Flood damage to car engines

Old June 21st 07, 08:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
william Ako

Default Flood damage to car engines

Well said, Blame the manufacturer instead of your own stupidity. People
should start taking responsibilty for their own action. Drink a hot cup of
coffes and sue some one because it is too hot. Bloody IDIOTS.

Old June 21st 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
> wrote:
> Come on guys - Really how many of you realised that all the NEW BMW and
> Mercedes had the air intake below the Axle centre?

It's been common practice for years to position it in the coolest
airsteam - which means as low as possible and clear of the rad, etc. My
20 year old car has it at bumper level.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 21st 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Gordon Shumway

The short answer is "stupidity!"

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:49:59 -0400, "bradthomas"

Old June 22nd 07, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
tww1491

"bradthomas" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Due to the recent downpours we have had there has been lots of flooding
> country wide. Unfortunately I drove my 6 month old BMW 335d Coupe into
> such a flood. Other cars were passing through it and once my turn came I
> atempted to go through the flood about 1foot high. My car stopped dead
> about 5m into the flood and I phoned BMW emergency who took my car to a
> dealer. I have since found out that the engine as been wrote off along
> with turbo's and intercooler and the bill is above 15k to repair the car.
> At the BMW garage they have had above 10 cars this week with the same
> problem and my friend who is the head mechanic at the local Mercedes
> garage has had over 40 with the same problem. Apparently the water goes
> through the air intake into the engine prevents the piston compressing and
> then the con rods go through the engine sides. What I cannot understand is
> why do they not tell you this? If you new the damage that could be done no
> one would attempt to go through floods. The other thing is this is a
> modern
> car problem as older cars air intake was on top off the engine and no such
> damage ever ocurred. I am covered by my insurance but have obviously got
> to pay my excess. I feel this is a scam by the car manufacturers and
> dealers because there must be a way of preventing this from happening but
> its obviously not in there interest to prevent it as the income that it
> generates for the garages is an income paid by the insurance. I.e free
> turnover! I would just like someone who as expierenced this or nows more
> about it to enlighten me as to why this is happening???

That other cars apparently made it through and your BMW did not would
suggest that the intake is lower -- than shall we say a Honda Accord or a
Toyota Camry. But, with water a foot high there also was probably a wake.
15k to repair seems high, though.

Old June 22nd 07, 12:24 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"bradthomas" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Due to the recent downpours we have had there has been lots of flooding
> country wide. Unfortunately I drove my 6 month old BMW 335d Coupe into
> such a flood. Other cars were passing through it and once my turn came I
> atempted to go through the flood about 1foot high. My car stopped dead
> about 5m into the flood and I phoned BMW emergency who took my car to a
> dealer. I have since found out that the engine as been wrote off along
> with turbo's and intercooler and the bill is above 15k to repair the car.
> At the BMW garage they have had above 10 cars this week with the same
> problem and my friend who is the head mechanic at the local Mercedes
> garage has had over 40 with the same problem. Apparently the water goes
> through the air intake into the engine prevents the piston compressing and
> then the con rods go through the engine sides. What I cannot understand is
> why do they not tell you this? If you new the damage that could be done no
> one would attempt to go through floods. The other thing is this is a
> modern
> car problem as older cars air intake was on top off the engine and no such
> damage ever ocurred. I am covered by my insurance but have obviously got
> to pay my excess. I feel this is a scam by the car manufacturers and
> dealers because there must be a way of preventing this from happening but
> its obviously not in there interest to prevent it as the income that it
> generates for the garages is an income paid by the insurance. I.e free
> turnover! I would just like someone who as expierenced this or nows more
> about it to enlighten me as to why this is happening???

You are supposed to know that driving in deep water is bad.

Old June 22nd 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jack[_7_]

That's a very nice story, Brad.
Thanks for the entertainment.

Old June 22nd 07, 03:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "bradthomas" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > Due to the recent downpours we have had there has been lots of flooding
> > country wide. Unfortunately I drove my 6 month old BMW 335d Coupe into
> > such a flood. Other cars were passing through it and once my turn came I
> > atempted to go through the flood about 1foot high. My car stopped dead
> > about 5m into the flood and I phoned BMW emergency who took my car to a
> > dealer. I have since found out that the engine as been wrote off along
> > with turbo's and intercooler and the bill is above 15k to repair the

car.
> > At the BMW garage they have had above 10 cars this week with the same
> > problem and my friend who is the head mechanic at the local Mercedes
> > garage has had over 40 with the same problem. Apparently the water goes
> > through the air intake into the engine prevents the piston compressing

and
> > then the con rods go through the engine sides. What I cannot understand

is
> > why do they not tell you this? If you new the damage that could be done

no
> > one would attempt to go through floods. The other thing is this is a
> > modern
> > car problem as older cars air intake was on top off the engine and no

such
> > damage ever ocurred. I am covered by my insurance but have obviously got
> > to pay my excess. I feel this is a scam by the car manufacturers and
> > dealers because there must be a way of preventing this from happening

but
> > its obviously not in there interest to prevent it as the income that it
> > generates for the garages is an income paid by the insurance. I.e free
> > turnover! I would just like someone who as expierenced this or nows more
> > about it to enlighten me as to why this is happening???
> >

> You are supposed to know that driving in deep water is bad.

in all my 70's celicas i had, i used to blast through floods, hell the water
was higher than my car with the spash...theres a couple of road sin
Sheffield that always flood, ones under a bridge in a dip, i always went
through it, the other cars had to goto the middle of the road slow, and
still conk out, i used to just keep going, only problem i had, was the force
on the streering wheel, or if i forgot to shut the window...

good fun....

Old June 22nd 07, 03:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Jules" > wrote in message
.uk...

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>
>> "bradthomas" > wrote in message
>> lkaboutautos.com...
>> > Due to the recent downpours we have had there has been lots of flooding
>> > country wide. Unfortunately I drove my 6 month old BMW 335d Coupe into
>> > such a flood. Other cars were passing through it and once my turn came
>> > atempted to go through the flood about 1foot high. My car stopped dead
>> > about 5m into the flood and I phoned BMW emergency who took my car to a
>> > dealer. I have since found out that the engine as been wrote off along
>> > with turbo's and intercooler and the bill is above 15k to repair the

> car.
>> > At the BMW garage they have had above 10 cars this week with the same
>> > problem and my friend who is the head mechanic at the local Mercedes
>> > garage has had over 40 with the same problem. Apparently the water goes
>> > through the air intake into the engine prevents the piston compressing

> and
>> > then the con rods go through the engine sides. What I cannot understand

> is
>> > why do they not tell you this? If you new the damage that could be done

> no
>> > one would attempt to go through floods. The other thing is this is a
>> > modern
>> > car problem as older cars air intake was on top off the engine and no

> such
>> > damage ever ocurred. I am covered by my insurance but have obviously
>> > got
>> > to pay my excess. I feel this is a scam by the car manufacturers and
>> > dealers because there must be a way of preventing this from happening

> but
>> > its obviously not in there interest to prevent it as the income that it
>> > generates for the garages is an income paid by the insurance. I.e free
>> > turnover! I would just like someone who as expierenced this or nows
>> > more
>> > about it to enlighten me as to why this is happening???
>> >

>> You are supposed to know that driving in deep water is bad.
>>

> in all my 70's celicas i had, i used to blast through floods, hell the
> water
> was higher than my car with the spash...theres a couple of road sin
> Sheffield that always flood, ones under a bridge in a dip, i always went
> through it, the other cars had to goto the middle of the road slow, and
> still conk out, i used to just keep going, only problem i had, was the
> force
> on the streering wheel, or if i forgot to shut the window...
>
> good fun....

For future reference, sucking water into the motor can be fatal for the
motor. This is not something that is new. The term of this is hydrolock.
Water does not compress as the piston rises, the resulting solid block that
forms between the top of the piston and the bottom of the cylinder head can
cause any number of horrible things to happen. Typically, a connecting rod
will break.

When you drive into water and make a splash that washes over the hood, there
is an air pocket around the engine intake, but if the water is deep enough,
when the pocket collapses water can get sucked into the motor. If the motor
is spinning slowly at that point, it may only stall out due to the intrusion
of water, but if the motor is cranking at a high speed then the solid block
of water will do serious damage. It you are lucky, the distributor gets wet
and stalls the motor before any serious damage can result. Of course, at
that point water is high enough to seep in around the doors and soak the
carpets, but that can be dried.

Old June 22nd 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

> "Jules" > wrote in message
> .uk...
> >
> > "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "bradthomas" > wrote in message
> >> lkaboutautos.com...

flooding

into

came

dead

along

> > car.

goes

compressing
> > and

understand
> > is

done
> > no

> > such

> > but

it

free

> >> You are supposed to know that driving in deep water is bad.
> >>

> > in all my 70's celicas i had, i used to blast through floods, hell the
> > water
> > was higher than my car with the spash...theres a couple of road sin
> > Sheffield that always flood, ones under a bridge in a dip, i always went
> > through it, the other cars had to goto the middle of the road slow, and
> > still conk out, i used to just keep going, only problem i had, was the
> > force
> > on the streering wheel, or if i forgot to shut the window...
> >
> > good fun....
> >

> For future reference, sucking water into the motor can be fatal for the
> motor. This is not something that is new. The term of this is hydrolock.
> Water does not compress as the piston rises, the resulting solid block

that
> forms between the top of the piston and the bottom of the cylinder head

can
> cause any number of horrible things to happen. Typically, a connecting rod
> will break.
>
> When you drive into water and make a splash that washes over the hood,

there
> is an air pocket around the engine intake, but if the water is deep

enough,
> when the pocket collapses water can get sucked into the motor. If the

motor
> is spinning slowly at that point, it may only stall out due to the

intrusion
> of water, but if the motor is cranking at a high speed then the solid

block
> of water will do serious damage. It you are lucky, the distributor gets

wet
> and stalls the motor before any serious damage can result. Of course, at
> that point water is high enough to seep in around the doors and soak the
> carpets, but that can be dried.

yeah, the air intake on the old celcia's was a tiny hole, on a long
neck.....of course when i was young i didnt think of the outcome, just
laughing at the other cars....guess i was lucky though