$ 567.00 for ten minutes labor !?!?!?!?!

Old October 4th 05, 11:03 PM
Michael J. Delaglio

Default $ 567.00 for ten minutes labor !?!?!?!?!

Just got my 2000 GT back from the dealer. The RPM's would drop all the way
down and I'd have to give it gas at idle to keep it going. I figured it was
TP issue .

Turns out it was the air intake vale. Two bolts hold the thing in and it
is right out in the open. Probably would take about ten minutes to put one
in.

The dealer charged me $ 201.17 for the two parts: F8VZ*9F715*AB (Throtle
Air By-Pa) and XR3Z*9E498*AG (Connector)

They also charged $ 567.00 for the labor.

I absolutely dont believe it.

Comments on the labor charge ???

Michael

Old October 4th 05, 11:26 PM
John C.

"Michael J. Delaglio" > wrote in message
> Just got my 2000 GT back from the dealer. The RPM's would drop all the way
> down and I'd have to give it gas at idle to keep it going. I figured it was
> TP issue .
>
> Turns out it was the air intake vale. Two bolts hold the thing in and it
> is right out in the open. Probably would take about ten minutes to put one
> in.
>
> The dealer charged me $ 201.17 for the two parts: F8VZ*9F715*AB (Throtle
> Air By-Pa) and XR3Z*9E498*AG (Connector)
>
> They also charged $ 567.00 for the labor.
>
> I absolutely dont believe it.
>
> Comments on the labor charge ???

Ouch! It must have taken 7 hours and 50 minutes to troubleshoot. That place
must have some real cracker-jack techs.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt.

Old October 4th 05, 11:40 PM
Michael J. Delaglio

"John C." > wrote in message

> "Michael J. Delaglio" > wrote in message
>> Just got my 2000 GT back from the dealer. The RPM's would drop all the
>> way
>> down and I'd have to give it gas at idle to keep it going. I figured it
>> was
>> TP issue .
>>
>> Turns out it was the air intake vale. Two bolts hold the thing in and
>> it
>> is right out in the open. Probably would take about ten minutes to put
>> one
>> in.
>>
>> The dealer charged me $ 201.17 for the two parts: F8VZ*9F715*AB (Throtle
>> Air By-Pa) and XR3Z*9E498*AG (Connector)
>>
>> They also charged $ 567.00 for the labor.
>>
>> I absolutely dont believe it.
>>
>> Comments on the labor charge ???
>>

> Ouch! It must have taken 7 hours and 50 minutes to troubleshoot. That
> place
> must have some real cracker-jack techs.
> --
> John C.
> '03 Cobra Convt.

"Cracker-jack techs".... LOL Good one !!! The part that was replaced is
directly responsible for the idle control. I took the car in for an idle
problem. It sould be the first thing that they check or at least one of the
first things. I'm always the first to give a tech the benifit of the doubt
because I used to fix cars myself at a VW place during my first two years of
college way back in 1986-1988. Lots of air-cooled bugs and the like. I
always remember how just about every customer wanted to know why the repairs
would cost so much. They all wanted to pay twenty bucks to have a clutch
job done.

In my case here, $ 567.00 labor to diagnose an obvious problem and then do
ten minutes of remove-replace is totally out of hand. It was a straight-up
rip-off !!!!!

Michael

Old October 5th 05, 12:53 AM
Joe

"Michael J. Delaglio" > wrote in
:

> "John C." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael J. Delaglio" > wrote in message
>>> Just got my 2000 GT back from the dealer. The RPM's would drop all
>>> the way
>>> down and I'd have to give it gas at idle to keep it going. I
>>> figured it was
>>> TP issue .
>>>
>>> Turns out it was the air intake vale. Two bolts hold the thing in
>>> and it
>>> is right out in the open. Probably would take about ten minutes to
>>> put one
>>> in.
>>>
>>> The dealer charged me $ 201.17 for the two parts: F8VZ*9F715*AB
>>> (Throtle Air By-Pa) and XR3Z*9E498*AG (Connector)
>>>
>>> They also charged $ 567.00 for the labor.
>>>
>>> I absolutely dont believe it.
>>>
>>> Comments on the labor charge ???
>>>

>> Ouch! It must have taken 7 hours and 50 minutes to troubleshoot.
>> That place
>> must have some real cracker-jack techs.
>> --
>> John C.
>> '03 Cobra Convt.
>>

> "Cracker-jack techs".... LOL Good one !!! The part that was
> replaced is directly responsible for the idle control. I took the
> car in for an idle problem. It sould be the first thing that they
> check or at least one of the first things. I'm always the first to
> give a tech the benifit of the doubt because I used to fix cars
> myself at a VW place during my first two years of college way back in
> 1986-1988. Lots of air-cooled bugs and the like. I always remember
> how just about every customer wanted to know why the repairs would
> cost so much. They all wanted to pay twenty bucks to have a clutch
> job done.
>
> In my case here, $ 567.00 labor to diagnose an obvious problem and
> then do ten minutes of remove-replace is totally out of hand. It was
> a straight-up rip-off !!!!!
>
> Michael

Write the GM of the dealership and tell him/her how angry you are and
that they've lost a customer for life.

Include copies of the repair including the cost. Tell the GM that the
job was a complete rip-off considering what was done.

Also tell him/her that if it took that long to diagnose the problem,
they've got morons working as techs there and you won't be returning
simply because of that.

Finally, tell them that you're going to complain to corporate about the
entire thing, and you'll be using the GM's name.

If you don't get a reply, you at least have the small satisfaction of
informing corporate that they've got some rip-off artists at work.

If you get a reply, perhaps they'll try to make amends or at least
offer you some kind of compensation. Might be worth a shot.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old October 5th 05, 01:31 AM
Michael J. Delaglio

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "Michael J. Delaglio" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "John C." > wrote in message

>>> Ouch! It must have taken 7 hours and 50 minutes to troubleshoot.
>>> That place
>>> must have some real cracker-jack techs.
>>> --
>>> John C.
>>> '03 Cobra Convt.
>>>

>> "Cracker-jack techs".... LOL Good one !!! The part that was
>> replaced is directly responsible for the idle control. I took the
>> car in for an idle problem. It sould be the first thing that they
>> check or at least one of the first things. I'm always the first to
>> give a tech the benifit of the doubt because I used to fix cars
>> myself at a VW place during my first two years of college way back in
>> 1986-1988. Lots of air-cooled bugs and the like. I always remember
>> how just about every customer wanted to know why the repairs would
>> cost so much. They all wanted to pay twenty bucks to have a clutch
>> job done.
>>
>> In my case here, $ 567.00 labor to diagnose an obvious problem and
>> then do ten minutes of remove-replace is totally out of hand. It was
>> a straight-up rip-off !!!!!
>>
>> Michael

> Write the GM of the dealership and tell him/her how angry you are and
> that they've lost a customer for life.
>
> Include copies of the repair including the cost. Tell the GM that the
> job was a complete rip-off considering what was done.
>
> Also tell him/her that if it took that long to diagnose the problem,
> they've got morons working as techs there and you won't be returning
> simply because of that.
>
> Finally, tell them that you're going to complain to corporate about the
> entire thing, and you'll be using the GM's name.
>
> If you don't get a reply, you at least have the small satisfaction of
> informing corporate that they've got some rip-off artists at work.
>
> If you get a reply, perhaps they'll try to make amends or at least
> offer you some kind of compensation. Might be worth a shot.
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

No question. I'm going to start by calling the service manager and question
the labor charge. I got my first new Mustang from this dealer back in 1990.
It was an LX 5.0. I traded in to them in 2000 and got a new GT. So far
that makes two cars and plenty of maintenance tickets I have given to them
for the past fifteen years. My thanks from them is to get ripped-off in the
extream.

Michael

Old October 5th 05, 03:55 AM
Richard

I'm just wondering if the person who inputted the cost missed the decimal
place. Sounds like the labor should be $56.70. If that's not the case
consider a small claims action. I did that a number of years ago when a GM
dealer who IMO spent excessive time and did unnecessary work. They probably
won't spend the dollars to have a lawyer in court (you will get a default
judgment) but be prepared to argue your case just in case. When you pay
premium rates you expect premium service, period. No ifs, ands or buts.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old October 5th 05, 03:10 PM
Michael J. Delaglio

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "Michael J. Delaglio" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "John C." > wrote in message

>>> Ouch! It must have taken 7 hours and 50 minutes to troubleshoot.
>>> That place
>>> must have some real cracker-jack techs.
>>> --
>>> John C.
>>> '03 Cobra Convt.
>>>

>> "Cracker-jack techs".... LOL Good one !!! The part that was
>> replaced is directly responsible for the idle control. I took the
>> car in for an idle problem. It sould be the first thing that they
>> check or at least one of the first things. I'm always the first to
>> give a tech the benifit of the doubt because I used to fix cars
>> myself at a VW place during my first two years of college way back in
>> 1986-1988. Lots of air-cooled bugs and the like. I always remember
>> how just about every customer wanted to know why the repairs would
>> cost so much. They all wanted to pay twenty bucks to have a clutch
>> job done.
>>
>> In my case here, $ 567.00 labor to diagnose an obvious problem and
>> then do ten minutes of remove-replace is totally out of hand. It was
>> a straight-up rip-off !!!!!
>>
>> Michael

> Write the GM of the dealership and tell him/her how angry you are and
> that they've lost a customer for life.
>
> Include copies of the repair including the cost. Tell the GM that the
> job was a complete rip-off considering what was done.
>
> Also tell him/her that if it took that long to diagnose the problem,
> they've got morons working as techs there and you won't be returning
> simply because of that.
>
> Finally, tell them that you're going to complain to corporate about the
> entire thing, and you'll be using the GM's name.
>
> If you don't get a reply, you at least have the small satisfaction of
> informing corporate that they've got some rip-off artists at work.
>
> If you get a reply, perhaps they'll try to make amends or at least
> offer you some kind of compensation. Might be worth a shot.
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

I called the service manager this morning and went over everything with him.
I stressed that the problem was obvious to find and that it should take no
longer then twenty minutes to remove-replace the idel control
valve/connector. I then asked him how they came up with $ 567.00 in labor.
I told him that sounds more like a labor charge to replace an entire air
intake manifold and not an idle control valve/connector. I was expecting
him to give me an argument. He reviewed what he had on the ticket and said
"holey smokes... that dosent look right to me either." He then invited me
back to the dealer during my lunch hour later today to get a credit on my
Amex for two hours of labor. That will bring the labor charge down to just
below $340.00 . He's calling it one full hour of diagnostic time, one full
hour of repair time... and then... one additional hour taken when they
realized there was also a bad vacum hose causing a problem after they had
installed the air valve. I was aware that they had to put on a new vacuum
hose, but I was not told before that it was a diagnostic issue. I thought
they picked the bad vacuum hose out during the replace of the air valve.
They didnt even give a parts charge for the vacuum hose. They writer just
mentioned it when I picked the car up. The official report that I'm getting
from the service manager now states that they had to spend time to discover
the bad vacuum line AFTER they had installed the air valve and connector.
He states that they actually got an additional code due to the bad vacuum
hose once the air valve and connector were installed. So, they have me on
three hours of labor that I can't dispute.

So... They are going to credit me with two hours of labor. Better then
nothing, but I think the bit he gave me about the vacuum line is
questionable. I also think that they didn't make any mistake about the
labor charge they gave me at first. They just decided to take me to the
cleaners. Makes me wonder how many people are getting jacked at car
dealers. To be honest though, I've been going to this dealer for the past
fifteen years without any problems. This is the first time I got snaked.

Michael

Old October 5th 05, 04:41 PM
Joe

"Michael J. Delaglio" > wrote in
:

> [...]

> picked the car up. The official report that I'm getting from the
> service manager now states that they had to spend time to discover
> the bad vacuum line AFTER they had installed the air valve and
> connector. He states that they actually got an additional code due to
> the bad vacuum hose once the air valve and connector were installed.
> So, they have me on three hours of labor that I can't dispute.
>
> So... They are going to credit me with two hours of labor. Better
> then nothing, but I think the bit he gave me about the vacuum line is
> questionable. I also think that they didn't make any mistake about
> the labor charge they gave me at first. They just decided to take me
> to the cleaners. Makes me wonder how many people are getting jacked
> at car dealers. To be honest though, I've been going to this dealer
> for the past fifteen years without any problems. This is the first

Interesting. I'd still talk to the service manager and/or general
manager and tell them your thoughts - that you've had generally good
experiences for years and now all of a sudden this.

If you've been going there for 15 years, you've got to know somebody
there. Talk to them and see what's up.

If not, then I'd tell the SM and GM that if this treatment is an
indication of how service works from now on, you'll be shopping elsewhere
for service. Their reaction to that statement will tell you if they're
interested in retaining your business. If they're not, then tell them
you'll be relating all this to Ford corporate and they can go screw off.

Old October 7th 05, 01:30 AM
Michael

This is exactly why you don't go to a dealer once the warranty has expired.
Spend some time finding a trustworthy mechanic. Years ago I had my Ford
dealer tell me they had no way to drain the rear diff fluid from my Bronco.
I got a $10 drill mounted pump and a length of rubber hose and did it myself
in 30 minutes. Dealers are not to be trusted.

mike

Old October 5th 05, 12:05 AM
Me

Most likely, the tech spent a ton of time chasing the wrong thing and they
made you pay for it. I would first find out what that job should have cost
with another dealership. Then have a talk with the service manager. If the
prices are that far out of line, you might have to go up the chain of
command to the general manager or even the owner to get a compromise. Did it
set a code?