GM to Build First All-Electric Car Since EV1

Old October 24th 11, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default GM to Build First All-Electric Car Since EV1

Saw this in 'Design News', an electronics trade publication

General Motors has resumed its commitment to electric cars, officially
announcing that it will produce and sell a new vehicle called the Spark EV
in 2013.

Without a trace of the fanfare that accompanied the announcement of the
Chevy Volt in 2007, GM said its new car will be sold in limited quantities
in select US and global markets, and will be powered by a lithium-ion
battery pack from A123 Systems. The Spark EV will be the first all-electric
vehicle built by GM since it scrapped its infamous EV1 program a decade ago.
more information:
http://www.designnews.com/author.asp...&doc_id=234687

Old October 24th 11, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Orval Fairbairn

In article >,
"Oppie" > wrote:

> Saw this in 'Design News', an electronics trade publication
>
> General Motors has resumed its commitment to electric cars, officially
> announcing that it will produce and sell a new vehicle called the Spark EV
> in 2013.
>
> Without a trace of the fanfare that accompanied the announcement of the
> Chevy Volt in 2007, GM said its new car will be sold in limited quantities
> in select US and global markets, and will be powered by a lithium-ion
> battery pack from A123 Systems. The Spark EV will be the first all-electric
> vehicle built by GM since it scrapped its infamous EV1 program a decade ago.
> more information:
> http://www.designnews.com/author.asp...&doc_id=234687

Just what we nee -- another electric paperweight!
Old October 27th 11, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
news

> Just what we nee -- another electric paperweight!

Did you read some of the comments? This was my favorite:

There is a very very simple test you can perform on any vehicle to find out
if EV is for you and matches your lifestyle.

Disconnect the OEM fuel pump and cut the fuel line somewhere where it is
convenient to get to, then since most cars today are Fuel Injected with high
pressure fuel pump, get aftermarket pump that can deliver about 100 PSI, and
hook it up to one gallon gas tank.

Fill the tank up to only 3/4 (3 quarts) which is about all the useable
energy you will get in any reasonable priced battery pack (no matter what
the chemistry).

Then get yourself a 5 gallon gasoline can and keep that one in your garage.

NEVER EVER buy any gasoline at a service station and put it into your car
(that will simulate the lack of public charging stations) that is unless it
is located NEXT to "charge point".

Wait 6 to 8 hours any time you add fuel to you vehicle.

And refuel it each morning before you take off.

IF YOU NEVER run out of fuel, IF you NEVER have to be towed back to your
garage to "refuel" and if you can wait 6 to 8 hours each time you fill up,
then and ONLY then will EV fit your lifestyle PERFECTLY !!!

This experiment will cost you at most $1,000 (or under $200 if you use low
cost or used parts).

The depreciation on any EV once you buy it will be at least 5 times that.

And you can experiment as much as you wish - keep in mind that the energy
that can be stored in about $4,000 worth of batteries (that have a limited
life) is about how far will 3 US Quarts of fuel get you, in the exactly same
vehicle.

And also do not forget to stop using the Heater or A/C, if you do then
refill with just TWO Quarts rather than 3 and see if that works for you or
not.

And as for the NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) the best I know of (and
also own) is OKA NEV ZEV roadworthy for $8,250

www.okaauto.com

Great for a in major city driving, and I find that I never drive more than
16 miles between charges (Burbank, California), but of course for any
greater distance I drive conventional ICE car (have 5 to choose from).

EV business is tough, the NEV even tougher, ZENN, Wheego, Miles, ZAP, Mayer
Motor, and GEM all found it to be a charity business with no possibility to
ever turn profit. And that is at prices as high as $32,000 for a car that
at best is worth less than $10,000 and has features of cars that were made
30 years ago (and similar non existent safety features).

Old October 27th 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Orval Fairbairn

In article >,
"Oppie" > wrote:

> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > Just what we nee -- another electric paperweight!

> Did you read some of the comments? This was my favorite:
>

> There is a very very simple test you can perform on any vehicle to find out
> if EV is for you and matches your lifestyle.
>
> Disconnect the OEM fuel pump and cut the fuel line somewhere where it is
> convenient to get to, then since most cars today are Fuel Injected with high
> pressure fuel pump, get aftermarket pump that can deliver about 100 PSI, and
> hook it up to one gallon gas tank.
>
> Fill the tank up to only 3/4 (3 quarts) which is about all the useable
> energy you will get in any reasonable priced battery pack (no matter what
> the chemistry).
>
> Then get yourself a 5 gallon gasoline can and keep that one in your garage.
>
> NEVER EVER buy any gasoline at a service station and put it into your car
> (that will simulate the lack of public charging stations) that is unless it
> is located NEXT to "charge point".
>
> Wait 6 to 8 hours any time you add fuel to you vehicle.
>
> And refuel it each morning before you take off.
>
> IF YOU NEVER run out of fuel, IF you NEVER have to be towed back to your
> garage to "refuel" and if you can wait 6 to 8 hours each time you fill up,
> then and ONLY then will EV fit your lifestyle PERFECTLY !!!
>
> This experiment will cost you at most $1,000 (or under $200 if you use low
> cost or used parts).
>
> The depreciation on any EV once you buy it will be at least 5 times that.
>
> And you can experiment as much as you wish - keep in mind that the energy
> that can be stored in about $4,000 worth of batteries (that have a limited
> life) is about how far will 3 US Quarts of fuel get you, in the exactly same
> vehicle.
>
> And also do not forget to stop using the Heater or A/C, if you do then
> refill with just TWO Quarts rather than 3 and see if that works for you or
> not.
>
> And as for the NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) the best I know of (and
> also own) is OKA NEV ZEV roadworthy for $8,250
>
> www.okaauto.com
>
> Great for a in major city driving, and I find that I never drive more than
> 16 miles between charges (Burbank, California), but of course for any
> greater distance I drive conventional ICE car (have 5 to choose from).
>

> EV business is tough, the NEV even tougher, ZENN, Wheego, Miles, ZAP, Mayer
> Motor, and GEM all found it to be a charity business with no possibility to
> ever turn profit. And that is at prices as high as $32,000 for a car that
> at best is worth less than $10,000 and has features of cars that were made
> 30 years ago (and similar non existent safety features).

..... We're back to the electric paperweight!
Old October 29th 11, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
news

> .... We're back to the electric paperweight!

Agreed. I wouldn't have a vehicle that didn't have some longer range
options. Chevy Volt at least has a generator. Prius' gearbox can connect
the gas engine directly to the power flow - any excess power and braking
charges the batteries by using the electric motor as a generator.

I drive about 50 miles a day. Pure electric won't work for me.