Ping -> Patrick - Here We Go Again

Old August 27th 05, 12:18 AM
Joe

Default Ping -> Patrick - Here We Go Again

Katrina's coming to visit. Already had her over for dinner yesterday;
she was quite the rude houseguest.

We boarded up, as we heard she was going to be a cat 1 prior to
hitting landfall, which was right on the money. As fate would have
it, she took a southwestern track down into Miami-Dade county before
exiting into the Gulf. Had she kept on going due west, she would've
run right into my front door. We got all the wind (75mph+) and Miami-
Dade got all the rain (over a foot).

Katrina will probably be a strong 2 or maybe even 3 by the time she
hits you guys, so take care and be safe.

Should I make a bad joke about Katrina And The Waves? Nah..

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old August 27th 05, 02:06 AM
AGuyNamedSteve

It's starting to seem like houses down there should come with
preinstalled "board up" bracketry. Then you just have to hang your wood
and wait for the action.

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

Old August 27th 05, 04:24 AM

Joe wrote:
> Katrina's coming to visit. Already had her over for dinner yesterday;
> she was quite the rude houseguest.

It's not good to hear she was a bad girl back when she was just a
little Cat 1.

> We boarded up, as we heard she was going to be a cat 1 prior to
> hitting landfall, which was right on the money. As fate would have
> it, she took a southwestern track down into Miami-Dade county before
> exiting into the Gulf. Had she kept on going due west, she would've
> run right into my front door. We got all the wind (75mph+) and Miami-
> Dade got all the rain (over a foot).

Good to hear you fared okay!

> Katrina will probably be a strong 2 or maybe even 3 by the time she
> hits you guys, so take care and be safe.

They're talking possible Cat 4/131mph+. The latest has it hitting
Alabama/Mississippi state line. But they're still talking the Florida
panhandle too. I think it'll be zero'd in around noon tomorrow.
Keeping my fingers crossed with two more brewing behind Katrina and
only 3 1/2 months to go.

> Should I make a bad joke about Katrina And The Waves? Nah..

Katrina was cool. I saw her back in the 80's when she warmed up for
Don Henley.

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old August 27th 05, 04:38 AM

AGuyNamedSteve wrote:
> It's starting to seem like houses down there should come with
> preinstalled "board up" bracketry. Then you just have to hang your wood
> and wait for the action.

Nah, I'm thinking windowless bunkers made from rebarb reinforced cinder
block walls topped with a steel roof. And that's just the outside
covering. The inside structure would feature steel girders with all
the inside walls being brick.

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old August 27th 05, 01:46 PM
Joe

wrote in news:1125113055.430994.27730
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Joe wrote:
>> Katrina's coming to visit. Already had her over for dinner

yesterday;
>> she was quite the rude houseguest.

> It's not good to hear she was a bad girl back when she was just a
> little Cat 1.

Everything I've read in the papers say how nobody should underestimate
the power of a cat 1. Mobile homes ripped to shreds, 60-ft. trees
uprooted like they were toothpicks. IMO, _any_ hurricane shouldn't be
treated lightly.

>> We boarded up, as we heard she was going to be a cat 1 prior to
>> hitting landfall, which was right on the money. As fate would have
>> it, she took a southwestern track down into Miami-Dade county

before
>> exiting into the Gulf. Had she kept on going due west, she

would've
>> run right into my front door. We got all the wind (75mph+) and

Miami-
>> Dade got all the rain (over a foot).

> Good to hear you fared okay!

Thanks - just a few broken tree limbs and palm fronds here.

>> Katrina will probably be a strong 2 or maybe even 3 by the time she
>> hits you guys, so take care and be safe.

> They're talking possible Cat 4/131mph+. The latest has it hitting
> Alabama/Mississippi state line. But they're still talking the

Florida
> panhandle too. I think it'll be zero'd in around noon tomorrow.
> Keeping my fingers crossed with two more brewing behind Katrina and
> only 3 1/2 months to go.

Yes, I saw that last night. Ironic that Katrina hit us at the same
time Andrew did...

>> Should I make a bad joke about Katrina And The Waves? Nah..

> Katrina was cool. I saw her back in the 80's when she warmed up for
> Don Henley.
>
> Patrick
> '93 Cobra

Indeed - good stuff.
http://www.katw.com/

Old August 27th 05, 01:48 PM
Joe

Now they all come with hurricane shutters. Of course, upgrades are
optional. You can get anything installed from manual accordian
shutters to electric roll-up shutters.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

AGuyNamedSteve > wrote in
k.net:

Old August 28th 05, 08:56 PM

Joe wrote:

> > Joe wrote:
> >> Katrina's coming to visit. Already had her over for dinner
> >> yesterday; she was quite the rude houseguest.

> > It's not good to hear she was a bad girl back when she was just a
> > little Cat 1.

> Everything I've read in the papers say how nobody should underestimate
> the power of a cat 1. Mobile homes ripped to shreds, 60-ft. trees
> uprooted like they were toothpicks. IMO, _any_ hurricane shouldn't be
> treated lightly.

True enough. But Katrina is now a total monster compared to what she
was when she passed over Florida. I feel sorry for New Orleans... with
it now at 902 mb, 175 mph winds, and 20-25 foot waves it'll be wiped
off the map. It'll be the lost city of New Orleans.

> >> We boarded up, as we heard she was going to be a cat 1 prior to
> >> hitting landfall, which was right on the money. As fate would have
> >> it, she took a southwestern track down into Miami-Dade county
> >> before exiting into the Gulf. Had she kept on going due west, she
> >> would've run right into my front door. We got all the wind (75mph+) and
> >> Miami- Dade got all the rain (over a foot).

> > Good to hear you fared okay!

> Thanks - just a few broken tree limbs and palm fronds here.

Despite Katrina's path/expected landfall it looks like we may still get
hit with 60+ mph wind gusts.

> >> Katrina will probably be a strong 2 or maybe even 3 by the time she
> >> hits you guys, so take care and be safe.

> > They're talking possible Cat 4/131mph+. The latest has it hitting
> > Alabama/Mississippi state line. But they're still talking the
> > Florida panhandle too. I think it'll be zero'd in around noon tomorrow.
> > Keeping my fingers crossed with two more brewing behind Katrina and
> > only 3 1/2 months to go.

> Yes, I saw that last night. Ironic that Katrina hit us at the same
> time Andrew did...

I don't know how much more of this I can stand. The house may go up
for sale soon. At this point even something like Kansas or Oklahoma
are not looking too bad.

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old August 28th 05, 09:02 PM
Joe

wrote in
ups.com:

> Joe wrote:

>> > It's not good to hear she was a bad girl back when she was just a
>> > little Cat 1.

>> Everything I've read in the papers say how nobody should
>> underestimate the power of a cat 1. Mobile homes ripped to shreds,
>> 60-ft. trees uprooted like they were toothpicks. IMO, _any_
>> hurricane shouldn't be treated lightly.

> True enough. But Katrina is now a total monster compared to what
> she was when she passed over Florida. I feel sorry for New
> Orleans... with it now at 902 mb, 175 mph winds, and 20-25 foot
> waves it'll be wiped off the map. It'll be the lost city of New
> Orleans.

Indeed. They're toast if they get anywhere near a direct hit.

>> > Good to hear you fared okay!

>> Thanks - just a few broken tree limbs and palm fronds here.

> Despite Katrina's path/expected landfall it looks like we may still
> get hit with 60+ mph wind gusts.

Then you'll feel pretty much what we felt. We had gusts of around 65
or so. Not too bad at all. I ventured outside after we lost power
(totally bored) and it was nasty but I certainly wasn't worrying about
losing the roof.

>> > They're talking possible Cat 4/131mph+. The latest has it
>> > hitting Alabama/Mississippi state line. But they're still
>> > talking the Florida panhandle too. I think it'll be zero'd in
>> > around noon tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed with two more
>> > brewing behind Katrina and only 3 1/2 months to go.

>> Yes, I saw that last night. Ironic that Katrina hit us at the same
>> time Andrew did...

> I don't know how much more of this I can stand. The house may go up
> for sale soon. At this point even something like Kansas or Oklahoma
> are not looking too bad.
>
> Patrick
> '93 Cobra

Sure it's no picnic, but it's just stuff that comes with the
territory. I'll pass on Kansas and Oklahoma though - I'll take a
hurricane over a tornado any day.