97 SL Oil Pump Light

Old December 23rd 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
John Doe[_5_]

Default 97 SL Oil Pump Light

Group,

I have a 97 SL, 215K miles. Now that it is cold, the oil pump light takes a
long time to go out. I can tell a difference in the valve tapping sounds
when the light goes out. At idle, it flickers on. I have been using 10W-30
over the summer months. Any ideas?

Old December 23rd 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

You need to determine if the oil pressure light is on for a valid reason or
not. This usually means removing the oil sender and measuring the oil
pressure at that location using a manual oil pressure gauge.

Bob

Old December 23rd 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Fred[_14_]

I use that grade in my 94 Saturn with no problems.
Maybe try 5W30? In my new Ford they
specify 5W20.
Fred

Old December 24th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Dec 23, 3:30*pm, "John Doe" > wrote:
> Group,
>
> I have a 97 SL, 215K miles. *Now that it is cold, the oil pump light takes a
> long time to go out. *I can tell a difference in the valve tapping sounds
> when the light goes out. *At idle, it flickers on. *I have been using 10W-30
> over the summer months. *Any ideas?

I have the same saturn and 178k miles and it is suppose to have 5W30
in it. I use nothing but synthetic and never have oil problems.
Old December 25th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
John Doe[_5_]

Bob, thanks. I have been reviewing my Haynes repair manual and it says the
same thing. It mentions an oile pressure relief valve in teh housing. I'm
begining to think it has something to do with that. The oil light has done
this before early this year and then stopped acting up until just recently.
For the $$ I can try a new sending unit to see what happens 1st.