Does this "damage" sound reasonable?

Old December 25th 13, 09:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Default Does this "damage" sound reasonable?

"R. Mark Clayton" > wrote in message

> "dizzy" > wrote in message
>> "R. Mark Clayton" > wrote:
>>
>>>The main electronics in the bumper is the park distance control (also
>>>undamaged in my case, but very vulnerable in an impact), but replacing
>>>this
>>>could easily double the cost above.
>>>
>>>So IME the cost sounds reasonable.

>> Am I the only person thinking that's a stupid design, to make the
>> bumper so fragile and expensive to repair?

> The bumpers aren't fragile - the mountings are designed to deform and
> absorb the energy of an impact.
>
> It is a lot cheaper to replace the bumper mounting than to beat out a bent
> boot etc.

The idea is that the bumper actually absorbs the forces of an impact instead
of transmit those forces into the passenger compartment, where the occupants
then absorb the forces.

Nobody cares about the cost of sheet metal and plastic, they care about the
occupants.

Old December 27th 13, 02:46 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy[_2_]

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote:

>The idea is that the bumper actually absorbs the forces of an impact instead
>of transmit those forces into the passenger compartment, where the occupants
>then absorb the forces.

There's several feet of crush-space to absorb energy in a crash. The
bumper was put there to protect the car, as far as I know.

Although I'm sure it's all part of the safety system, these days.

Along with the 10 airbags that also cost more than they are worth.