LA drivers let tank go dry - Get FREE handout of gas!!

Old April 26th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

Default LA drivers let tank go dry - Get FREE handout of gas!!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/25/lif...eut/index.html

Drivers run out of gas to save money

Tuesday, April 25, 2006; Posted: 9:42 p.m. EDT (01:42 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Some California drivers are
resorting to desperate measures to beat the surge in gas prices at the
pump -- deliberately running dry on the state's freeways and simply
waiting for rescue.

"Every time fuel goes up, we start noticing it. But right now we are
noticing it a lot more," Andy Lujan, owner of California Coach Towing
in Orange County, said Tuesday.

Lujan's 20 trucks roam the busy freeways of Orange and Los Angeles
counties as part of a publicly funded patrol that gives a free gallon
of gas to drivers who have run out of fuel. It also offers other basic
assistance to drivers whose vehicles have broken down.

"You say to some of them 'hey, you've run out of gas' and they say
'yeah, it's too expensive.' I think the percentage is going to
increase," Lujan said.

Gas prices in California, where the car is king, are some of the
highest in the nation at more than $3 a gallon and rising.

Moshe Ben Dayan, whose TipTopTow company performs a similar service in
Los Angeles' affluent west side, said some people were taking
advantage of the freeway service patrol.

"There was one guy a while back who was stopping every morning and
trying to get his one free gallon," said Dayan. "I think it is going
to be more drastic when the price of gas is closer to $4 a gallon."

----------------------------

If they're driving an SUV, the vehicle should be impounded for 60 days
at owner expense.

Old April 26th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/25/lif...eut/index.html
> If they're driving an SUV, the vehicle should be impounded for 60 days
> at owner expense.

Phooey, they ought to do that to any driver who runs out of gas.

I mean, it's one thing to run out of gas in a very remote area with no
services for tens or hundreds of miles on a road you've never traveled
before, but to run out of gas in a large suburban or urban area with
numerous gas stations, etc. is absurd. If one is too stupid to realize
they need to put gas in the car, or can't afford it, they don't need to
be operating a motor vehicle.

It may cost more initially to tow and impound every one of the people
that run out of gas, but eventually, people will learn their lesson.

Old April 26th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

In the areas that still don't require pre-payment look for a BIG
increase in the number of drive-away thefts of gasoline. Also look for
gas thefts by siphoning and breaking into private and government
garages with pump facilities.

Old April 26th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote: <brevity snip>
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/25/lif...eut/index.html
>
> Drivers run out of gas to save money

help please can't breathe
-----

- gpsman

Old April 26th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

How long does it take to get your free gallon of gas? An hour? A half
an hour?

I find it hard to believe people think their time is only worth $3 - 6
an hour.

Old April 26th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/25/lif...eut/index.html
>
> Drivers run out of gas to save money
>
> Tuesday, April 25, 2006; Posted: 9:42 p.m. EDT (01:42 GMT)
>

> LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Some California drivers are
> resorting to desperate measures to beat the surge in gas prices at the
> pump -- deliberately running dry on the state's freeways and simply
> waiting for rescue.

So they blow an hours worth of work making at LEAST $5.75 to save $3?
Yeah, sounds like clear headed Californians to me.

Maybe they should give up their $5 morning latte's first.

Old April 26th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

Ha! New Jersey ESP's free roadside assistance gives 3 gallons worth of
gas!

The program works well. The two times I was on the side of the road
they were there quickly. The first time, I was hit from behind. I
pulled to the shoulder. I was still on the phone with the cops when
they pulled up. The 2nd time was when I had a flat and pulled into a
rest area. The truck happened to be pulling up for a rest break, but
they came over and gave me a hand (ok...mostly watched, but I already
had the car up with a 2 ton jack).

Old April 26th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

John S. wrote:
> In the areas that still don't require pre-payment look for a BIG
> increase in the number of drive-away thefts of gasoline. Also look for
> gas thefts by siphoning and breaking into private and government
> garages with pump facilities.

ARe there any that don't require pre-payment?. A year ago i knew a
bunch of them but now it's none.

Old April 26th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

wrote:
> Ha! New Jersey ESP's free roadside assistance gives 3 gallons worth of
> gas!

3 gallons!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's nine bucks and that is way out of line.
SUV welfare, i call it.

Old April 26th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

they should not let their tanks run low on gas, they should be shooting oil
company executives and republicans instead