sequential rear turn signals

Old June 19th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default sequential rear turn signals

It has come to my attention that the 2010 Mustang apparently has
sequential rear turn signals; however, my understanding has always been
that they were prohibited by FMVSS 108 and in fact a quick google turned
up a reference to a "docket 15333" 6/3/03

Sequentially illuminated LED stop and turn signal lamps are not
permitted. All light sources
must illuminate simultaneously. During the initial stage the stop and
turn signal lamp would
not comply, in this case, with the minimum luminous lens area
requirement. Additionally
NHTSA does not consider lamps with a changing illuminated area to be
steady-burning.

could not find full text of said docket, only a reference to it.

But... go to Ford's web site and sure enough they are advertising this
as a design feature of the new 'stang. Now I think they are cool,
they're certainly far less of a hazard than some things that NHTSA has
permitted (high beam DRLs, HIDs without levelers, lack of requirement
for turn signal repeaters, etc.) but what gives? Can't find any
reference to a rule change or reinterpretation...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 19th 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-06-18, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> It has come to my attention that the 2010 Mustang apparently has
> sequential rear turn signals; however, my understanding has always been
> that they were prohibited by FMVSS 108 and in fact a quick google turned
> up a reference to a "docket 15333" 6/3/03

> Sequentially illuminated LED stop and turn signal lamps are not
> permitted. All light sources
> must illuminate simultaneously. During the initial stage the stop and
> turn signal lamp would
> not comply, in this case, with the minimum luminous lens area
> requirement. Additionally
> NHTSA does not consider lamps with a changing illuminated area to be
> steady-burning.
>
> could not find full text of said docket, only a reference to it.
>
> But... go to Ford's web site and sure enough they are advertising this
> as a design feature of the new 'stang. Now I think they are cool,
> they're certainly far less of a hazard than some things that NHTSA has
> permitted (high beam DRLs, HIDs without levelers, lack of requirement
> for turn signal repeaters, etc.) but what gives? Can't find any
> reference to a rule change or reinterpretation...

I'm no lighting expert, but I think that means the LEDs within a single
lamp. The mustang uses multiple lamps so I believe that is what makes it
legal. technically only the outboard lamps of the 3 need to light.
That's how it is on my '97. Only the corner ones function as turn
signals.

Old June 19th 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Harry Face

I saw a Mustang like 2 years ago with sequential turnsignal, but I think
it was the high end Cobra model.

harryface
91 Bonneville 318,565
05 Park Avenue 84,789

Old June 19th 09, 08:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
SeaWoe

On Jun 18, 8:01*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-06-18, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

> > It has come to my attention that the 2010 Mustang apparently has
> > sequential rear turn signals; however, my understanding has always been
> > that they were prohibited by FMVSS 108 and in fact a quick google turned
> > up a reference to a "docket 15333" 6/3/03
> > Sequentially illuminated LED stop and turn signal lamps are not
> > permitted. All light sources
> > must illuminate simultaneously. During the initial stage the stop and
> > turn signal lamp would
> > not comply, in this case, with the minimum luminous lens area
> > requirement. Additionally
> > NHTSA does not consider lamps with a changing illuminated area to be
> > steady-burning.

> > could not find full text of said docket, only a reference to it.

> > But... go to Ford's web site and sure enough they are advertising this
> > as a design feature of the new 'stang. *Now I think they are cool,
> > they're certainly far less of a hazard than some things that NHTSA has
> > permitted (high beam DRLs, HIDs without levelers, lack of requirement
> > for turn signal repeaters, etc.) but what gives? *Can't find any
> > reference to a rule change or reinterpretation...

> I'm no lighting expert, but I think that means the LEDs within a single
> lamp. The mustang uses multiple lamps so I believe that is what makes it
> legal. technically only the outboard lamps of the 3 need to light.
> That's how it is on my '97. Only the corner ones function as turn
> signals.- Hide quoted text -

Pointless laws can get changed quite quickly in cases like this.
Old June 19th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

So, all those 'scrolling arrow' LED turn signals our emergency vehicles
use are illegal?

--
Paul Hovnanian
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.
Old June 20th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
> So, all those 'scrolling arrow' LED turn signals our emergency vehicles
> use are illegal?

By the book, my understanding is that they would be, although I can't
see a cop pulling over a fire truck.

nate

Old June 20th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4G37Ouy164

Old June 20th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-06-20, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-06-19, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>> Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
>>> So, all those 'scrolling arrow' LED turn signals our emergency vehicles
>>> use are illegal?
>>>

>> By the book, my understanding is that they would be, although I can't
>> see a cop pulling over a fire truck.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4G37Ouy164

Missed the cell phone video one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KluItc365hU

Old June 20th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
>> So, all those 'scrolling arrow' LED turn signals our emergency vehicles
>> use are illegal?
>>

> By the book, my understanding is that they would be, although I can't
> see a cop pulling over a fire truck.
>
> nate

Authorized emergency vehicles are exempt from most of those laws. Also
those lights are NOT the turn signals. They are part of the emergency
lighting system.

I do like one of the new NFPA requirements though. They now require the
activation of the parking brake be a trigger that will shut down any
front mounted white lighting.

--
Steve W.
Old June 20th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Steve W. wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>> Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
>>> So, all those 'scrolling arrow' LED turn signals our emergency vehicles
>>> use are illegal?
>>>

>> By the book, my understanding is that they would be, although I can't
>> see a cop pulling over a fire truck.
>>
>> nate
>>

> Authorized emergency vehicles are exempt from most of those laws. Also
> those lights are NOT the turn signals. They are part of the emergency
> lighting system.
>
> I do like one of the new NFPA requirements though. They now require the
> activation of the parking brake be a trigger that will shut down any
> front mounted white lighting.

I think you mean NHTSA I hope... or is work following me home again?

nate