recycling used oil

Old January 30th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default recycling used oil

went to the used oil collection center today and offloaded my used oil
into the tank. it had a sticker on it [partially peeled off so i
couldn't read it all] with the words "property of valvoline..." on it.
now, either valvoline has a side business selling/renting oil collection
tanks, /or/ they have an interest in used oil!

synthetic? just a thought.
Old January 30th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

No - synthetic is a totally different critter. Some places charge for
taking used oil. I always find a local business place that burns it -
usually a local garage - they are always happy to take 15 gallons of
used motor oil - no radiator coolant, paint or gasoline though. With
gas prices going through the roof - more people may start burning used
oil.

Old January 31st 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> went to the used oil collection center today and offloaded my used oil
> into the tank. it had a sticker on it [partially peeled off so i
> couldn't read it all] with the words "property of valvoline..." on it.
> now, either valvoline has a side business selling/renting oil collection
> tanks, /or/ they have an interest in used oil!
>
> synthetic? just a thought.

I have found that getting rid of used oil is becoming more of a problem. If
you bought the oil from the autoparts store and have receipts, then they
will take it. I suspect many people just throw it in the trash still. I
find it easier to just have my dealer change the oil on our cars.

Old January 31st 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

butch burton wrote:
> No - synthetic is a totally different critter.

not necessarily. depends on which kind of "synthetic" you're referring to.

> Some places charge for
> taking used oil. I always find a local business place that burns it

sheesh, that's really not a healthy thing for anyone downstream of the burn.

> -
> usually a local garage - they are always happy to take 15 gallons of
> used motor oil - no radiator coolant, paint or gasoline though. With
> gas prices going through the roof - more people may start burning used
> oil.

that is /NOT/ a sensible thing. bearings contain lead. i'd not care to
fill my garage with lead vapors. but then again, this is what the
darwin awards are all about, so hey, go ahead - cleanse the gene pool!
Old January 31st 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

TWW wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> t...
>
>>went to the used oil collection center today and offloaded my used oil
>>into the tank. it had a sticker on it [partially peeled off so i
>>couldn't read it all] with the words "property of valvoline..." on it.
>>now, either valvoline has a side business selling/renting oil collection
>>tanks, /or/ they have an interest in used oil!
>>
>>synthetic? just a thought.

> I have found that getting rid of used oil is becoming more of a problem. If
> you bought the oil from the autoparts store and have receipts, then they
> will take it. I suspect many people just throw it in the trash still. I
> find it easier to just have my dealer change the oil on our cars.

i'm in california - oil collection centers have to do it for free -
helps reduce dumping and subsequent pollution.
Old February 1st 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> TWW wrote:
> > "jim beam" > wrote in message
> > t...
> >
> >>went to the used oil collection center today and offloaded my used oil
> >>into the tank. it had a sticker on it [partially peeled off so i
> >>couldn't read it all] with the words "property of valvoline..." on it.
> >>now, either valvoline has a side business selling/renting oil collection
> >>tanks, /or/ they have an interest in used oil!
> >>
> >>synthetic? just a thought.

> > I have found that getting rid of used oil is becoming more of a problem.

If
> > you bought the oil from the autoparts store and have receipts, then they
> > will take it. I suspect many people just throw it in the trash still. I
> > find it easier to just have my dealer change the oil on our cars.
> >

> i'm in california - oil collection centers have to do it for free -
> helps reduce dumping and subsequent pollution.

Makes too much sense for our local governments in GA

Old February 2nd 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Same here in Texas. Anyplace that sells X amount of oil is required by law
to accept used oil for recycle no matter where it was originally purchased.
So that includes Wal-Mart, all the auto parts stores, quick change places,
etc., but not the convenience stores.

The law doesn't include the oil filters though, which was an oversight in my
opinion. It ends up in the trash mostly.

Every once in while a good law comes along.

Sid