Replacing E30 control arms and bushings

Old October 15th 11, 11:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected][_2_]

Default Replacing E30 control arms and bushings

This is a job I need to do and I've read the Bentley manual as well as
looked up some things on line. Still I have a few questions for those
who have been through this before.

If I re-use the bushing brackets (lollipops) is a conventional
hydraulic shop press all that is needed to install the new bushings in
the brackets? I have such a press.

Now I've heard that getting the control arm nubs into the bushings is
a real pain but have not been able to find any information on how
people have done this. I know to use liquid soap or something else
that won't harm the rubber as a lubricant.

I know it is possible to buy bushings already mounted in brackets.
Can anyone suggest a good source for these in the U.S.?

Thanks,
Christopher
Old October 16th 11, 12:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>
>If I re-use the bushing brackets (lollipops) is a conventional
>hydraulic shop press all that is needed to install the new bushings in
>the brackets? I have such a press.

You don't even need that, an arbor press will do. First time I ever did
it, I was helping a friend of mine and we didn't even have a bench press.
We took a drill press, put a large-diameter bit in the chuck backwards
and cranked down.

>Now I've heard that getting the control arm nubs into the bushings is
>a real pain but have not been able to find any information on how
>people have done this. I know to use liquid soap or something else
>that won't harm the rubber as a lubricant.

It's a pain to get it out, it's a pain to get it back in. These days
there's really no reason to do it unless you want to put in some goofy
racing bushings or something.

>I know it is possible to buy bushings already mounted in brackets.
>Can anyone suggest a good source for these in the U.S.?

Just replace the whole assembly. It hardly costs any more than the bushing
and it'll save you a huge amount of time. Buy it from the dealer if you
want, or Bavarian Autosport if you prefer.
--scott
Old October 16th 11, 12:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Old November 3rd 11, 05:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected][_2_]

I'm posting a follow-up for anyone who might come across this thread
in the future. The only trick to this job was removing the nuts on
the inner ball joints. They are up against the motor mounts and with
other things in the way it is tough to get a good mechanical advantage
and leverage with a swivel. All other nuts and bolts can be easily
accessed with tools you would already have if you plan to do this
yourself.

For the inner ball joint nut on the driver's side I used a 3/8 drive
22mm socket which I had ground down the top portion into a cone shape,
a wobble extension, and several long extensions. While maybe not
necessary I removed the air flow meter box so I could see what I was
doing easier. For reinstalling I had to use an open end wrench on the
inner ball joint nut from underneath the car. You can only swing it
a bit, then have to flip the wrench, and repeat many times.
Eventually I could get the socket back on the nut and finish that way.

The inner ball joint nut on the passenger side is readily visible but
the exhaust system prevents you from getting a good angle with a
swivel. I used a lot of PB Blaster, and heated the nut with a torch.
Final touch was a 22mm crowfoot wrench with a wobble extension,
several long extensions, breaker bar and pipe extension. You have to
be really careful so as not to slip off the nut when initially
breaking it loose. Once it loosens it is possible to use the modified
socket and swivel.

About the bushings, they were the least of my troubles. I ordered the
ones with the holders already installed from Bavarian Autosport. I
installed these on my new control arms before attaching the control
arms to the car. Dishwashing liquid was used as a lubricant. By
pressing and twisting by hand I got the bushings started. Then I took
a large socket, might have been 1", set this on the bushing and drove
it on with a rubber mallet. The socket puts all the force on the
inner ring of the bushing so it won't be damaged. Note that it still
took some force to drive these on.

That being said, if I were only replacing those bushings and leaving
the control arms on the car, here is what I would do: Drive the front
of the car up onto some ramps, then jack up the back end and put some
blocks under the rear wheels. That would some room to lay on the
ground beside the car and swing a mallet to get the new bushings on.
If you had access to a lift, it would be really easy.

Christopher

Old November 5th 11, 02:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

wrote:

>If you had access to a lift, it would be really easy.

Yes, that would be *very* convenient, at times. I wonder what one of
them costs. 8)

Good post.

Old November 5th 11, 02:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

wrote:

>If you had access to a lift, it would be really easy.

Yes, that would be *very* convenient, at times. I wonder what one of
them costs. 8)

Good post.

Replacing Distributor bushings 009 CoalMineCanary VW air cooled 1 January 16th 10 09:50 PM
BMW E30 Control Arms Bob Smitter BMW 2 January 4th 10 04:16 PM
Need Help With A4 Control Arms [email protected] Audi 1 April 13th 07 06:16 AM
Why Would ABS Problem Require Replacing Control Arms? Steven L. Technology 8 July 15th 06 10:02 PM
Why Would ABS Problem Require Replacing Control Arms? Steven L. Honda 8 July 15th 06 10:02 PM