rubbing noise while driving

Old October 20th 05, 10:27 AM
stillwater

Default rubbing noise while driving

I hope someone can give me some suggestions here. I own a 1994 Mazda
protoge 1.8 litre. It runs great with the exception that I can hear a
definite 'rubbing' sound when driving [consistant with the rotation of the
tires] I have taken it to a service centre and they cannot explain what is
causing this condition. Any ideas please? I recently had new brakes,
struts, new tires and shocks installed.

Old October 20th 05, 10:52 AM
pws

stillwater wrote:
> I hope someone can give me some suggestions here. I own a 1994 Mazda
> protoge 1.8 litre. It runs great with the exception that I can hear a
> definite 'rubbing' sound when driving [consistant with the rotation of the
> tires] I have taken it to a service centre and they cannot explain what is
> causing this condition. Any ideas please? I recently had new brakes,
> struts, new tires and shocks installed.

A few questions that might help id your car problem.

Is the car exhibiting any bad symptoms at all while accelerating,
cornering or braking?

Are the wheels and tires the same size as the ones that were on the car
before the noise started? Also, are the tires a different kind than the
ones that you replaced?

Did the rubbing sound start immediately after any of the work that was
recently done?

Is the "rubbing" something that you can feel as a vibration of some sort
or is it purely audible?

The reason that I ask is that switching from a quiet tire to a noisy
tire could possibly be misinterpreted as a rubbing noise. If the tire is
making contact with any part of the suspension, or if anything is
defective, like dragging brakes, bad CV Joints, a worn wheel bearing,
etc., then a competent repair shop should be able to diagnose it without
any problem.

Pat
Old October 20th 05, 07:04 PM
Kevin Anderson

driveshaft touching exhaust?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 21st 05, 04:41 AM
oh no

Shortly thereafter, do you hear cries of ecstasy emanating from the rear seat?

Old October 23rd 05, 03:19 PM
Mal Osborne

Tyres seperating between layers? I had a case where tyres had internal
seperation between the steel belts and layer of rubber directly above. It
made a kinda odd squeaking noise. Try listening to each tyre as you get
someone to roll the car down an incline. In my case this made the source
obvious.

Old October 29th 05, 08:31 PM
KWS

If it's coming from, say the rear, try rotating the tire to the front. Or
vice versa. See if the noise follows the tire.

Ken