Life expectancy of leather sits

Old November 3rd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

Default Life expectancy of leather sits

I am looking at my driver sit leather and I see it
significantly wrinkled - not cracked yet, but...
The car is 2004 with 48000 miles on it - how long
before I should expect the leather sits to crack?

What is the best way to extend their life expectancy?

BTW - are the sits made from *real* leather? I have
my doubts looking at the map pocket behind the sit,
which looks like just black vinyl with white foam
or cloth undercoating...
Old November 3rd 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

Pszemol wrote:
> I am looking at my driver sit leather and I see it
> significantly wrinkled - not cracked yet, but...
> The car is 2004 with 48000 miles on it - how long
> before I should expect the leather sits to crack?

My leather seats are 18 years old and are like new. YMMV.

dan
Old November 3rd 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"dan" > wrote in message ...
> Pszemol wrote:
>> I am looking at my driver sit leather and I see it
>> significantly wrinkled - not cracked yet, but...
>> The car is 2004 with 48000 miles on it - how long
>> before I should expect the leather sits to crack?

> My leather seats are 18 years old and are like new.

Cool, how much driving have you done during these 18yr?
How do you take care for your leather?
Old November 3rd 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

68Pszemol wrote:
> "dan" > wrote in message
>> Pszemol wrote:
>>> I am looking at my driver sit leather and I see it
>>> significantly wrinkled - not cracked yet, but...
>>> The car is 2004 with 48000 miles on it - how long
>>> before I should expect the leather sits to crack?

>> My leather seats are 18 years old and are like new.

> Cool, how much driving have you done during these 18yr?
> How do you take care for your leather?

I should have said the car has been garaged it's whole life, and has
68K miles. Usually only has a driver and no passengers. The back seat
is like brand new and the fronts are real nice. I don't think that
there has been anything done to the seats except the original owner had
"perma-plate leatherguard" and "vinyl protectant" applied at the
stealership that had a 5 year warranty.

I think the wear and tear has a lot to do with the owner of the vehicle.

I have not, and do not plan on using any chemicals on the seats whatsoever.

dan
Old November 4th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"dan" > wrote in message ...
> 68Pszemol wrote:
>>>
>>> My leather seats are 18 years old and are like new.

>> Cool, how much driving have you done during these 18yr?
>> How do you take care for your leather?

> I should have said the car has been garaged it's whole life, and has
> 68K miles. Usually only has a driver and no passengers. The back seat
> is like brand new and the fronts are real nice. I don't think that
> there has been anything done to the seats except the original owner had
> "perma-plate leatherguard" and "vinyl protectant" applied at the
> stealership that had a 5 year warranty.

Well, you gave very missleading statement then... :-)

Anybody reading your first post here about 18 years
old car could have imagined a car with a normal driving
schedule of 12k-15k miles per year, so it would mean
a car with milleage of 216-270k ->>> Good luck
finding such car with original leather sits in good
condition... :-)

Sits are not geting damage from being in the garage
for years - they get damage from sitting on them :-)
Getting in and out of vehicle, temperature changes,
UV rays and humidity, etc...

> I think the wear and tear has a lot to do with the owner of the vehicle.

What exactly do you mean?

> I have not, and do not plan on using any chemicals on the seats whatsoever.

With that rate of driving I would not either...
I got my '04 accord in May '07 with 38k miles - now in November it has 48k.
Probably somewhere next year I will hit 68k and get equal wear with
your 18 years old car :-)
Old November 4th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

Pszemol wrote:

>>> How do you take care for your leather?

If it ain't broke...

dan
Old November 4th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"dan" > wrote in message ...

> If it ain't broke...

I am not trying to fix something not broken.
I want to PREVENT premature crack - can you see the difference?
Old November 4th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Pszemol" > wrote in message

>> If it ain't broke...

> I am not trying to fix something not broken.
> I want to PREVENT premature crack - can you see the difference?

'01 Accord w/leather. 194,000 miles. No care taken, no rips or tears.

Old November 5th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Seth" > wrote in message ...
> '01 Accord w/leather. 194,000 miles. No care taken, no rips or tears.

Thanks - much more convincing :-)
Old November 5th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Pszemol wrote:
> "dan" > wrote in message
>> 68Pszemol wrote:

>>> Cool, how much driving have you done during these 18yr?
>>> How do you take care for your leather?

>> I should have said the car has been garaged it's whole life, and has
>> 68K miles. Usually only has a driver and no passengers. The back seat
>> is like brand new and the fronts are real nice. I don't think that
>> there has been anything done to the seats except the original owner
>> had "perma-plate leatherguard" and "vinyl protectant" applied at the
>> stealership that had a 5 year warranty.

> Well, you gave very missleading statement then... :-)
>
> Anybody reading your first post here about 18 years
> old car could have imagined a car with a normal driving
> schedule of 12k-15k miles per year, so it would mean
> a car with milleage of 216-270k ->>> Good luck
> finding such car with original leather sits in good
> condition... :-)
>
> Sits are not geting damage from being in the garage
> for years

Au contraire, I beg to differ here, time is certainly a factor in the
service life of leather seats. True, no one's sliding in and out of them
while the car's garaged, but they're aging nonetheless, e.g., drying out
& splitting or cracking, being attacked by whatever air pollution flies
around your neighborhood, dust (dirt) settling on them, etc.