94 SC2 Hard to start sometimes

Old November 29th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Fred[_14_]

Default 94 SC2 Hard to start sometimes

Hi

Car: 94 SC2 Aprrox 160K miles. Auto. All original.
Normally starts and runs fine.

Lately, if you shut it off and come back between 15 min and an hour
later and go to start it the following happens:
An initial cough from the engine, and then it just cranks like it is
getting no gas. If you floor it will start eventually.

If you shut it off and come back in a few minutes or a few hours later it
starts fine.

Plugs, wires, and rotor replaced.
Alas, same symptoms.

Replaced: PCV valve. Looked bad.
Alas, same symptoms.

Cleaned: Throttle body, IAC valve, throttle position sensor.
So far so good after 1 day, but I don't trust it.

Other anomolies:
The idle seems a bit high also. 1200 or so on the dash gauge (Same as before
all this).
Fan comes on for some reason 2 minutes after you start it cold, then shuts
off
about 10 minutes later. Never did that before. And its winter here in Ct.
I didn't check for any diagnostic codes. No check engine light or other
indications
of trouble.

Anyone have any ideas what to try next?

Old November 30th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "Fred" > wrote:
>Hi
>
>Car: 94 SC2 Aprrox 160K miles. Auto. All original.
>Normally starts and runs fine.
>
>Lately, if you shut it off and come back between 15 min and an hour
>later and go to start it the following happens:
>An initial cough from the engine, and then it just cranks like it is
>getting no gas. If you floor it will start eventually.
>
>If you shut it off and come back in a few minutes or a few hours later it
>starts fine.

I used to have a '96 Buick Roadmaster that exhibited exactly the same
symptoms, beginning at close to the same mileage. Problem turned out to be the
fuel pump (pumping pressure was about 1/3 of spec).

Had you noticed that the problem is worse if you're parked on a slight uphill
slope?

Old December 1st 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Fred[_14_]

Doug...
And what do you know. I do park it on a slight
uphill slope! I'll have to check out that fuel pump next!
Fred

Old December 1st 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
jimhigh66

Another possibility might be one or more fuel injectors leaking. (For a
short time after the engine is shut off not enough fuel leaks in to be a
problem but a little longer and there is enough ["flooded"]and longer
still the fuel pressure has bled off and no more gas leaks in and what did
evaporates and it will start OK.) That's my theory -- don't know if that's
it or not. I had a '93 Nissan pickup that had a similar problem though it
would always start -- eventually. But I sold it (let the buyer know)
before I ever confirmed it.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...makers.saturn/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old December 1st 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
justastreekin

I had on my 93 sl2 two of the injectors would stick! and not opperate , the
thing is they go bad gradually ,the best thing to do would be take them
somewhere to get cleaned and checked, mine did not leak, they can be
cleaned on the car but that wont help one that is sticking and injector
cleaner will not help an injector that is going bad !!! they should be
replaced as a set.

Old December 1st 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
jimhigh66

After re-reading and thinking about the other problems a bit more I'm
thinking you may have a faulty sensor that is giving the computer
incorrect informtion. But I would think your check engine light should be
on ( are you sure the lamp is OK -- does the check engine briefly light
when you turn the key and start? ). Hopefully a Saturn expert will
comment.

Old December 1st 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "Fred" > wrote:
>Doug...
>And what do you know. I do park it on a slight
>uphill slope! I'll have to check out that fuel pump next!
>Fred

Imagine that. :-)

Check the fuel pump pressure, compare it to spec, and let us know what you
find.

.. .

Old December 2nd 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Fred[_14_]

The check engine light comes on fine when you turn the key to the run
position. Just not on when running! I will check if there are any stored
codes.

I will have to probably start with getting a fuel pressure tester. Maybe at
Autozone this weekend!

The injector malfunction posibility looks like a likely place to investigate
if the
fuel pressure looks ok.

Fred

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 6th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Fred[_14_]

Hi Saturn fans.

On a hunch I replaced the Coolant temperature sensor that goes
to the PCM. Fan coming on cold was one of the anomolies.
Old one measured 21K Ohm cold. New one measured
6K Ohm cold. Book said about 5.6K cold so old one way off.
All problems gone! A miracle fix at $10.00 from Autozone.
To all a Merry Cristmas and a Happy new year!

Fred

Old December 30th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
dorman68

I would try an ECT - (engine coolant temp sensor). They are notorious
for going bad.

--
dorman68
dorman68's Profile: http://www.gmforum.com/online/member.php?userid=442

Hard start Dioclese VW water cooled 9 February 7th 08 01:51 PM
Hard to start... Seahag Jeep 17 June 18th 06 05:26 AM
83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond! Mark Amero BMW 11 August 4th 05 10:39 PM
83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond! Mark Amero VW water cooled 3 August 4th 05 02:15 AM
hard to start Jim85CJ Jeep 2 July 4th 05 03:09 AM