Real easy to ruin engine thermostat?

Old October 21st 12, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
geo pearl

Default Real easy to ruin engine thermostat?

I have a v-6 mitsubishi that burst a hose.

It was brought home and was smoking hot.
After forty minutes of trying,
I can't get any water into the block. All
the engine wants to do is get hot.

Do thermostats get ruined after being subjected
to high heat--no coolant situations?
Old October 21st 12, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

geo pearl wrote:
> I have a v-6 mitsubishi that burst a hose.
>
> It was brought home and was smoking hot.
> After forty minutes of trying,
> I can't get any water into the block. All
> the engine wants to do is get hot.
>
> Do thermostats get ruined after being subjected
> to high heat--no coolant situations?

If it got hot enough to smoke the oil/grease the engine is junk.
If you tried to add any coolant when it was hot then it is not even
worth trying to save. The block and heads will be
warped and cracked.

--
Steve W.
Old October 21st 12, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
wws[_3_]

On Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:37:00 PM UTC-5, geo pearl wrote:
> I have a v-6 mitsubishi that burst a hose.
>

> It was brought home and was smoking hot.
>
> After forty minutes of trying,
>
> I can't get any water into the block. All
>
> the engine wants to do is get hot.
>

> Do thermostats get ruined after being subjected
>
> to high heat--no coolant situations?

i CAN SEE IT:

CHEAP stat,
fake maybe.
There are fake airbags, too.
Old October 21st 12, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
None

"geo pearl" > wrote in message
>I have a v-6 mitsubishi that burst a hose.
>
> It was brought home and was smoking hot.
> After forty minutes of trying,
> I can't get any water into the block. All
> the engine wants to do is get hot.
>
> Do thermostats get ruined after being subjected
> to high heat--no coolant situations?

An overheat condition may have resulted from a stuck
thermostat which has failed to open and not vice-versa.

Old October 21st 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
None

"Steve W." > wrote in message
> geo pearl wrote:
>> I have a v-6 mitsubishi that burst a hose.
>>
>> It was brought home and was smoking hot.
>> After forty minutes of trying, I can't get any water into the block. All
>> the engine wants to do is get hot. Do thermostats get ruined after being
>> subjected
>> to high heat--no coolant situations?

> If it got hot enough to smoke the oil/grease the engine is junk.
> If you tried to add any coolant when it was hot then it is not even worth
> trying to save. The block and heads will be
> warped and cracked.

MAY be warped and/or cracked, but HARDLY a certainty,
particularly given the dearth of pertinent information provided.

Old October 21st 12, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gpsman

On Oct 21, 11:38*am, "None" > wrote:

> An overheat condition may have resulted from a stuck
> thermostat which has failed to open and not vice-versa.

Sure it can. A t-stat stuck open (or of too low a temp.) can let the
water flow through the radiator too fast to sufficiently cool.
-----

- gpsman
Old October 21st 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/21/2012 08:42 AM, None wrote:
> "Steve > wrote in message
>> geo pearl wrote:
>>> I have a v-6 mitsubishi that burst a hose.
>>>
>>> It was brought home and was smoking hot.
>>> After forty minutes of trying, I can't get any water into the block. All
>>> the engine wants to do is get hot. Do thermostats get ruined after being
>>> subjected
>>> to high heat--no coolant situations?

>> If it got hot enough to smoke the oil/grease the engine is junk.
>> If you tried to add any coolant when it was hot then it is not even worth
>> trying to save. The block and heads will be
>> warped and cracked.

> MAY be warped and/or cracked, but HARDLY a certainty,
> particularly given the dearth of pertinent information provided.

you have your proboscis stuck up your ass again book boy - "smoking hot"
and "can't get any water into the block" is the /wealth/ of information
you need to know this motor is badly damaged and probably not repairable.

as for your other post on thermostat failure modes, they are not limited
to being open or closed. and whether or not overheating results from
being closed is again not a given. some cooling systems use a bypass
flow design - like honda. thermostat failure in such a system can
result in overheating because it's no longer providing closure of the
bypass circuit - it's "too open" and failing to provide the closure
needed on the bypass.

besides, you've missed the single most important clue of all - this guy
posted on 10/4 with symptoms of head gasket failure. he's clearly been
continuing to drive it in this condition, and direct combustion pressure
into the cooling system is what blew his hose - thermostat is a red herring.

--
fact check required

Old October 21st 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/20/2012 07:36 PM, geo pearl wrote:
> I have a v-6 mitsubishi that burst a hose.
>
> It was brought home and was smoking hot.
> After forty minutes of trying,
> I can't get any water into the block. All
> the engine wants to do is get hot.
>
> Do thermostats get ruined after being subjected
> to high heat--no coolant situations?

buddy, you ruined your ship for a ha'p'orth of tar. you posted before
with head gasket failure symptoms, but ignored the advice given. if
you'd got it fixed back then, the engine would likely have been
repairable. now, it's almost certainly junk.

$150 for diagnostics vs. $3000 for a new motor... easy math for most.

--
fact check required

Where thermostat is in m43 engine?! [email protected] BMW 1 August 6th 12 02:41 PM
b-16a engine thermostat z[_1_] Honda 9 December 12th 07 04:05 AM
Did I ruin my engine? [email protected] Chrysler 5 January 24th 06 11:21 AM
Going reverse with engine off (did I ruin my car?) ozone Technology 14 January 23rd 05 06:22 PM
Did I ruin my engine ??? Mike McAuley 4x4 4 November 29th 04 10:57 AM