Top molding filling up with water :(

Old October 10th 05, 04:14 PM
Scott Streeter

Default Top molding filling up with water :(

Weird problem. Passenger side. On the top above each side window
there's the rubber molding that the side window seals agains. That
moulding is 2 halfs where the bend for the top is. The front 1/2
closest to the windshield got damaged and I replaced it with a new one
I bought from the dealer. Well it started to leak and I thought at
first the water was coming in from the window not sealing correctly
but that's not the case. The molding itself is filling up with water!
They are hollow and the water is geting inside it. When I drive the
motion of the car drives all the water out all over my passenger
seat. I've looked at the placement of the molding several times,
compared it to the drivers side. Had a friend look at it (to get
another set of eyes on it) and it looks like it's installed
correctly. It's really a simple piece so I can't understand what's
wrong. Anyone see this issue before or have any ideas?? Thanks.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old October 10th 05, 07:49 PM
Angelo Campanella

Scott Streeter wrote:

> Weird problem. Passenger side. On the top above each side window
> there's the rubber molding that the side window seals agains. That
> moulding is 2 halfs where the bend for the top is. The front 1/2
> closest to the windshield got damaged and I replaced it with a new one
> I bought from the dealer. Well it started to leak and I thought at
> first the water was coming in from the window not sealing correctly
> but that's not the case. The molding itself is filling up with water!
> They are hollow and the water is geting inside it. When I drive the
> motion of the car drives all the water out all over my passenger
> seat. I've looked at the placement of the molding several times,
> compared it to the drivers side. Had a friend look at it (to get
> another set of eyes on it) and it looks like it's installed
> correctly. It's really a simple piece so I can't understand what's
> wrong. Anyone see this issue before or have any ideas?? Thanks.

You need to be extremely observant. In my P5, the rear left door was
removed, repaired and replaced after a ding. The new gasket "almost" set
correctly, so I heard road noise. I found that the attachments are a
series of burred plastic fasteners, and that the rubber gasket was not
only hollow, but had tiny holes every few inches. I eventually got it
right and the car is now quieter, but it was not easy.

Look at every gasket fastener, gasket fit, turn and clearance. all
clearances are to be closed when the door is shut, but there must be a
drain route for water that makes it to that gasket.

If the gasket is filling with water, such holes as I mentioned are a
possible entry point. Or it may be that other lower holes are meant to
be drains ("weep holes") and are not open. Examine one or more other
vehicle(s) of the identical make and model. Look carefully at all such
details as I described. Only when the last detail is satisfied will you
be completely dry.

Angelo Campanella

Old October 10th 05, 09:36 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Scott Streeter > wrote:

> Well it started to leak and I thought at
> first the water was coming in from the window not sealing correctly
> but that's not the case.

Correct. It's probably because the drain in the windshield frame is
clogged. Find the hole in the funny-looking rubber molding at the top
corner of the A pillar. Water should drain down that hole and run onto
the ground under the car. If it doesn't, run a flexible wire down the
hole--carefully!--until it's clear.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old October 11th 05, 03:27 PM
Scott Streeter

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions.. Once it stops raining
around here. :P

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old October 29th 05, 02:55 PM
MEP

Scott Streeter wrote:
> Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions.. Once it stops raining
> around here. :P

DO NOT WAIT. More rain is more water in the car.

You (we all) need to drain the holes from time to time. Also the small
holes under the door.

134a Refrigerant Rich Hampel Jeep 1090 August 23rd 05 06:43 AM
84 Scirocco is filling with rain water mclayson VW water cooled 5 April 11th 05 02:33 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 5 March 21st 05 05:33 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 18th 04 05:15 AM