Pontiac G6 "door ajar" chime problem

Old August 21st 10, 04:33 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech

Default Pontiac G6 "door ajar" chime problem

On Aug 20, 3:39*am, Tegger > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote om:
>

> > I wonder took if it is really the latch or if it is a problem with the
> > computer. *Nothing happens in cars today without going through the
> > computer for a command to power a light etc.

> That's what I'm wondering, too. I find it kind of odd that three out of
> four latches would go "bad" in the space of a year. In addition, the dealer
> is telling the owner that - guess what - she's the ONLY one with this
> problem. When I hear that line, I sense either ignorance or coverup.
>
> --
> Tegger

I'd just bypass the door ajar switch. We got by for quite a few years
without them.
Old August 22nd 10, 12:48 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

Tegger > wrote in
:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
> :
>

>> I wonder took if it is really the latch or if it is a problem with
>> the computer. Nothing happens in cars today without going through
>> the computer for a command to power a light etc.
>>

> That's what I'm wondering, too. I find it kind of odd that three out
> of four latches would go "bad" in the space of a year. In addition,
> the dealer is telling the owner that - guess what - she's the ONLY one
> with this problem. When I hear that line, I sense either ignorance or
> coverup.

Meaningless phrase that's quite possibly the most commonly used one by
all telephone support people and salesmen worldwide. It's true meaning
is now lost to history, but roughly translates to: "I know the answer,
but my boss told me not to tell anyone that we have severe problems".
<g>

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old August 24th 10, 01:33 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

" > wrote in
:

> On Aug 20, 3:39*am, Tegger > wrote:
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote
>> innews:qJSdnTFtHN8pf_DRnZ2dnUV

> :
>>

>> > I wonder took if it is really the latch or if it is a problem with
>> > the computer. *Nothing happens in cars today without going through
>> > the computer for a command to power a light etc.

>> That's what I'm wondering, too. I find it kind of odd that three out
>> of four latches would go "bad" in the space of a year. In addition,
>> the deal

> er
>> is telling the owner that - guess what - she's the ONLY one with this
>> problem. When I hear that line, I sense either ignorance or coverup.
>>
>> --
>> Tegger

> I'd just bypass the door ajar switch. We got by for quite a few years
> without them.

That would work, except for the part where the door won't close at all.

My investigations -- which include many downloads from GM's Tech Info site
-- have led me to the conclusion that simple corrosion is the issue here,
similar to what Ford had, years ago, with the Explorer's latches.

I've advised the owner to have the latches sprayed liberally with (an
apparently Canada-only concoction called) "Krown T-40".

If I get an update to this matter , I'll pass it on here to complete the
thread. If not, I can't and therefore won't.

--
Tegger