1998 SW2 Clutch failure

Old October 4th 11, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Poptart

Default 1998 SW2 Clutch failure

Hey folks,

Anyone have any experience with a clutch failure on a Gen 2 S
series?

Mine has finally started to go and I'm going to have it done.
Pricey job, but it's out of my league to try it myself.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how fast they go
completely once you start to notice slipping. I'm only slips under
full power right now, but I expext it will worsen fast.

Old October 5th 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"Poptart" > wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> Anyone have any experience with a clutch failure on a Gen 2 S
> series?
>
> Mine has finally started to go and I'm going to have it done.
> Pricey job, but it's out of my league to try it myself.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how fast they go
> completely once you start to notice slipping. I'm only slips under
> full power right now, but I expext it will worsen fast.

How many miles on the clutch?
Main type of driving? (city? or highway?)
Skill level of drivers? (foot on the floor or riding the pedal? or using
clutch as a brake by downshifting then slow re-engagement with idling
engine)
Age of drivers? ('spirited' driving style with rapid starts and high rpm
downshifts?)
Is the engine rear main seal or transmission front seal leaking?

IMHO the easy and cheap stuff should be checked first.
Is the linkage allowing full engagement (pedal force release) or is it
running out of travel and needs adjustment? or repair?
Is the linkage allowing full dis-engagement and shifting trans into 1st gear
(or reverse) from neutral when car is stopped and engine running, or is it
running out of travel and needs to first turn off engine or select 2nd gear
to prevent grinding into first (or reverse)?

IMHE, the S series clutch is very solid and long wearing, I have one car
with 380K km and another with 275K km that survived three women learning to
drive and both are still going strong with no problems, (touch wood)

Good luck, YMMV