Some states want to punish fuel-efficient car drivers!

Old January 10th 09, 02:16 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
sharx35

Default Some states want to punish fuel-efficient car drivers!

Typical ****ing LIEbrawl DEMONrats--their KIDS rule the house.

Old January 10th 09, 04:29 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
Mike Hunter[_2_]

The question you should be asking is why are they not taxing mass transit
users, to help pay for the resources (road repair and building) that they
use, instead of take money from those that are currently paying for the

"Jeff" > wrote in message
On Jan 8, 12:16 am, Tim Howard > wrote:
> [...]
> require drivers to report their mileage when they register vehicles.
>
> In North Carolina last month, a panel suggested charging motorists a
> quarter-cent for every mile as a substitute for the gas tax.
>
> James Whitty, the Oregon Department of Transportation employee in charge
> of the state's effort, said he's also heard talk of mileage tax
> proposals in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Colorado and Minnesota.
>
> "There is kind of a coalition that's naturally forming around this," he
> said.
>
> Also fueling the search for alternatives is the political difficulty of
> raising gasoline taxes.
>
> The federal gas tax has not been raised since 1993, and nearly two dozen
> states have not changed their taxes since 1997, according to the
> American Road & Transportation Builders Association.
>
> In Oregon's pilot program, officials equipped 300 vehicles with GPS
> transponders that worked wirelessly with service station pumps, allowing
> drivers to pay their mileage tax just as they do their gas tax.
>
> Whitty said the test, which involved two gas stations in the Portland
> area, proved the idea could work.
>
> Though the GPS devices did not track the cars' locations in great
> detail, they could determine when a driver had left certain zones, such
> as the state of Oregon. They also kept track of the time the driving was
> done, so a premium could be charged for rush-hour mileage.
>
> The proposal envisions a gradual change, with manufacturers installing
> the technology in new vehicles because retrofitting old cars would be
> too expensive. Owners of older vehicles would continue to pay gasoline
> taxes.
>
> The difference in tax based on mileage or on gasoline would be small —
> "pennies per transaction at the pump," Whitty said.
>
> But the mileage tax still faces several major obstacles.
>
> For one, Oregon accounts for only a small part of auto sales, so the
> state can't go it alone. A multistate or national system would be needed.
>
> Another concern is that such devices could threaten privacy. Whitty said
> he and his task force have assured people that the program does not
> track detailed movement and that driving history is not stored and
> cannot be accessed by law enforcement agencies.
>
> "I think most people will come to realize there is really no tracking
> issue and will continue to buy new cars," Whitty said, noting that many
> cell phones now come equipped with GPS, which has not deterred customers.
>
> Others are worried that a mileage tax would undermine years of
> incentives to switch toward more fuel-efficient vehicles.
>
> "It doesn't seem fair," said Paul Niedergang of Portland, that a hybrid
> would be taxed as much as his Dodge pickup. "I just think the gas tax
> needs to be updated."
>
> Lynda Williams, also of Portland, was not immediately sold on the idea
> but said it was worth consideration.
>
> "We all have to be open-minded," she said. "Our current system just

I don't understand the subject line. I don't see fuel efficiency being
taxed. Just people being held to pay for the resources (road repair
and building) that they use.

Jeff

Old January 10th 09, 06:24 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Jeff wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> "I think most people will come to realize there is really no tracking
>> issue and will continue to buy new cars," Whitty said, noting that many
>> cell phones now come equipped with GPS, which has not deterred customers.
>>
>> Others are worried that a mileage tax would undermine years of
>> incentives to switch toward more fuel-efficient vehicles.
>>
>> "It doesn't seem fair," said Paul Niedergang of Portland, that a hybrid
>> would be taxed as much as his Dodge pickup. "I just think the gas tax
>> needs to be updated."
>>
>> Lynda Williams, also of Portland, was not immediately sold on the idea
>> but said it was worth consideration.
>>
>> "We all have to be open-minded," she said. "Our current system just
>> isn't working."

> I don't understand the subject line. I don't see fuel efficiency being
> taxed. Just people being held to pay for the resources (road repair

Fuel efficiency would be discouraged, and also the proposed tax would
necessitate higher tax levels due to the buraucracy and infrastructure
required to implement it, than would a straight increase in gas tax.
The latter would not only continue incentivizing conservation but would
a) be much more economical and b) would likely have the same or less
impact on the average road user.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 10th 09, 06:58 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
CharlesTheCurmudgeon[_2_]

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>> needs to be updated."
>>>
>>> Lynda Williams, also of Portland, was not immediately sold on the idea
>>> but said it was worth consideration.
>>>
>>> "We all have to be open-minded," she said. "Our current system just
>>> isn't working."

>> I don't understand the subject line. I don't see fuel efficiency being
>> taxed. Just people being held to pay for the resources (road repair
>> and building) that they use.
>>
>> Jeff

> Fuel efficiency would be discouraged, and also the proposed tax would
> necessitate higher tax levels due to the buraucracy and infrastructure
> required to implement it, than would a straight increase in gas tax. The
> latter would not only continue incentivizing conservation but would a) be
> much more economical and b) would likely have the same or less impact on

Why doesn't the state learn to budget, like normal people have to do? I
don't support all my cronies, my dad's old cronies, or his party's cronies
and the Outfit besides.

Sir Charles the Curmudgeon

Old January 10th 09, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
[snip 132 lines of untrimmed quotes]
>trim your quotes before posting

Take your own advice...
Old January 10th 09, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jeff[_45_]

On Jan 10, 10:29*am, "Mike Hunter" <mikehunt2@lycos/com> wrote:
> The question you should be asking is why are they not taxing mass transit
> users, to help pay for the resources (road repair and building) that they
> use, instead of take money from those that are currently paying for the
> resources (road repair and building) that they use?

That is a valid question.

In cities where mass transit is actually efficient, like NYC and DC,
what would happen if mass transit stopped?

From experience, when mas transit was greatly slowed down (during the
strike in Dec. 2005), there were major problems getting around NYC. I
was able to get around and get to work only because only the subways
and buses were shut down. Fortunately, some trains (run by the Long
Island Railroad and MetroNorth as well as the trains and buses going
into and out of NYC) were still running.

Without the mass transit, NYC would not be able to function. There are
not enough roads in NYC without it.

So it is appropriate, IMHO, to tax private transportation to support
public transportation so that the system continues to work.

Jeff

Old January 10th 09, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
John David Galt

Sharx35 wrote:
> Commuting for hours is pure bull**** most of the time. Surely, you can
> MOVE closer if the job has any permanence at all. I have NO sympathy for
> those who commute for HOURS year, after year, after year. Live closer to
> where you work, damnit.

Make the urban-planning assholes allow enough homes to be built so I can
live there without having more money than God, and I'll do it.
Old January 10th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
CharlesTheCurmudgeon[_2_]

"John David Galt" > wrote in message
> Sharx35 wrote:
>> Commuting for hours is pure bull**** most of the time. Surely, you can
>> MOVE closer if the job has any permanence at all. I have NO sympathy for
>> those who commute for HOURS year, after year, after year. Live closer to
>> where you work, damnit.

> Make the urban-planning assholes allow enough homes to be built so I can
> live there without having more money than God, and I'll do it.

It's not the urban planning assholes, it's the un-real estate agents.
They've been pumping the bubble with happy gas for over a decade now.
Unfortuntely, in order to keep pumping the bubble, they had to sell to
people that were basically unable to really pay their prices, and finally
the bubble burst. They forgot the law of retail gravity. Eventually what
goes up must come down.

Sir Charles the Curmudgeon

Old January 10th 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
L Alpert[_1_]

"Sharx35" > wrote in message

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
>> In article <brU9l.4084$Db2.3440@edtnps83>,
>> "Sharx35" > wrote:
>>
>>> Fess up, how many of you make
>>> MORE than one driving trip a week
>>> to buy groceries? Clue: one does NOT need fresh lettuce every
>>> frigging
>>> day--it WILL keep for a fair while in the fridge.
>>> I buy gas every TWO weeks, groceries every TWO weeks, except for
>>> milk which
>>> I buy ONCE a week. Library trips are ONCE a week. No need to rent
>>> or buy
>>> DVD's etc..I get them on my WEEKLY library trips..

>> So you don't have any kids in your house. Big whoop. Put a couple
>> growing kids in your house and see how your grocery runs get.
>> Every two
>> weeks? hahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

> Typical ****ing LIEbrawl DEMONrats--their KIDS rule the house.

Yeah. Why would someone want to feed their kids?

Old January 10th 09, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
Arif Khokar

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> The problem for the state is that if the vehicle fleet becomes more
> efficient and the CAFE (for lack of a better illustration) goes from
> 17.5 to 22.5, then there will be fewer taxes collected. (I pulled those
> numbers out of my ass, what the numbers are and what they go to does not
> really matter. All that matters is our cars are getting more efficient,
> so fewer gas taxes are being collected.)

Except that the premise that fewer gas taxes are collected for a given
VMT figure isn't true. The CAFE has remained virtually the same for the
last 25 years.