February 18th 16, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

On 2/18/2016 11:46 AM, JR wrote:

> NAPA store people wouldn't let me use their restroom to take a leak. I never go to NAPA anymore.

Lucky NAPA, they're no doubt STILL counting their blessings.
Old February 18th 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_13_]

wrote:

>>> Yes, USA is now a communist country.
>>>
>>> My employee's father has an RV in my parking lot (with
>>> current tags) after he was threatened with a tow from his
>>> own driveway as 'abandoned vehicle'.

>> The City gave us static about "too many vehicles" -- all of which were
>> either currently registered or in official non-op status. That's why we
>> sold the 55 Chevy for $500 and the 58 Chevy pickup for $100.
>>
>> Before that I had vaguely thought that zoning regs were OK. Not any
>> more. If it's intrusive or none, I pick none.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Bev

> You guys got that right. Zoning is all about the rich folks sensitive nature. They might be offended by seeing an older vehicle. Such a thing might affect the impression they are trying to make with their visitors. BS crap! Not many freedoms left in this country. Even a starving person would be arrested for poaching the "kings" fish or deer. We are easily just as bad now in this country as it was in europe when people were fleeing to come to america when this country was first discovered. Think about it. You don't even own your own home if they can tax you on it. Fall on hard times and they take it away from you.

I don't typically use either. These days I forget about the middleman
and just buy stuff on eBay. I just got a kit with water pump, timing
belt, tensioner and pulley, and cam seals, for $150. I also ordered some
headlight housings for $129/set. I'll probably have to pick up a turbo
which will also cost around $190 to $250. These prices sure make living
with a 04 Passat easier.
Old February 18th 16, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

wrote:

> >> The City gave us static about "too many vehicles" -- all of which were
> >> either currently registered or in official non-op status. That's why we
> >> sold the 55 Chevy for $500 and the 58 Chevy pickup for $100.
> >>
> >> Before that I had vaguely thought that zoning regs were OK. Not any
> >> more. If it's intrusive or none, I pick none.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Bev

> > You guys got that right. Zoning is all about the rich folks sensitive nature. They might be offended by seeing an older vehicle. Such a thing might affect the impression they are trying to make with their visitors. BS crap! Not many freedoms left in this country. Even a starving person would be arrested for poaching the "kings" fish or deer. We are easily just as bad now in this country as it was in europe when people were fleeing to come to america when this country was first discovered. Think about it. You don't even own your own home if they can tax you on it. Fall on hard times and they take it away from you.
> >

> I don't typically use either. These days I forget about the middleman
> and just buy stuff on eBay. I just got a kit with water pump, timing
> belt, tensioner and pulley, and cam seals, for $150. I also ordered some
> headlight housings for $129/set. I'll probably have to pick up a turbo
> which will also cost around $190 to $250. These prices sure make living
> with a 04 Passat easier.

Google/WhatEva,,, Independent Auto Parts Stores ...in your State/City ...Nomada WhatEva Youtube
Old February 22nd 16, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 6:22:50 PM UTC-10, JR wrote:
> On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 5:31:48 PM UTC-6, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:
> > On 7 Jan 2016 10:02:59 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> >
> > >In article >,
> > >
> > >The problem is that really none of them tend to have consistently good
> > >quality. I try and work with locally-owned shops whenever possible.
> > >
> > >I will say that the top tier parts from NAPA tend to be better than the
> > >top tier products from the other chains... but the lower tier ones are just
> > >as bad as the lower tier ones from the other chains.
> > >
> > >And yes, I'd buy parts on ebay. Sometimes that's the only way to find some
> > >things for older cars.
> > >--scott

> > Sometimes the part numbers and brand for a particular part is the same
> > at Autozone or ORiellys as it is at NAPA but when that is the case the
> > price is usually higher at NAPA.

> There is an automotive electric repair shop less than one mile West from me. Alernator/starter motor repair, I take them to that shop.

We had one down our street too. That was a good thing but they moved. Too bad. My recommendation is that you use the bathroom before you take your starter or alternator to your shop - whatever you do, don't ask to use their bathroom! OTOH, using the bathroom in an automobile parts place seems to be a losing proposition most times.
Old February 22nd 16, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 2:42:26 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 6:22:50 PM UTC-10, JR wrote:

> > > Sometimes the part numbers and brand for a particular part is the same
> > > at Autozone or ORiellys as it is at NAPA but when that is the case the
> > > price is usually higher at NAPA.

> > There is an automotive electric repair shop less than one mile West from me. Alernator/starter motor repair, I take them to that shop.

> We had one down our street too. That was a good thing but they moved. Too bad. My recommendation is that you use the bathroom before you take your starter or alternator to your shop - whatever you do, don't ask to use their bathroom! OTOH, using the bathroom in an automobile parts place seems to be a losing proposition most times.

Graves Auto Electric (shop) on Highway 80. As sure as I am sitting here on doggy's couch, I am 100 percent certain that Graves Auto Electric would let me use their rest room. It was in January, a cold morning and I had drank a LOT of coffee, about five or six years ago when I was at that NAPA store on West Highland Drive. Long before that, the Autozone store on Ellis Avenue did let me use their rest room. You know how it T'is, When you got to GO, you GOT TO GO!
Old February 22nd 16, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_13_]

On 2/22/2016 10:22 AM, JR wrote:
> On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 2:42:26 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

>>> There is an automotive electric repair shop less than one mile West from me. Alernator/starter motor repair, I take them to that shop.

>> We had one down our street too. That was a good thing but they moved. Too bad. My recommendation is that you use the bathroom before you take your starter or alternator to your shop - whatever you do, don't ask to use their bathroom! OTOH, using the bathroom in an automobile parts place seems to be a losing proposition most times.

> Graves Auto Electric (shop) on Highway 80. As sure as I am sitting here on doggy's couch, I am 100 percent certain that Graves Auto Electric would let me use their rest room. It was in January, a cold morning and I had drank a LOT of coffee, about five or six years ago when I was at that NAPA store on West Highland Drive. Long before that, the Autozone store on Ellis Avenue did let me use their rest room. You know how it T'is, When you got to GO, you GOT TO GO!

Asking to use the bathroom is a dead sure way to find out who your real
friends are. This is why I always let people use my bathroom.
Old February 23rd 16, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 5:02:19 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On 2/22/2016 10:22 AM, JR wrote:

> >> We had one down our street too. That was a good thing but they moved. Too bad. My recommendation is that you use the bathroom before you take your starter or alternator to your shop - whatever you do, don't ask to use their bathroom! OTOH, using the bathroom in an automobile parts place seems to be a losing proposition most times.

> > Graves Auto Electric (shop) on Highway 80. As sure as I am sitting here on doggy's couch, I am 100 percent certain that Graves Auto Electric would let me use their rest room. It was in January, a cold morning and I had drank a LOT of coffee, about five or six years ago when I was at that NAPA store on West Highland Drive. Long before that, the Autozone store on Ellis Avenue did let me use their rest room. You know how it T'is, When you got to GO, you GOT TO GO!
> >

> Asking to use the bathroom is a dead sure way to find out who your real
> friends are. This is why I always let people use my bathroom.

Test em out. Can I use your rest room. (No) Tell them Bye, and go to another auto parts store.