Who killed the electric car (old theread)

Old December 1st 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
PerfectReign[_1_]

Default Who killed the electric car (old theread)

oppie turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

> The Pacific Electric railways were torn out and most of the neighboring
> property owners grabbed the land back so that it is now impossible to run
> any mass transit system along them (such as bus ways, new electric
> trolleys, or monorails). Â* Typical Los Angeles short-sightedness.

Actually...

....If you look back, the PE red cars were losing money big time. They were
on life-support from the '20s and by the '30s were simply existing (similar
to Amtrak) on government funds.

No one was crying when they went.

Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it. - Dee
Hock
Old December 13th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Gyzmologist[_2_]

Default Who killed the electric car (old thread)

The Tesla Roadster will go 244 miles on a charge.

http://www.teslamotors.com

By contrast the Chevy Volt will only go 40 miles on a charge - how lame
is that! If that is enough for someone to get to work and back, they
wouldn't be able to run any errands. GM hasn't really changed since the
days of the EV-1.

Aptera makes an electric version of their commuter car, the 2e, that I
think is incredible. They once published the estimated range of the all
electric version, which I believe was around 200 miles, but I can't find
that information on their new web site.

http://www.aptera.com

Gyz

[snip]