Uneven tyre wear on F10 5 Series

Old June 22nd 13, 11:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob[_59_]

Default Uneven tyre wear on F10 5 Series

After 2 years I go to get new tyres on the back because the inside of the
tyre is down to the limit, the fronts are also wearing on the outside edge,
so ask them to do a full tracking test. They have all the latest laser
stuff. The test has shown that one wheel is outside BMW specification for
camber and most of the other things on all corners are also way out of
perfect. The engineer said he couldn't adjust it and I'd have to go back to
my dealer to get the camber problem and other things fixed.
What is going on, do BMW not set their cars up before leaving the factory or
are they not strong enough for our potholed roads??

regards
Bob.

Old June 23rd 13, 12:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Bob" > wrote in message
> After 2 years I go to get new tyres on the back because the inside of the
> tyre is down to the limit,

Under inflation?

> the fronts are also wearing on the outside edge,

This is more normal, especially if you do a lot of cornering (in the UK
roundabouts).

If the tyres are the same front and rear then rotate them (as probably
recommneded in the handbook)

If not and the the tyres are not uni-directional then reverse them on the
rim when about 40% worn.

and er don't drive so hard!

Old June 23rd 13, 12:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob[_59_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote ...

"Bob" wrote in message

> After 2 years I go to get new tyres on the back because the inside of the
> tyre is down to the limit,

Under inflation?

> the fronts are also wearing on the outside edge,

This is more normal, especially if you do a lot of cornering (in the UK
roundabouts).

If the tyres are the same front and rear then rotate them (as probably
recommneded in the handbook)

If not and the the tyres are not uni-directional then reverse them on the
rim when about 40% worn.

and er don't drive so hard!

> so ask them to do a full tracking test. They have all the latest laser
> stuff. The test has shown that one wheel is outside BMW specification for
> camber and most of the other things on all corners are also way out of
> perfect. The engineer said he couldn't adjust it and I'd have to go back
> to my dealer to get the camber problem and other things fixed.
> What is going on, do BMW not set their cars up before leaving the factory
> or are they not strong enough for our potholed roads??

Interesting comment, so from that I assume if you drive an F10 520d hard
(how?) you will put all the suspension geometry out in some cases by more
than BMW tollerance allows.
No, this is not about tyres or driving because I've had BMW's for decades
and never had a problem like this. After I had my last, a 330i, set up by
the same garage it always had perfect flat tyre wear and I've never had to
rotate tyres on any of them.
--
Regards
Bob

Old June 23rd 13, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Bob" > wrote in message

> "R. Mark Clayton" wrote ...
>

> "Bob" wrote in message
>
>> After 2 years I go to get new tyres on the back because the inside of the
>> tyre is down to the limit,

> Under inflation?

Heavy rear loading?

>> the fronts are also wearing on the outside edge,

> This is more normal, especially if you do a lot of cornering (in the UK
> roundabouts).
>
> If the tyres are the same front and rear then rotate them (as probably
> recommneded in the handbook)
>
> If not and the the tyres are not uni-directional then reverse them on the
> rim when about 40% worn.
>
> and er don't drive so hard!
>
>> so ask them to do a full tracking test. They have all the latest laser
>> stuff. The test has shown that one wheel is outside BMW specification for
>> camber and most of the other things on all corners are also way out of
>> perfect. The engineer said he couldn't adjust it and I'd have to go back
>> to my dealer to get the camber problem and other things fixed.
>> What is going on, do BMW not set their cars up before leaving the factory
>> or are they not strong enough for our potholed roads??
>>

> Interesting comment, so from that I assume if you drive an F10 520d hard
> (how?) you will put all the suspension geometry out in some cases by more
> than BMW tollerance allows.

Don't know why the rears are wearing on the inside. If you do a lot of high
speed work they tend to wear in the middle.

The front's wearing on the outside is normal, because when you corner more
force is exerted on the outside edge, so it wears faster.

Swapping tyres around the car is usually recommended as a service action.

Old June 23rd 13, 06:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob[_59_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

>Don't know why the rears are wearing on the inside. If you do a lot of
>high speed work they tend to wear in the middle.
>
>The front's wearing on the outside is normal, because when you corner more
>force is exerted on the outside edge, so it wears faster.
>
>Swapping tyres around the car is usually recommended as a service action.

Lets forget about the uneven tyre wear for a moment, why would virtually all
my suspension geometry be out so much to BMW's own standard such that one
wheel is even outside BMW's own tolerance for camber by quite a bit and will
need to go into the BMW garage for work, probably a different suspension arm
(there are two lengths, +30 and -30). This is in two years and 24,000 miles
of mainly driving two up without luggage or anything heavy in the vehicle.
Suspension geometry out of true will cause tyre wear problems and my
suspension is out of true in so many ways. The question is why and maybe how
many others have a similar problem?

Camber and Toe on both rear wheels is out
Camber on the front left is out by some way
Camber on the front right is OK
Toe on both front wheels is out

--
Regards.
Bob

Old June 23rd 13, 08:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Bob" > wrote in message
> "R. Mark Clayton" wrote
>>

>>Don't know why the rears are wearing on the inside. If you do a lot of
>>high speed work they tend to wear in the middle.
>>
>>The front's wearing on the outside is normal, because when you corner more
>>force is exerted on the outside edge, so it wears faster.
>>
>>Swapping tyres around the car is usually recommended as a service action.
>>

> Lets forget about the uneven tyre wear for a moment, why would virtually
> all my suspension geometry be out so much to BMW's own standard such that
> one wheel is even outside BMW's own tolerance for camber by quite a bit
> and will need to go into the BMW garage for work, probably a different
> suspension arm (there are two lengths, +30 and -30). This is in two years
> and 24,000 miles of mainly driving two up without luggage or anything
> heavy in the vehicle.
> Suspension geometry out of true will cause tyre wear problems and my
> suspension is out of true in so many ways. The question is why and maybe
> how many others have a similar problem?
>
> Camber and Toe on both rear wheels is out
> Camber on the front left is out by some way
> Camber on the front right is OK
> Toe on both front wheels is out

I slightly misread the original post.

The main possibilties for being out are : -

Not set up right in the first place (seems likely it was a while ago because
the tyres have worn unevenly).
or
You drive over speed bumps way too fast.

Old June 24th 13, 08:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob[_59_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

>I slightly misread the original post.
>
>The main possibilties for being out are : -
>
>Not set up right in the first place (seems likely it was a while ago
>because the tyres have worn unevenly).
>or
>You drive over speed bumps way too fast.

I certainly do not drive over speed bumps too fast, I've always considered
myself to be mechanically sympathetic besides that I have a damaged spine so
it would cause physical pain if I did.
So, you are left with the same conclusion I had reached and my tyre shop
technician had reached, that my car has been "out" since it left the
factory. That beggars the question, has there been a manufacturing problem
and how many others have the same problem, perhaps they fitted the wrong
length camber adjustment arm originally.
The tyre shop say mine is not the only case they have seen like this with
this 5 series.

I'll just have to get BMW to do a suspension test again (half price rate of
£150) and then correct the problem at my expense ! but I will then go to my
highly trusted tyre shop and pay for their technician to check it all again.
(£60) Seeing as I've just saved £122 on two tyres It';s not as bad as it
seems.
--
Regards.
Bob

Old June 24th 13, 03:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Bob > wrote:
>Lets forget about the uneven tyre wear for a moment, why would virtually all
>my suspension geometry be out so much to BMW's own standard such that one
>wheel is even outside BMW's own tolerance for camber by quite a bit and will
>need to go into the BMW garage for work, probably a different suspension arm
>(there are two lengths, +30 and -30). This is in two years and 24,000 miles
>of mainly driving two up without luggage or anything heavy in the vehicle.
>Suspension geometry out of true will cause tyre wear problems and my
>suspension is out of true in so many ways. The question is why and maybe how
>many others have a similar problem?

Because the kid at the tire store doesn't really understand anything about
the suspension geometry, he only knows to put it up on the machine with the
arrows in the right place and read what the machine tells him to do.

Maybe one of the arrows wasn't in the right place. Maybe you have some
worn suspension component somewhere that he didn't catch because he doesn't
really know how to check everything before putting it on the machine. One
worn control arm bushing will screw all kinds of stuff up.

Take it to a BMW shop, or take it to a place that specializes in alignments.
I have seen more cars screwed up by kids at tire shops than you would believe.
You need someone who actually understands suspension geometry to look at it.
There may be nothing wrong at all.
--scott
Old June 24th 13, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob[_59_]

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...

>Bob > wrote:
>>Lets forget about the uneven tyre wear for a moment, why would virtually
>>all
>>my suspension geometry be out so much to BMW's own standard such that one
>>wheel is even outside BMW's own tolerance for camber by quite a bit and
>>will
>>need to go into the BMW garage for work, probably a different suspension
>>arm
>>(there are two lengths, +30 and -30). This is in two years and 24,000
>>miles
>>of mainly driving two up without luggage or anything heavy in the vehicle.
>>Suspension geometry out of true will cause tyre wear problems and my
>>suspension is out of true in so many ways. The question is why and maybe
>>how
>>many others have a similar problem?

>Because the kid at the tire store doesn't really understand anything about
>the suspension geometry, he only knows to put it up on the machine with the
>arrows in the right place and read what the machine tells him to do.
>
>Maybe one of the arrows wasn't in the right place. Maybe you have some
>worn suspension component somewhere that he didn't catch because he doesn't
>really know how to check everything before putting it on the machine. One
>worn control arm bushing will screw all kinds of stuff up.
>
>Take it to a BMW shop, or take it to a place that specializes in
>alignments.
>I have seen more cars screwed up by kids at tire shops than you would
>believe.
>You need someone who actually understands suspension geometry to look at
>it.
>There may be nothing wrong at all.

I actually trust the tyre shop technician (who is probably about 35 as are
most that work there) more than the BMW shop, he deals with very fast cars,
i've seen Ferraris and Porsches in there, as well as the mundane like my 5
series. This is probably the premier tyre shop/depot in the UK and I doubt
that BMW have equipment any better.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old June 24th 13, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Bob > wrote:

>I actually trust the tyre shop technician (who is probably about 35 as are
>most that work there) more than the BMW shop, he deals with very fast cars,
>i've seen Ferraris and Porsches in there, as well as the mundane like my 5
>series. This is probably the premier tyre shop/depot in the UK and I doubt
>that BMW have equipment any better.

Well, then ask him to explain what he thinks is wrong.
--scott

MT/R - uneven wear Nathan W. Collier[_4_] Jeep 3 March 21st 08 03:03 PM
'00 GJC uneven break wear DorkyGrin Jeep 17 January 9th 07 03:39 AM
uneven tire wear Tonyrama Mazda 3 October 7th 06 03:22 PM
Uneven Rear tire Wear - 89 Dodge Caravan Dodge 1 August 22nd 06 07:36 PM
Audi A6 (2000) 17" wheels - uneven tire wear Anit Patel Audi 9 November 7th 04 07:19 PM